Any way to make Vista take up less RAM?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
So, purchased a new laptop about a month ago. it came with Vista Home Premium 64bit and I used it for all of 5 seconds before installing Ubuntu 9.04 64bit. I do dual boot into it to play games every now and then. I have done a fresh install of Vista to delete all the bloatware, but want to know why Vista takes up 1.5 gigs of RAM, the lowest I have ever gotten it was 1.2 gigs, is there any possible way to get it lower? Why does it take up so much memory?

Windows 7 is out there, and generally better in almost all respects. Vista had its chance, now Windows 7 rules the roost... grab the release candidate on May 5th and never look back.

There a number of things that are cached and indexed so that after a while it becomes less of an issue. That's the idea anyway. MS figured, if you bought memory, something has to use it. Might as well be the programs and things you use frequently. Have you ever had a program tell you it didn't have enough memory to run while you were using Vista? - and, yes, as Joe mentioned... windows 7 is quickly coming into it's own.

You would think after almost two and a half years since Vista was released, that this question would stop being asked. Vista uses RAM much more effectively than previous versions of Windows. Plenty of information is out there on why Vista is using more memory, but suffice to say it is a good thing. Besides, you paid for the memory in your laptop....so why are you afraid to use it?

You would think after almost two and a half years since Vista was released, that this question would stop being asked. Vista uses RAM much more effectively than previous versions of Windows. Plenty of information is out there on why Vista is using more memory, but suffice to say it is a good thing. Besides, you paid for the memory in your laptop....so why are you afraid to use it?

Couldn't agree more.

But, if anyone really wants Vista to use less memory, remove some from your system. Problem solved... :p

This is always relevant in this type of thread... :D

notthisshit.jpg

And that tip about removing RAM... brilliant. ;)

Someone on here had a phrase similar to that in their sig. It said if you didn't want Vista to use your memory, remove it from your computer, and place it on your desk.

nlite the hell out of it, and disable superfetch/indexing/other features you deem necessary to kill off

if you want to....

nlite the hell out of it, and disable superfetch/indexing/other features you deem necessary to kill off
Then we'll see another thread by the OP asking why his Vista box is running painfully slow (but with lots of free, unused, wasted memory!)

Its working properly. Quit worrying about how much RAM is being used...it is worthless when it is not being used FYI.

Vista is wasting my memory too. I have 8GB and it says it is only using 31%. How do I make it use the 69% that is not being used? I paid good money for that memory and I want it utilized. :p

Guess you need to install more software so Superfetch can cache more... apparently you just don't use that machine enough or have enough installed to even make a dent in the available RAM. :D

vLite is something that's best avoided, it really is. Leave it alone is even more prevalent with respect to Windows 7... there ain't nothing people are going to do that'll make it that much better. It's just not worth the risk and it does create problems that will manifest sooner or later...

vLite can do wonders for Vista. Only avoid vLite if you're not willing to test rigorously in a vm with all the apps you use for every option you select, and even then be prepared to start all over again if there is still something that doesn't show up till you do the actual install/comes up in usage. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea to gain substantial performance, then just leave it be. That said, my Vista is vLited to hell and back, works flawlessly (though I'll admit, it took a while to get it there [been using/testing since nuhi released the first version]) and its faster/less resource intensive then even Barack Obama aka Jesus aka Windows 7. I'll put money on it. And I wouldn't have it any other way. And also learn what every component in vLite does and its dependencies in the OS obviously. For example, I don't use ReadyBoost cause I have 4 GB of ram. But I don't remove it because your startup time actually decreases if you remove it via vLite. Like I said, it can do wonders; but it takes time/dedication on your part.

Last edited:
vLite is something that's best avoided, it really is. Leave it alone is even more prevalent with respect to Windows 7... there ain't nothing people are going to do that'll make it that much better. It's just not worth the risk and it does create problems that will manifest sooner or later...

eh, as long as the user takes special care to avoid mucking around with core libraries/system files, vlite can be a great thing.

i mainly use vlite to eliminate superfluous drivers and programs (ones that I know aren't dependencies for anything), and for setting up some default settings....

*love my v/n lite...

Vista likes to use up your RAM so that Firefox loads .02 seconds faster.

Like seriously, the RAM is just sitting there empty, why not fill it up with crap your not using?

I wish Vista used 105% of my RAM.

And every village has their idiot/troll.

Some villages being worse off than others, in that regard.

Basically, you're much better of letting Vista cache things in your memory, since there aren't really any draw backs seeing how the RAM isn't being used for anything else, and that loading programs straight from memory is a good bit better than loading them from slow I/O.

Some villages being worse off than others, in that regard.

Basically, you're much better of letting Vista cache things in your memory, since there aren't really any draw backs seeing how the RAM isn't being used for anything else, and that loading programs straight from memory is a good bit better than loading them from slow I/O.
Yep, I/O is weak sauce.

Back