Any way to stream from home to remote computer?

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
Is there software available that will allow me to render a game (Steam etc.) from home and play it remotely while traveling? I'm not looking to play FPS games, just games that don't require immediate input. I travel a lot for work and take a laptop with me but it's nowhere near powerful enough even for light gaming.

Thanks.

Remote desktop? In all fairness, just because it isn't FPS doesn't mean its not a resource pig though. Not sure if there's a great solution for this, not in a generic sense anyhow.

Take a look at Nvidia Shield. They have a game service that will probably be better than anything you can stream from your home network.

If you were just talking all home network, steam has $20 hardware that does this to connect to any display in the house and it works amazing --- but that's not designed to be used remotely (from a different network).

I can think of several solutions depending on your particular situation.

One potential semi-generic kind of option (though bandwidth dependent perhaps moreso than others) is to set up a VPN into your home network. Set up Steam's "In-home streaming" on your gaming PC at home; one you've VPN'ed in and appear on the local network, Steam should stream the game to you! I suggest trying this before you travel by first actually playing on your LAN with your laptop to see the overall performance/experience and any tweaks you may need, before taking it on the road. I suggest using OpenVPN by the way - its reasonably easy to configure and doesn't have a ton of overhead compared to some other VPN methods.

Does your home gaming PC have an Nvidia or AMD GPU? If it has a reasonably recent Nvidia, they have something of an easier solution in Nvidia GameStream! You'll need the Nvidia GeForce Experience (I think) to enable GameStream on that home PC - setup is within that application etc. Alternately, you can use Moonlight www.moonlight-stream.com - it is an open source, 3rd party implementation of the GameStream CLIENT. Note that this is just a set of clients - you still need to have a PC with an Nvidia card and GFE to run the server. Its rather frustrating that Nvidia didn't open the entire protocol including the server; it would be nice if AMD would partner with someone or come up with an open alternative.

Parsec - This is a new, hardware agnostic streaming/cloud gaming platform. https://parsecgaming.com/ I believe they have a free service for you to do as described - playing from your machine itself etc, but they make their money by selling access to virtual "cloud" hosted gaming instances as well. I've heard their service works quite well.

Lastly, if you have difficulty or issues getting connected to your home PC remotely, you could actually use either Parsec or LiquidSky 's service to rent a "virtual PC". For someone traveling this may be worthwhile and the prices don't seem too horrible last I checked, but I';ve not used the service myself.

Hope this helps!

you can use steam streaming via vpn and its pretty simple to setup.

If your traveling, and staying hotels.. the internet is going to be your bottle neck.. the connection could be so bad, that you wouldnt be able to stream it at all..

The best you could do is in home streaming.

Steam in home via vpn works good, or if you have a nvidia gpu you can use nvidia gamestream and get the moonlight plugin for chrome. Works just like steam on home except doesn't require the vpn

Back