Any way to watch .wmv on an Acer Iconia?

Samury

Limp Gawd
For some unknown reason, Acer decided not to support .wmv files on the Iconia, even though they support .wma. Is there was an app to allow me to watch them so I don't have to buy software to crack iTunes mp4 DRM?

Also, can anyone recommend a good enterprise email app, which also was left out for unknown reasons?

Thanks

I never tried to watch a .mwv on mine...have you tried a converter like AVS4YOU? There should be a trial you can download to convert it.

Not sure why you think you'd need a program to "crack" Apple's iTunes DRM for their own mp4/m4v files when you're talking about trying to play a Windows Media Video aka .wmv file. Your best bet would be to transcode the video to an mp4 container because that's most likely what's causing the problems.

Use HandBrake to transcode the current .wmv file to a proper .mp4 using whatever preset might work for the Iconia - guess you'll need to do some research on that, but I'll bet if you were to use the iPhone and iPod touch preset you'd end up with a nice Baseline encode that should play on pretty much any modern device without issues.

Is the WMV that came with Windows7 a good representative of the format you're trying to play?

Is the WMV that came with Windows7 a good representative of the format you're trying to play?

I'm not sure about that, but the types you get with digital copies of movies is.

To Joe Average, I was referring to my other choice for digital copies of having to have an iTunes mp4 instead of a DRM-free version.

Oh, those things, on DVDs and Blu-ray, the "digital" versions of movies designed for portable devices. If it's a DRM-protected digital copy in a WMV format (and they always are), forget it, you won't even be able to convert it to another form unless there's some way around the encryption and talk about decryption around here is a no-no so... you're gonna have to find a DVD or whatever of said movie to use I suppose.

If you own the Blu-ray or DVD, it's easy to make your own "digital copies" of those flicks using something like AnyDVD HD and HandBrake to create your own smaller and still high quality mp4 (or even mkv container) versions. mp4 is pretty the de facto standard for portable devices in terms of container support these days, so that's still the best option: mp4 container holding an h.264 video stream and an AAC audio stream.

I was hoping for a sample of one of those DRM files so i can play around with it. Wildlife.wmv is about the third time i've actually seen a WMV.

Thanks, Joe, that's something I'll have to look into. It would have been easier just to get an app that lets me watch what I've got, but it looks like I'll be making my own.

Now how about that corporate email app question: any answers?

Back