Any way to adjust the mouse wheel sensitivity?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
My trusty Logitech has screwed the pooch so Im using an old MS mouse. It works fine except that the wheel is too sensitive. It scrolls too far unless I pucker before scrolling. There's no setting for this in the mouse applet.

TIA

Change Mouse Scroll Speed in Windows 10
  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Go to Devices -> Mouse.
  3. On the right, select Multiple lines at a time under Roll the mouse wheel to scroll.
  4. Adjust the slider position to specify the number of lines between 1 to 100 lines at a time.
https://www.google.com/search?q=adjust+scroll+wheel+sensitivity+windows+10&oq=adjust+scroll+wheel+sensitivity+windows+10

Sorry, since this is the Linux forum I thought it would be assumed that I'm using Linux. I'm using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64bit. Thanks.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IMWheel

Make sure you unplug your mouse and plug it back in to ensure nothing odd is going on.

But IMwheel should let you setup wheel scroll on a per program basis... which is nice if you want faster scroll on say Chrome but slower scroll on Libre documents and the like. Most distros have imwheel in their packages.

Wow, somewhat involved isn't it. :confused:

I need to change the setting globally, I have no need to do it per program. I'll play around with it and see if I can accomplish this.

I was reading a thread on another forum that said this issue has been around for years and it was generally agreed that mouse wheel settings should be a part of the mouse applet. I agree. I can see people abandoning Linux completely because this issue cannot be addressed in a simple logical way.

Funny how my Logitech mouse didn't have this problem. Maybe I should just save myself some grief and get another one.

The pointer speed is fine, it's the wheel I'm having a problem with. It's far too sensitive. (i.e. scrolls way too much with a little bit of movement.

I didn't want to give you to much figured better if you did a bit of reading... but imwheel works very well, and you can simply tell it to change settings for everything.

Edit your imwheel config with.
nano ~/.imwheelrc

Add the following text...

".*"
None, Up, Button4, 3
None, Down, Button5, 3

That is all you really have to do.... your basically telling it ".*" for any running program.... tell mouse 4 and 5 (up and down scroll) to operate at speed 3. You can experiment there higher is faster lower is slower. If you do experiment... kill imwheel with;
imwheel --kill
and restart which will pick up any changes you make to its config.

If this works... the arch wiki I linked explains how to add imwheel to auto start with systemd if that is what you want. (and for what its worth... ya it seems the microsoft mice all do funny things under Linux. Shocking I know ;) lol) Once you get it working... it is sort of nice to be able to add exceptions to your config file to change scroll speeds for different software. For my own taste I love fast scrolling while I'm web browsing but it drives me nuts if I'm doing some graphic work or writing using spreed sheets ect. You don't have to add per program changes, but it is very nice if that type of thing appeals to you instead of opening a settings panel everytime you change programs. :) I really don't know why no one has ever made a nice simple imwheel gui front end but editing the conf file isn't really that bad for power user types. my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Back