Any word on Torchlight ][ release ?

This game is probably going to be great, but they fucked up bad not getting it out before diablo 3 (as well as PoE they screwed up as well).

Their sales will be a shell of what they could have been just because Diablo 3 will probably have so much content.

Would have been nice, if they released TL2 before D]l[, but I still think there is a hungry audience for this game. I think Diablo ]l[ will help fuel people to buy Torchlight II, they will get hot for Action RPG's again this Summer, and after playing D3, they will want something new again to tackle, or maybe D3 is not that great, and will be willing to try a different but similar game.

Plus the price of $20 for Torchlight II is too hard a deal to pass up. I think the $60 price for Diablo ]l[ is insanely high. I am much looking forward to T2 over D3.

The price is right for Torchlight 2, but it just doesn't have the name recognition and branding that D3 will have.

People will not be done with Diablo 3 that quickly, unless they are the play once story typ players. I spent so much time on D2 that I never looked for another game.

Its not that these guys won't be any good (especially T2, lots of talent in that studio) its just that they let blizzard get their first.

People would have bought T2 in mass at $20 to hold them over for a year or so... instead they will have to leave a game that just game out for the same style of game.

Just my opinion.

People will buy D3 in droves. I bet the the same people on here saying they wont once it comes out will buy it. TL2 sales will be hurt by this. The reason it did so well in the first place was because people didnt have a game of this genre to satisfy their need. $60 is the going rate for games get over it. Its not too high its higher than what we are use to but not out of the question.

I will buy both because I havent bought any games so far this year so $80 isnt bad for two games.

Thing is games were still selling for $50 and $60 in the 90s also. It's been that way for a long time. People tend to forget that.

I understand new games at $60 is a good price for 2012. My point is if Torchlight II at $20, will Diablo ]l[ be a 200% better game ? HELL NO

That is a huge price difference between the two games. Torchlight 2 will not be some small little game either, I am sure hours of content wise, the two games should have roughly the same amount of content, graphics wise they look pretty close, T2 going more silly cartoony, and D3 going more mature theme.

i bought a 4 pack of TL2, it came with 4 copies of TL1 also.. that's kind of nice.

Mostly console games were that high, but it doesn't matter. Torchlight 2 is $20, and that is the game this thread is about. Regardless of when it launches, they can have my money.

So with Diablo 3 coming out a month earlier and Guild Wars 2 coming out about the same time, I just don't see me buying Torchlight 2 on day-one, or at all. As far as I'm concerned, they missed the window of opportunity. Unless D3 completely sucks, and I lose interest in it immediately, and judging from the Beta that's not going to happen, I don't really have any reason to buy TL2 anymore.

Just being honest. The $20 vs $60 isn't the issue. The issue is my time is limited and I want to play what's the most fun and interesting. And while we're being honest, lets all admit to ourselves that TL1 wasn't that exciting for very long. In fact, I got bored pretty quick and so did my wife. I'd definately jump on it if D3 wasn't out just for something to pass the time while I waited for D3, but my mindset will be completely different AFTER D3 is released. The game will have to stand on its own merits and not just as a Diablo stand-in.

With D3 coming out this game and guild wars 2 gets a backseat if I even play them at all. They both had a chance if they would have been released first.

So with Diablo 3 coming out a month earlier and Guild Wars 2 coming out about the same time, I just don't see me buying Torchlight 2 on day-one, or at all. As far as I'm concerned, they missed the window of opportunity. Unless D3 completely sucks, and I lose interest in it immediately, and judging from the Beta that's not going to happen, I don't really have any reason to buy TL2 anymore.

Just being honest. The $20 vs $60 isn't the issue. The issue is my time is limited and I want to play what's the most fun and interesting. And while we're being honest, lets all admit to ourselves that TL1 wasn't that exciting for very long. In fact, I got bored pretty quick and so did my wife. I'd definately jump on it if D3 wasn't out just for something to pass the time while I waited for D3, but my mindset will be completely different AFTER D3 is released. The game will have to stand on its own merits and not just as a Diablo stand-in.

Where did you find out the release date for guild wars 2?

I would bet on a Fall release for Guild Wars 2, that is the big MMO release timeframe, WoW and it expansions have all released in Oct-Dec. WAR was a Sept release. ToR was in Dec. EQ2 in the Fall.

Just seems like Fall is the time when big name MMO's come out, not in the Summer.

The rumor mill right now says June 26th. Whether it is or is not, it's clearly getting close to release since they're in beta testing and taking preorders on the website. I honestly wouldn't mind if it was delayed a couple more months to give me some breathing room with all the new releases coming up, but my gut tells me the 26th has a pretty solid ring to it.

TL2 will release in July, if Steam is correct.

I'm a hoarder.. I'll be buying and investing time in D3, T2, PoE and GW2... The more options the better :D

Except inflation hasn't affected the cost of buying movies. Movies have remained about the same price to buy if not gone down.

New movies in the late 80s to 90s were $19.99 to $29.99.

OK? You're making a completely irrelevant point. There could be a billion factors that don't relate to gaming that affected price point of movies, e.g. the cost of manufacturing VHS or Beta tapes to the cost of DVDs and Blurays.

Since all of my friends will be on D3, TL2 is going to have to take a back seat for a while. I'll probably pick it up on a Steam Xmas sale later in the year.

Hopefully the Torchlight team is waiting to see what all Diablo 3 has so they can maybe one-up them in a lot of ways and release their game as the Diablo-killer.

Wow, you lot are a pile of cheapskates. A game that's already 1/3rd the price of most non-shovelware games these days? As for me, when TL1 came out I made a point of buying it direct from Runic on day 1 (full price for day 1ers of course), rather than waiting on a sale on a platform that takes a large slice of the profits for themselves. If you like a game/dev team you support them as best you can (directly, in my case), or else they'll disappear and we'll just have EA left (shudder).

:rolleyes:

And a pile of BS. If that were true, the TL crew would already be under from TL1. With Steam it made them bigger than were they would be without them, specially with its worldwide downloadable distribution and it well established program.

And as long as there is a will, games like these will always be made. There is always something new around the corner to help developers... like kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/807779870/bionite-origins Calling people cheapskates in a horrible economic time??? REALLY? Those "unemployment Obama Numbers" don't include people currently out of unemployment and no job. So yes people want the most for their money.

The main reason I'm picking up Torchlight 2 over Diablo 3 is Borderlands 2. Just a quick and fun loot grab to hold me over until Borderlands hits.

Wow, you lot are a pile of cheapskates. A game that's already 1/3rd the price of most non-shovelware games these days? As for me, when TL1 came out I made a point of buying it direct from Runic on day 1 (full price for day 1ers of course), rather than waiting on a sale on a platform that takes a large slice of the profits for themselves. If you like a game/dev team you support them as best you can (directly, in my case), or else they'll disappear and we'll just have EA left (shudder).

I bought day 1 on Torchlight.

I am waiting on TL2. They took too long and lost my interest. I am no longer excited about the game so spending $20 for something that won't get touched for months makes no sense to me. The few friends who still game got burned out on the first one so don't care about the second one. I also am not going to go in and get hooked on playing with a bunch of mods again only for them to get abandoned because of problems with the tools. This wouldn't have been the case if they had delivered it last year.

I am the same way with movies though. If you promote a movie over a year before the release date, by the time it comes out I will have lost interest and just wait for Netflix.

Calling people cheapskates in a horrible economic time??? REALLY? Those "unemployment Obama Numbers" don't include people currently out of unemployment and no job. So yes people want the most for their money.

That may be the case for some people, but I wouldn't think many on this forum. You cant call out hard economic times if you're rocking something like 6950. I see so many sigs of people on this forum that boas their SSDs, 4ghz quad cores, 12+ gigs of ram, crossfire/sli rigs, ect, then say they'll wait for a game until it's only $20.

If a game comes and you have nothing else to play ATM, there is nothing wrong with buying at full price. If a game comes out and you have other games taking the front seat, there is nothing wrong with waiting until your plate gets cleared before buying it at a cheaper price.

To be honest, I never finished TL1. I may try to marathon it this weekend before D3 comes out because it wont see the light of day afterward. TL2 isnt on my radar, but I'm sure I'll get suckered into it on a steam deal over Christmas or something. Unfortunately for fans, the longer they separate themselves with release date with D3 the more sales they'll make. And if D3 endgame is as addictive as I hope it will be, TL2 might not be in enough people's mind to be successful.

That may be the case for some people, but I wouldn't think many on this forum. You cant call out hard economic times if you're rocking something like 6950. I see so many sigs of people on this forum that boas their SSDs, 4ghz quad cores, 12+ gigs of ram, crossfire/sli rigs, ect, then say they'll wait for a game until it's only $20.

you go tthat right. I don't bitch about a great game costing $60 when I spend thousands building the rig to play them. Of course I'd prefer them to be cheaper but still.

To be honest, I never finished TL1.

Did anyone? Doesn't TL1 keep making random levels forever?

We're using "cheapskate" as an insult on here of all places? I can bet than not one of us paid full MSRP for many(if any) of the components in the PCs we're using right now.

Sweet, just got into the beta. Gamespy is doing beta key giveaways on their twitter. I missed out on the last one, but this one I constantly spammed F5 and entered that sucker in right away.

So retarded. I got the code right when they were posted and runic's website goes down when I paste it in. From 6 codes? Seriously?

So retarded. I got the code right when they were posted and runic's website goes down when I paste it in. From 6 codes? Seriously?

That's what happened to me on the one I missed out on. I'd imagine it's due to the hundreds of people trying to entire codes in within a couple seconds of each other. Still not excusable though.

Are there beta forums? I don't see much discussion in Torchlight's forums about the beta.

There are beta forums. Make sure you forum account is linked to your newsletter account. Some beta posts slip through but the mods are moving them to the beta forums ASAP when they find them.

There are beta forums. Make sure you forum account is linked to your newsletter account. Some beta posts slip through but the mods are moving them to the beta forums ASAP when they find them.

Oh ok, I'm not in the beta. I was just surprised somewhat by the lack of discussion.

Game is super awesome. It's unfortunate that it'll most likely be shadowed by Diablo 3 however. It sucks it wasn't able to make it out before then. I'll still be picking this game up later down the road no doubt though.

I'm too lazy to look at all the posts, but does anyone know if it would be possible to play this game (even if you bought it on Steam) to play offline and possibly without Steam or is that retail only? I mean, 99% of the time I'm online, but still.

I'm too lazy to look at all the posts, but does anyone know if it would be possible to play this game (even if you bought it on Steam) to play offline and possibly without Steam or is that retail only? I mean, 99% of the time I'm online, but still.

If the developers allow TL2 to be played offline, then run Steam in offline mode.

Back