any way to force 75hz @ 1600x1200 DVI?

sniggle

Limp Gawd
i've recently been reading up on DVI specs and how it's supposedly limited to 165Mhz. i noticed that people were able to force their dell 2005fpw monitors to run at 75hz in the native res, which isn't really far off from 1600x1200. however, when i go to adjust the refresh rate on my samsung 204b, i noticed that at 1600x1200 60hz i'm already at 163Mhz, with pretty much no headroom for a higher refresh. at 75hz the value goes up to 202Mhz and when i hit apply, it doesn't actually do anything.

i noticed that there are other values in the adjustment panel i'm referring to (using nvidia drivers 83.90 on a 7800gtx) such as front porch, back porch etc. these all affect the Mhz value, but i'm a little more wary about adjusting these.

basically i want to know if there's any way possible to get this baby to run at 1600x1200 75hz with the DVI connection. i am currently running it on analog at 75hz but the quality is notably worse.

thanks in advance!

sniggle said:
basically i want to know if there's any way possible to get this baby to run at 1600x1200 75hz with the DVI connection. i am currently running it on analog at 75hz but the quality is notably worse.
thanks in advance!
My 23" HP L2335 is in same boat.
At 1600x1200, to get a vertical refresh of 75Hz, it has to run in cruddy VGA mode.
To run DVI at that rez, the vertical refresh is 60Hz.
These are 2 of the 24 "factory presets" built into the monitor that let it run at many different resolutions.
I don't monkey with Vert refresh, I just select one of the 24 "presets"----depending on rez I want to game at.
I saw a warning somewhere, that monkeying with LCD's Vertical refresh "could" cause [ermanent damage.
(Maybe I'm too cautious cuz the panel cost me 16 Big Ones last yr).. :D

I copied this from a newegg review , I have orderd this monitor, reply plz

A Positive Review

Pros: Well, I can't really suggest anything to the first reviewer here on how to better experience this monitor, but as for me, I love it.
Great Contrast
Bright Picture
Unnoticable Ghosting
Great Black Colors
1600 x 1200 Resolution
I had a GateXXX FPD2185W 21" Widescreen Monitor (1680 x 1050) and I returned it for this because the colors/pictures just looked a lot better to me. The gamma adjustments are better on this monitor as well. Plus, I needed the 1600 x 1200 Resolution. Couldnt get used to widescreen gaming and games like FEAR had annoying video flashes (gray buzz) at 1680 x 1050. But this monitor at native resolution made that go away. Im a frequent gamer and this monitor delivers for me. The driver cd also has some cool options and settings for different viewing purposes. Ive used the 204T as well, which is an entirely different monitor (S-PVA), but the response wasnt enough for me. The 204B has great response, better than the 204T and the GateXXX in my opinion.

Cons: Yes, the vertical viewing angle is horrible, but im not one to look at my monitor from the top down or at ridiculous angles, and I doubt most users do, so it really isnt an issue. Remember, this is a TN(Twisted-Nematic) TFT panel, meaning it delivers the fastest pixel transition (minimal "ghosting" effects) at the expense of inferior viewing angles and loss of color gamut as compared to S-PVA, P-MVA, S-MVA,and S-IPS panels. Contrast tends to be lower on TN panels as well, but hey, it looks awesome to me.
BTW, anyone who says that they absolutely dont see ghosting on their lcd is lying. Ghosting is present on ALL lcds...its just whether its noticable or not. For me & this panel... unnoticable.

Other Thoughts: As far as tearing goes, its something that I don't notice on this monitor. Ive forced refresh rates of 70-75 Hz & it looks beautiful to me. The 5ms response is a questionable manufacturer's listing since they dont list whether its gray to gray, black to white, etc...but the response is good. Word of advice concerning LCDs, don't expect CRT quality in terms of graphics, contrast, & response time. CRT still kicks xxx in this department. Appreciate this monitor for its current state of technology. Text quality on this LCD will be eons better & its healthier for your eyes. Basically, if you're a graphics hog & need that super fast response with superior contrast & you've got at least a 19" CRT that still works well(mine just died), stick with it until better LCDs/OLEDs come out. Yeah, this monitor isnt as silky smooth as my old crt in terms of games, but it is very acceptable & impressive. I played FEAR, Farcry, Doom3, Quake4, Chaos Theory, MOH Spearhead, COD2, & HL2 on it & its awesome

Reviewed By: N/A, 1/28/2006 1:36:12 AM

mongral, he must have forced in VGA mode, which i have gotten to work fine. only problem is that the monitor warns you every time it enters 1600x1200 @ 75hz by saying it's not the optimal resolution. gets kind of annoying, plus the picture just blows with the VGA. with the DVI connection, regardless of what vertical refresh i specify in the advanced nvidia timings panel, it refuses to use that rate (according to the monitor's OSD). this makes sense seeing as at 60hz in native res it's already using 163Mhz of bandwidth which is basically the limit.

mrguvernment, lcd's do use refresh rates in terms of how many times per second they update the screen. however, unlike CRTs, the picture doesn't need to be constantly refreshed in order to minimize the flickering, which is what you're referring to. this does limit the framerate to 60fps though, regardless of what framerate you're actually getting in game. this can cause more tearing and less smooth play unless you use vsync (which really messes me up for some reason). therefore, 75hz or higher is noticeably better for me.

I know this thread is a month old, but I was thinking of the same thing. I just got the monitor after years of CRT and I am not used to playing at 1600x1200. I am not sure if it is just that the 204b is much brighter than my CRT was, or the 60 refresh is straining my eyes.

I put the brightness down to 0 and the blacks look great now and I put the contrast down to 50. This cut down on the staring into the sun effect on my eyes a lot.

I do have a few questions. Do I load the analog drivers or the digital drivers? I kind of did both and now my computer thinks I have four monitors. Two default monitors and one analog and one digital. I tried uninstaling them and rebooting but they keep coming back. I just told my graphics card that I had one display and to use the analog one for now.

Has anyone forced the refresh to 75 and had any problems with it other than the constant remind that you are not supposed to do that?

One more, do I have to run it at 1600x1200 if that is the problem? I am used to 1280x1024 at a 75 refresh?

I am new to LCDs as you can tell.

Back