Any way to get Windows 7 to show my overclocked freq in System Properties? Bios?

crewxp

Limp Gawd
Hey, random quick question. Is there any way to get Windows 7 to show my overclocked voltage in System Properties? Is there a setting in Bios I have to turn on/off? It shows I'm running 2.67Ghz @ 2.67Ghz always, no matter what I overclock to. Of course, cpu-z shows the right one.

Thanks.

nope.. thats the way windows is designed.. either use the gadgets on the desktop or use cpu'z or realtemp or coretemp.. they all show that information.. but windows its self will always show the full load speed.. even though its usually wrong if you changed the stock multiplier..

thanks sirmonkey. so if I changed the multiplier from 21 to 20, it should PROBABLY should show up correct? Or no?

Or.. turn off SpeedStep? (So that way my frequency doesnt fluctuate?)

thx

Windows Control Panel > System or Device Manager never going to show you real frequency.

Why? Those panels do not do real time detection nor testing of your CPU. They simply read the device name / id from the device (e.g. your CPU) and simply display the device description string the CPU returned to them.

For example, the "Intel (R) Core (TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4Ghz 2.4Ghz" that I am seeing in my system information panel is nothing more then a device id string that CPU is returning to OS. In addition, those panels are merely designed for quick reference and info to average consumer (i.e. house wifes), and not for enthusiast like us.

I am not aware of any build-in tool that Windows has that would measure the real CPU frequency for you.

Windows Control Panel > System or Device Manager never going to show you real frequency.

Why? Those panels do not do real time detection nor testing of your CPU. They simply read the device name / id from the device (e.g. your CPU) and simply display the device description string the CPU returned to them.

For example, the "Intel (R) Core (TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4Ghz 2.4Ghz" that I am seeing in my system information panel is nothing more then a device id string that CPU is returning to OS. In addition, those panels are merely designed for quick reference and info to average consumer (i.e. house wifes), and not for enthusiast like us.

I am not aware of any build-in tool that Windows has that would measure the real CPU frequency for you.

pretty much yeah.. cant say it any better of a way then you did..
but i believe it reads the multiplier as well.. since it correctly shows my overclock on my phenom II 940 with the multiplier but fails miserably when i overclock only with the FSB and leave the multiplier stock.. 17x multi= 3.4ghz.. when using FSB 230x15= 3ghz in windows which is the stock speed since 15x is the stock multiplier.. even though its actually 3.45ghz..

I've never had a problem having it show up either...

As long as it shows in the BIOS I think Windows see's it.

Either way that string comes directly from CPU. Therefore, if CPU wants to dynamically generate that strings (thus showing any overclock speeds) then Windows will read it and display to a user as is.

If your CPU wanted to return "I love cheesez!" string, Windows wouldn't care one bit.

Yeah. Hmm, strange. There has to be a SPECIFIC reason why windows shows it the way it does. About 3/4 of the users screenshots I've seen shows their overclock, the other 1/4 which I'm in doesn't.

Hmm

My W7 shows the overclocked speed properly. I do have SpeedStep enabled, which causes it to usually show the slower (downclocked) speed of 2.53GHz.

Back