Any way to use a Dual DVI monitor with a RTX 2080 Ti?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
I noticed they don't have DVI connections anymore on the new cards, I have a Dell 3007 which is dual DVI, is there a way for me to use the 2080 Ti or do I need to buy a new monitor?

You need a powered active DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link converter. You'll probably need to find a more expensive one, as the cheaper ones you'll find around that claim dual link are really a single link channel operating at 340 MHz. This is fine for newer monitors, but some older ones require two discreet channels clocked at 165 MHz.

Dell has one on their site for $139.99.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...to-dvi-dual-link/apd/470-aanw/tv-home-theater

StarTech also makes one, currently selling for $89.99 on Amazon. Be aware that StarTech are notorious for having a high failure rate.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A493CNY

Accell has one, as well, for $91.93 at Amazon. I've personally had more luck with Accell than StarTech in the realm of converters, but your mileage will vary.
https://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-007B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B00856WJH8

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Dan_D
like this

No, that is exactly what Armenius was talking about.

BEST ANSWER: No, it does not actually support dual-link DVI, despite what the official description says. I tried it on a HP LP3065c monitor. (see my and other reviews)

It will only work if your monitor can support an overclocked DVI port running at double-speed, so the list of monitors that this will work with is incredibly small.

Yeah I am thinking the same, why drop 100 on something that might give me issues when I can I just put that towards a new monitor :/

If you have a CPU that has onboard video, you can use your motherboard's DVI out if it has one.

If you have a CPU that has onboard video, you can use your motherboard's DVI out if it has one.

Assuming OP's signature is current, that's gonna be a nope. HDMI and DP only. HDMI->DVI adapters have generally the same issue; you need a high quality active dual link converter if you want to use the highest resolutions supported (1440/1600).

Funny I have the same problem and the same monitor. Awhile back, I had a 3007WFP with a 24" version as my secondary. A few months back, I bought a cheap 4K 32" monitor with the intention of it becoming my secondary monitor, but for now it's my primary with the 3007 as my secondary. I just ordered a 2080Ti and doesn't look like there are any viable options for converting a signal to dual channel DVI 1600p @60Hz. Not for any reasonable price point. Honestly, I'm just waiting for a decent 32" 4K VRR HDR monitor to become my new primary, but there's nothing yet. There's a number of options for 27" but not willing to go that small and no longer want the hassle of mismatched sizes/resolutions. Ironically the 32" 16x9 is effectively the same size as the 3007 which is a 16x10.

My plan is to see if i can run my old GTX 970 as a second video card that can still power the 3007 monitor as a non gaming secondary monitor. My understanding is that the drivers need to be the same. Nvidia drivers appear to be unified since the 600 series, so I should be fine. Maybe. Also I have a MSI Gaming 7 motherboard and looks like I'll be fine for space given the 2080Ti is a triple slot beast. Also have a new PSU to install (HX850i) which will be more than enough. The I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a LG 2UK550-B 32" -- it's currently $412 CDN on amazon.ca.

I noticed they don't have DVI connections anymore on the new cards, I have a Dell 3007 which is dual DVI, is there a way for me to use the 2080 Ti or do I need to buy a new monitor?

I'll chime in since I currently own three of these monitors and ran them on my main rig for several years. The short answer, it yes. I used a Dell 3007WFP-HC on my test bench for all my recent review testing. That meant hooking the Dell 3007WFP-HC up to my RTX 2080 Ti.

You need a powered active DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link converter. You'll probably need to find a more expensive one, as the cheaper ones you'll find around that claim dual link are really a single link channel operating at 340 MHz. This is fine for newer monitors, but some older ones require two discreet channels clocked at 165 MHz.

Dell has one on their site for $139.99.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...to-dvi-dual-link/apd/470-aanw/tv-home-theater

StarTech also makes one, currently selling for $89.99 on Amazon. Be aware that StarTech are notorious for having a high failure rate.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A493CNY

Accell has one, as well, for $91.93 at Amazon. I've personally had more luck with Accell than StarTech in the realm of converters, but your mileage will vary.
https://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-007B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Adapter/dp/B00856WJH8

I've had all of these. The Accell is the better of the two.

No, this will NOT work. Let me be perfectly clear about that. You need an Active, DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. If you don't see a USB cable or something to give the adapter power, it will not work with those monitors. What will happen is that your resolution will get cut down to 1280x800 or 1920x1200 if your lucky.

No, that is exactly what Armenius was talking about.

It will only work if your monitor can support an overclocked DVI port running at double-speed, so the list of monitors that this will work with is incredibly small.

It won't work on those displays. I've tried it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 2080 Ti has HDMI, right? Why wouldn't you just use an HDMI > DVI adapter then at that point since they're both the same connection type (logically and the adapters are much cheaper?

Also, nice first post, marnes, necroing threads out the gate. :p

The 2080 Ti has HDMI, right? Why wouldn't you just use an HDMI > DVI adapter then at that point since they're both the same connection type (logically and the adapters are much cheaper?

Also, nice first post, marnes, necroing threads out the gate. :p

You can, but I'm sure you still need an active dual-link DVI adapter to do it.

Paying $100 for a cable sucks. Especially for an old monitor. Wonder why they are so expensive.

Why wouldn't you just use an HDMI > DVI adapter then at that point since they're both the same connection type (logically and the adapters are much cheaper?

Quite the opposite. HDMI is the alien format whereas DisplayPort can easily pass the signal through by merely stepping down the voltage and mapping the appropriate pins. DP was designed from the ground up with both DVI and HDMI in mind, whereas HDMI to DVI/DP converters, even passive one, always requires some form of additional signal conversion (i.e. far more complicated).

The problem with OP is that they need Dual-link DVI operation mode. There simply aren't enough pins on either HDMI or DP to do that. So you need an active conversion. Those are not cheap. In fact, I've never found an HDMI to Dual-link DVI adapter that could push 2560x1440 that I needed for my Korean 27". All the ones out there that claim dual-link mode fall short of that capability (probably because they are single-link adapters falsely advertising as dual-link).

HDMI to DisplayPort? Sure. HDMI to Single-link DVI? Yep. HDMI to Dual-link DVI? Not if you need something over 1900x1200.

My plan is to see if i can run my old GTX 970 as a second video card that can still power the 3007 monitor as a non gaming secondary monitor.

This will work fine. I ran a GTX 680 along side my RTX 2080 for a while with no issues. I did it just to run extra monitors.

HDMI to DVI/DP converters, even passive one, always requires some form of additional signal conversion (i.e. far more complicated).

HDMI is fully compatible with Single-Link DVI using no "signal conversion" whatsoever. There are cables out there that have HDMI on one end and DVI on the other with no electronics in the cable whatsoever. I use them often. Unfortunately this compatibility only applies to single-link DVI (max 1920x1200) and does not help in the OP's case.

Alright, after foodling around in my case, I got everything working using my old 970 along side my 2080 Ti. I didn't want to shell out $100 for an active converter with mediocre reviews, especially for a monitor that has one foot in the grave. With my MSI Gaming 7 board, I had install the 970 first, then the 2080 Ti below it. Other way around didn't have enough clearance, and the 970 was too big to fit on the bottom slot. I also had to remove my riser entirely to make the room. Now it's time to try this sucker out on a few games!

Now i wait for a decent 32" gaming monitor to be announced. Once that happens, I'll get rid of the 970 and get my riser back!

This will work fine. I ran a GTX 680 along side my RTX 2080 for a while with no issues. I did it just to run extra monitors.

HDMI is fully compatible with Single-Link DVI using no "signal conversion" whatsoever. There are cables out there that have HDMI on one end and DVI on the other with no electronics in the cable whatsoever. I use them often. Unfortunately this compatibility only applies to single-link DVI (max 1920x1200) and does not help in the OP's case.

Which is why I said that an HDMI adapter wouldn't work. I've tried all of the options with modern video cards and the Dell 3007WFP and 3007WFP-HC. I have both (total of three) and I've been using these monitors since roughly the time they came out. I've been using them on my test bench and with my work laptop. I'm telling you the only way to make these work with newer graphics cards without DVI ports is to buy the Accell or StarTech adapters. I currently own both of these. I've used different variants over the years depending on what I needed. I've got a couple mini-DP adapters and one standard DisplayPort adapter. The only one I haven't used is the Dell, and the link above takes me to the Dell site, but not to a specific adapter.

Im using 2 Accel active adapters with my 1080 regular to put my other two 3d monitors in nSurround. It already had one Dual DVI port. It was pretty rough getting information about it at the time, but i am addicted to nSurround and those monitors cost me a mint at the time, also replacing them at the time wasn't really an option either. Nowadays good monitors are a bit cheaper.

I may at some point get one of those curved gaming monitors if they make one that covers my screen real estate for a areasonable price...but i suspect that it will just be a front coew, and not the 'side mirror' views i enjoy in some games so there's that

Im using 2 Accel active adapters with my 1080 regular to put my other two 3d monitors in nSurround. It already had one Dual DVI port. It was pretty rough getting information about it at the time, but i am addicted to nSurround and those monitors cost me a mint at the time, also replacing them at the time wasn't really an option either. Nowadays good monitors are a bit cheaper.

I may at some point get one of those curved gaming monitors if they make one that covers my screen real estate for a areasonable price...but i suspect that it will just be a front coew, and not the 'side mirror' views i enjoy in some games so there's that

I've ran 3x30" Dell 3007's for several years for NVSurround and general productivity and gaming use. I got sick of trying to get games to behave correctly with that aspect ratio. Not only that, but I hated the fish eye effect on the satellite monitors. You also had to buy dual-GPU's to run with higher settings on every game. Even 4K didn't match the overall pixel count, but that really ended up being a good thing. You would have to go to 8K to cover the same screen real estate as 7680x1600. The Samsung KS8500 worked mostly well for me allowing me to have enough of a pixel count for productivity at a size that was immersive. Everything looked fantastic, but it turned out to be too big for productivity actually. I never liked being virtually unable to use the top most portion of the screen. At 7680x1600, I had a similar problem of not being able to use the furthest out sides. It was an FOV that ended up being too wide.

I'm running a single 21:9 display right now, and while much smaller than I'm used to, I like it so far. I think a 43" 16:9 is probably ideal. I'm really looking forward to ASUS' and Acer's 43" 4K displays. The only thing that might stop me from getting one is the potential price. I'd pay upwards of $1,500 for that, but at $2,000 or $2,500 I'll pass on it.

I've ran 3x30" Dell 3007's for several years for NVSurround and general productivity and gaming use. I got sick of trying to get games to behave correctly with that aspect ratio. Not only that, but I hated the fish eye effect on the satellite monitors. You also had to buy dual-GPU's to run with higher settings on every game. Even 4K didn't match the overall pixel count, but that really ended up being a good thing. You would have to go to 8K to cover the same screen real estate as 7680x1600. The Samsung KS8500 worked mostly well for me allowing me to have enough of a pixel count for productivity at a size that was immersive. Everything looked fantastic, but it turned out to be too big for productivity actually. I never liked being virtually unable to use the top most portion of the screen. At 7680x1600, I had a similar problem of not being able to use the furthest out sides. It was an FOV that ended up being too wide.

I'm running a single 21:9 display right now, and while much smaller than I'm used to, I like it so far. I think a 43" 16:9 is probably ideal. I'm really looking forward to ASUS' and Acer's 43" 4K displays. The only thing that might stop me from getting one is the potential price. I'd pay upwards of $1,500 for that, but at $2,000 or $2,500 I'll pass on it.

Thanks for the insights. I have 1080 monitors so its not so bad, and they are i think 27" 120hz 3d monitors. For now it works for me. If i can get a single curved widescreen monitor that covers the same space id consider that (i also have a monitor above those and positioned it to drag up in the control panel where i have temp guages and whatnot)

Thanks for the insights. I have 1080 monitors so its not so bad, and they are i think 27" 120hz 3d monitors. For now it works for me. If i can get a single curved widescreen monitor that covers the same space id consider that (i also have a monitor above those and positioned it to drag up in the control panel where i have temp guages and whatnot)

You can't get the same pixel count in a single ultra-wide monitor. About the best I've seen are solutions that give you the equivalent of two side by side. Here is one example: https://www.newegg.com/charcoal-black-samsung-chg90-series-c49hg90-49/p/N82E16824022584.

Back