Any way to increase sound volume?

xuerebx

Limp Gawd
I'm transferring a song but the sound volume comes out too low on my htc wildfire S. It's only some particular songs from a CD and I'm trying to find a way to increase their volume.

Is it possible?

PS: The songs that were already in my mobile + other songs like techno and dance songs' volume come out very high (the volume is at the highest), so it's only this particular CD I'm having a problem with.

I'm thinking some kind of music editor could do the job? Thanks.

In the past I would have used Azid to boost the gain on the file. However, I don't know what the latest and greatest tool to do so is. It can be done though. I would assume that if you own the original CD you could probably find a ripper that would boost the gain on the fly while ripping/compressing.

I'm trying to use MP3gain right now. The default db is 89, I'm trying to increase the number, it should increase the sound apparently.

And yeah, I do own the original CD.

If they're mp3 files, get MP3Gain and adjust the level(s) to 92 or 95 dB to get a decent "boost" in the volume. Note that MP3Gain does NOT do normalization and the effect is completely reversible meaning it does not permanently alter the file data itself. It merely adds a tag that almost every mp3 player of any kind can read that tells the player "Ok, this should be played this loud" which is above and beyond the normal volume control.

I hand-rip all my tunes and hand-tag them individually, and also add art manually too (took a long time but it was worth it over the years since so many other folk can't do encodings/tagging for shit), and then use MP3Gain so my entire collection of 2,000+ CDs converted to mp3 files (LAME V0) are all playing at 92 dB across the board... means I don't have to touch the volume control ever. :)

DOH!!! Got stuck on the posting and delayed before I could finish, hence the time difference but, seems the OP is on the right track with MP3Gain. :) Load the mp3 files into MP3Gain, set it for 92 or 95 dB (you may encounter clipping on some low volume files, which is normal - again, the files are not being altered, just that metadata tag is in there and easily removed leaving the original volume/file untouched, this is NOT normalization which alters the file permanently), then hit Track Gain and it'll set every file to the chosen dB level you want. mp3 files can only be adjusted in 1.5 dB increments so, 92 dB is 3 dB "louder" than the industry standard of 89 dB - 3 dB is a doubling of the audio volume based on the math principles, it gets complicated.

Also, most modern music is mastered so it's pretty close to 0 dB anyway (aka 100 dB on that scale with the 89 dB standard). In other words, today's modern tunes are too fucking loud, period - using MP3Gain to lower all of it to 92 or 95 dB can make it somewhat easier to tolerate but, the damage to the dynamics was already done in the mastering process...

Thank you for the info.

I managed to increase the volume (although still not loud enough), but it's Ok now for a ringtone.

If it's for a ringtone, I'd say experiment with boosting it up to possibly 98 dB and see if you can tolerate it - it'll probably clip and distort so, it's up to you I guess. I use the classic AT&T Merlin phone system ring tone on my cell phones, it's pretty loud and a simple sound which can be safely boosted pretty high. But actual musical content for a ringtone is complex and can distort pretty easily.

Back