Any WIFI7 Routers out in the wild yet?

regk

Limp Gawd
Hey Folks!

I'm going to be going back to running my own network (giving up my ISP with their sub par AIO unit) and my AC66U is a little long in the tooth. in doing some research it looks like ASUS and TP Link have WIFI 7 units ready to go any day now. If I'm upgrading the router, my mindset is to have something to grow into, not out of. My current laptop supports WIFI 6E, as does my Pixel 7 Pro. My new internet service will be up and running a week from today, and I want to have all of my infrastructure in place before then. Any idea if there are any WIFI 7 units available for purchase now? Google says no, but I also live in Canada , and we are typically last to get anything.... as you can tell by the 66U, I want to buy something once, right, and then not worry about it for like 10 years lol.

I have a chance to get a screaming deal on a D link DIR x5460. I am thinking worst case this would be a solid stopgap for the price until the WIFI 7 dust settles. Fyi the house is 1100Sq ft, plus a finished basement. router would be upstairs in the back corner of the house. key devices are hardwired for CAT6 ( gaming devices obviously lol) I am hoping to have a unit with enough oomph to cover the entire space with a decent 5ghz signal. Will the D Link fit the bill? Any better suggestions? I want to keep latency as low as possible so I am shying away from a mesh network and am thinking a single device may be better.

Thanks for the input!

Reg

Not yet, likely be some out this year, likely not officialy certified though, Asus tends to be some of the first to get them out. As you noted, they are going to be expensive off the batt. Prob worth skipping 6e for now even, unless it is an awesome deal.

Main question would be how much area do you need to cover?

A single Router like that one should cover a 2 storey house and basement in the 2000sqft range or lower

have you considering building something like a pfsense system on an SFX HP or Dell box, then go buy a Ubiquiti AP - this way when you want to update your Wifi, you dont have to change your main router / firewall at the same time.

Hey there, the thought had crossed my mind, I saw the recent LTT video and thought 🤔🤔🤔 I'm 1100 sq ft plus a finished basement. Im getting the dir x5460 for 50$ Canadian (like 35$ US) so I think might fit the bill for now?

Been running my own Firewall/switch/AP for years now. No way I'll ever willingly go back to ISP provided garbage.

I was running pfSense on a PCEngines APU2 for a long time, but I started to hit the limits of what those are capable of so I 'upgraded' to an old Dell SFF PC which is MUCH more capable. Using an old-ass DLink 24-port semi-managed switch off EBay for ~$100 and a single Ubiquiti AP. I should probably upgrade to a second AP since just about everything in my house is wireless.

I have the ridiculously overpriced top shelf, best of the best consumer WiFi 6e Asus GT-AXE16000*.

I own 3 devices that can connect to WiFi 6e.

None of them do. It's just not stable enough yet. The firmware on both ends isn't good enough and the distance is hilariously awful.

Don't worry about WiFi 7 yet.

*I didn't get the router for WiFi 6e, I got it for AMTM, dual 10gb LAN and AImesh, all things it does wonderfully. The WiFi 6e was mostly a curiosity. Also it was a business expense. 😉

Reactions: regk
like this
Hell. I keep an old Linksys WRT54G running DDWRT around for a few devices that only support 802.11b and WEP on occasion.

I have the ridiculously overpriced top shelf, best of the best consumer WiFi 6e Asus GT-AXE16000*.

I own 3 devices that can connect to WiFi 6e.

None of them do. It's just not stable enough yet. The firmware on both ends isn't good enough and the distance is hilariously awful.

Don't worry about WiFi 7 yet.

*I didn't get the router for WiFi 6e, I got it for AMTM, dual 10gb LAN and AImesh, all things it does wonderfully. The WiFi 6e was mostly a curiosity. Also it was a business expense. 😉
Ha, nice! Well I'm picking up the dir x5460 tomorrow AM for 50$, will get it set up and see how it fares...

Well boys and girls, the verdict is in and this thing HONKS compared to my ISP provided router. I can now max out my 300mbps connection at every point in my house (my basement would average 30-40mbps with dropped connectivity)

Overall I figure I'm good for a few years now!

Back