Any way to revive a dead iPod Classic 80gb drive?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I have an otherwise perfectly functioning iPod Classic 80gb (thinny) that I've been enjoying for a year or two. I recently attempted to sync a large collection of songs onto it via MediaMonkey and it would constantly freeze at around 7,300 songs. So, I performed a low-level format and, well, it crapped out. Windows can't even format it past about 70 percent. The format menu just hangs forever (even kept it going for two days with no luck).

I'm able to get into the diagnostic mode on the iPod, and the hard drive diagnostic scan reveals some odd numbers:

Retracts: 1
Reallocs: 46
Pending Sectors: 1
PowerOn Hours: 103
Start/Stops: 77
Temp Current: 27c
Temp: Min 19c
Temp: Max 49c

This iPod is at least three years old and has seen thousands, probably tens of thousands, of songs played. So the numbers above don't seem accurate at all.

But, I've resigned myself to the fact the drive is probably dead and have already ordered an iFlash ZF-to-CF and 64gb SDXC to convert it into essentially an SSD iPod. But those parts may not arrive for a month or so...

It's a longshot but wondering if anyone knows any disk repair or revival utilities that may be able to disable the bad sectors and possibly format the drive?

Thanks!

Back