Any way to force drain a phone battery? (Frozen phone trying to power cycle)

Fifliffl

Limp Gawd
My S8 Plus went to a black screen in the middle of texting and now only shows any signs of life by a thin white line that appears near the top of the screen when holding the power button down. In the past I would just pull the battery from my phone to fix something like this but thats not an option anymore. Its been 2 days and the battery still seems to be alive as I still see the white line flicker when I hold down the power button. Unfortunately I am pretty sick and haven't been able to go to the carrier store so I am hoping the battery will die and I can reboot it with the charger later.

Anyone have any advice on how to force the battery to drain when the phone is in this condition?

Thanks!

Are you holding the power button down for a extended period of time, like 20 seconds or longer? That will usually kill an Android device to power off completely but if the phone is "dead" internally then it might not respond to such actions at this point. As for it just draining there's nothing you can do at this point since it's non-responsive in the normal functionality, all you can do is leave it on (if holding the power button for > 20 seconds doesn't do it) until the battery is dead and it powers off.

Are you holding the power button down for a extended period of time, like 20 seconds or longer? That will usually kill an Android device to power off completely but if the phone is "dead" internally then it might not respond to such actions at this point. As for it just draining there's nothing you can do at this point since it's non-responsive in the normal functionality, all you can do is leave it on (if holding the power button for > 20 seconds doesn't do it) until the battery is dead and it powers off.

Yeah I've been holding the power button for 2 days now every once in awhile for a max of 30 seconds (mississsippis included!). It just flickers that thin horizontal line on the screen while holding it down otherwise its completely black when no buttons are pressed. No tricks like connecting a USB C power cord to nothing to leach power or anything?

Samsung and Tmobile support told me I could have it replaced for free but I would have to wait 3 weeks for a replacement..and thats unacceptable for being without a phone

Nope, if it's not responding to any of the standard ways to power off the device then it's toast and if you've spent the money on it then you better get it shipped off ASAP to get it fixed and back in your hands I suppose. Couldn't hurt to take it to a T-Mobile store and raise hell about it maybe, they could either a) get sick of your ranting and just swap you out a new S8+ there on the spot or b) call the police and have you arrested, seems easier to ship it off and get it fixed since there's not much else you can really do at this point.

This is the equivalent to removing the battery and putting it back in:

You have to hold the power button as well as the volume down button. This is a hardware switch so no kind of software lockup will keep it from working. Any phone that has a sealed battery has a reset feature like this.

Yeah mine just flickers that white line when I try this... guess its a hardware failure and I'll have to wait the 3 weeks?

"It's dead, Jim... and the nearest Starbase is at least 3 weeks away round trip..." to paraphrase a famous old saying. :D

Yeah mine just flickers that white line when I try this... guess its a hardware failure and I'll have to wait the 3 weeks?

Yeah, that's a complete hardware failure then and I wouldn't expect it to recover from it at all. You shouldn't have to wait at all for a replacement if you're in the US and got your phone from a carrier. Any carrier should swap the phone out for you in store without an issue since it's still under warranty.

Edit: I see you're on T-Mobile.. not sure why they would tell you you'd have to wait 3 weeks? I've been on Verizon and T-Mobile and they have both replaced phones on the spot in-store immediately for warranty replacements.

Yeah, that's a complete hardware failure then and I wouldn't expect it to recover from it at all. You shouldn't have to wait at all for a replacement if you're in the US and got your phone from a carrier. Any carrier should swap the phone out for you in store without an issue since it's still under warranty.

Edit: I see you're on T-Mobile.. not sure why they would tell you you'd have to wait 3 weeks? I've been on Verizon and T-Mobile and they have both replaced phones on the spot in-store immediately for warranty replacements.

Thanks.. oh well :D And the 3 weeks they said they were back ordered on the S8 Plus :/

"It's dead, Jim... and the nearest Starbase is at least 3 weeks away round trip..." to paraphrase a famous old saying. :D

Haha!

How long have you had the original device? It's it's more than 14 days for in-store purchases or 20 days for web/phone orders, then you'll have to wait. If it's been less, you can just exchange it as a defective unit and get a brand new one from store/warehouse stock.

How long have you had the original device? It's it's more than 14 days for in-store purchases or 20 days for web/phone orders, then you'll have to wait. If it's been less, you can just exchange it as a defective unit and get a brand new one from store/warehouse stock.

sadly pre-ordered it, had it since the release about 30 days ago :( but good to know!

My S8 Plus went to a black screen in the middle of texting ...

I am floored this happened to you. This is a flagship device and I understand that they will be defective devices manufactured, but what the fuck Samsung...

Thanks.. oh well :D And the 3 weeks they said they were back ordered on the S8 Plus :/

Haha!

I would insist on being put to the head of the line since you have already been charged for the phone and it is likely the only one you have. People on the waiting list haven't been charged yet and also likely still have a current device to use.

I am floored this happened to you. This is a flagship device and I understand that they will be defective devices manufactured, but what the fuck Samsung...

Hardware issues happen from time to time, even on Enterprise hardware that can cost tens of thousands of dollars. It's how the seller and manufacturer deal with it that matters.

You just stated you understand the odd defective device in a lot.
Then you go on a "WTF Samsung"?

Sure, it's always understandable until it happens to you or someone you know. But that doesn't make it more of an outrage.

And, if the carrier themselves are back-ordered, then how is it Samsung's fault?

You just stated you understand the odd defective device in a lot.
Then you go on a "WTF Samsung"?

I wasn't specific from my first post, but I am outrage by how OP's phone bricked itself while in a middle of a text; I've never heard of that before on a flagship device.

Would plugging in headphones help increase power draw? Not sure if that port is always active.

I wasn't specific from my first post, but I am outrage by how OP's phone bricked itself while in a middle of a text; I've never heard of that before on a flagship device.

Again. Bad unit. They happen. It's like doing all the legwork to make sure a car you buy is a reliable machine. And you happen to get the lemon of a batch.

Quality Assurance only takes you so far.

Tmobile finally got it replaced. Their customer care has really gone downhill since I last dealt with them 3 years ago. After 2 hours of haggling with the first lady that I could barely understand, she charged my card 10 bucks for "expedited replacement". Turns out she ordered me a screencleaner and had that sent to me lol. Another hour of haggling with someone else after that and they sent a replacement. However, yesterday my replacement finally arrived and I'm back up and going again. the Gear VR arrived during this period and got to try it this morning. Its pretty neat!

Thanks all for your help.

You absolutely need to call T-Mobile during daytime (EST) hours. After that, you get sent to the Filipino call center, and they're beyond incompetant.

Take it to a store and moan that first you went through the s7 note ? Fiasco and now you are going through the same thing with your s8 and you cant wait for a replacement as that is your only phone and that you will never eva eva eva eva buy samsung again if they dont see you good today.

But say that to the manager and not some young kid who just works at the store on the weekends

Yeah. As someone with a good friend that's a T-Mobile store manager? "We will direct you to call customer care."

There are processes in place, and you have to go through the proper channels to get the device replaced.

Do you really think they're going to give you a brand new replacement from their stock? No, they're most certainly NOT going to do that.

You can call, and bitch, and complain, and they'll overnight you a replacement device instead of sending it ground. And that's exactly what Fifliffl did last week.

All you're doing by going to the store is wasting your time and theirs.

Back