Any way to restore my old tablet?

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
Hey all

I have an old Acer Travelmate C110. It's a 12" ultralight with a Pentium M 1.1ghz CPU and 512MB of ram. I currently have Linux Mint running on it, which is fine, but I'm contemplating using it for note-taking duties again and was wondering if there were linux drivers for the wacom digitizer? If not, what are the chances of getting Windows 7 to run on this thing?

Thanks

Ubuntu (mint) will use wacom input w/o issue, in 10.10 .... I had no issues

your issue will be that you will NOT have any good note taking apps with inking avalaible in linux, your best off putting Win xp/vista/7 on it, any of which will work fine

hmmm, i take that back then, i did not realize that there was an inking alternative in Linux....>I could not find any options a few months ago at all when I was using linux on my tablet...good to know

If you can get 2GB of RAM in that unit it should run Windows 7 pretty well. Linux is fine for ink stroking but Windows is a lot better at handwriting recognition. When you've grown accustomed to being able to search on hand writing as though it were character based text there's really no going back.

Well I messed around with it last night and discovered that the wacom does work out of the box - for some reason I had thought it didn't. I did discover xournal, and it looks pretty good. The only thing that is missing is the ability to search handwriting (a la OneNote).

Now my only problem is that the computer goes into standby if i a) start it while plugged in, and unplug it or b) start it on battery and then plug it in.
I think I may just upgrade to the latest Ubuntu, since I'm running and old version of Linux Mint currently.

Go to 10.10 not 11.04.....atleast thats my oppinion with you staying in linux

Well I messed around with it last night and discovered that the wacom does work out of the box - for some reason I had thought it didn't. I did discover xournal, and it looks pretty good. The only thing that is missing is the ability to search handwriting (a la OneNote).

Now my only problem is that the computer goes into standby if i a) start it while plugged in, and unplug it or b) start it on battery and then plug it in.
I think I may just upgrade to the latest Ubuntu, since I'm running and old version of Linux Mint currently.

That is one problem for serious tablet users in Linux; there is (literally) no hand writing recognition software. Windows, on the other hand, has great handwriting recognition and OneNote. However, for casual note takers, Linux works just fine. Onboard is a nice onscreen keyboard for Linux and you might enjoy the Unity interface in the latest Ubuntu version, especially for a tablet. I've stuck to Gnome forever, but just began giving Unity a shot on my tablet, and needless to say, it has come a long way since it's release and many issues I had have been fixed. :)

Yeah, life without OneNote or something better on a digital pen tablet hard to imagine anymore.

Back