Any way to adjust Powertune Settings in Registry

As some others suggested, I ended up with using trixxx for getting a simple oc while still maintaining power tune. It's not perfect, but it does get the job done.

Since this thread is already necro'd, mind if I ask one more question?

At anything over 940 or so, I have to increase the power control manually to +20% in CCC or the clocks drop during usage (kombuster/furmark or 3dmark11) at full use. The problem is that power control drops back to +/-0 randomly, including on reboot, even if the last setting was higher.... I use Trixx to increase clocks upwards of 970, and it's been running fine with that, but if I don't turn the settings down before I reboot, it'll drop power control back to 0 and crash the computer infinitely, until I reboot into safe mode and re-load a "safe" registry tweak that resets CCC to 900/1375, which runs fine without any powertune.

So I've done a lot of searching over the past two days on this, and have not found anyone who has overridden Power Control... Just people who seem fine ignoring it? Any thoughts or recommendations?

Since this thread is already necro'd, mind if I ask one more question?

At anything over 940 or so, I have to increase the power control manually to +20% in CCC or the clocks drop during usage (kombuster/furmark or 3dmark11) at full use. The problem is that power control drops back to +/-0 randomly, including on reboot, even if the last setting was higher.... I use Trixx to increase clocks upwards of 970, and it's been running fine with that, but if I don't turn the settings down before I reboot, it'll drop power control back to 0 and crash the computer infinitely, until I reboot into safe mode and re-load a "safe" registry tweak that resets CCC to 900/1375, which runs fine without any powertune.

So I've done a lot of searching over the past two days on this, and have not found anyone who has overridden Power Control... Just people who seem fine ignoring it? Any thoughts or recommendations?

I can't do it because I get a BSOD but msi afterburner running unofficial overclocking to a value of 2 supposedly disables powertune. I was hoping to be able to test this as my theory is that it may keep your card in maximum power state all the time which is what I want. So I'm not sure if you have been around since the beginning of the thread or not but you need to enable unofficial overclocking by adding the disclaimer and using a value of 2 (enable unofficial overclocking and disable power tune) instead of 0 (default) or 1(enable unofficial overclocking)

Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

A little curious note on powerplay, at stock settings I could never get my HD6970 to breach its limiter at 0%, but I found something - OCCT. Neither Furmark nor Kombustor, as far as I can tell, caused clocks to ever drop below 880mhz, but when I run OCCT, they're all over the place, unless I set powertune to +20%, at which point they stabilise at 880, and the fan speeds get quite alarmingly high. That program's by far the most strenuous stress test I know of, much moreso than furmark.

I appreciate the input, and saw your earlier posts on value 2. I ignored it since you didn't have luck with it.... But I'm downloading beta8 right now, and I'll try value 2, and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the heads up and frequent posts... and helping others with their questions!

Well, Value = 2 worked fine now. It is forcing the higher clocks and voltage 100% of the time with afterburner open now... I've got to learn with it for a while, but it's working. I know that it worked because it kept my clocks at 950 with no problem at 1.2v while using kombuster, but I did have a crash when running 3dmark11 (but it crashes frequently for no reason, even at stock settings, in ways that no other program causes crashes, so I've never worried about it).

I'll give some more results later after treating myself to some Cuisine Americana d'McDonalds :D 3 more weeks till I start my new job!

Thanks for the heads up and frequent posts... and helping others with their questions!

It's a pleasure. I have learned much spending time in the community, I find it very important to give back whenever I can.

Well, Value = 2 worked fine now. It is forcing the higher clocks and voltage 100% of the time with afterburner open now... I've got to learn with it for a while, but it's working. I know that it worked because it kept my clocks at 950 with no problem at 1.2v while using kombuster, but I did have a crash when running 3dmark11 (but it crashes frequently for no reason, even at stock settings, in ways that no other program causes crashes, so I've never worried about it).

I'll give some more results later after treating myself to some Cuisine Americana d'McDonalds :D 3 more weeks till I start my new job!

Excellent, I had a feeling that it would work out. Also 3dmark is bugtastic at best. Also what drivers do they find acceptable for AMD these days. The last I used it the program wanted me to use 3 month old drivers instead of the current WHQL's I was on. Anyway, the bad thing about your post is that I'm now going to want to fix my bsod whenever I enable afterburner unofficial overclocking and that's sure to send me on a oddyssey that even oddysseus would dread. It's sure to require some registry editing and clean installs of both msi afterburner and the amd drivers and maybe more. :p

Luckily I don't suffer from the issue where my +20 setting mysteriously drops back to 0, but I would like to keep amd overdrive disabled permanently as it causes some weird issues with my monitors going crazy. BTW I had Cuisine Americana d'McDonalds for breakfast. I had two sausage egg/cheese burritos ala valuemenu with orange juice ;)

Excellent, I had a feeling that it would work out. Also 3dmark is bugtastic at best. Also what drivers do they find acceptable for AMD these days. The last I used it the program wanted me to use 3 month old drivers instead of the current WHQL's I was on. Anyway, the bad thing about your post is that I'm now going to want to fix my bsod whenever I enable afterburner unofficial overclocking and that's sure to send me on a oddyssey that even oddysseus would dread. It's sure to require some registry editing and clean installs of both msi afterburner and the amd drivers and maybe more. :p

I've been on 11.9 with CAP2... They've worked fine for me, and when I tried 11.10 hotfix it threw a wrench into my system, so I'm back to what worked. I was looking for that last squeeze for BF3... Soon enough... Soon enough...

Just for S&G you should try the newer version Afterburner (beta8; why not just release a freakin full version by that point....?)

Luckily I don't suffer from the issue where my +20 setting mysteriously drops back to 0, but I would like to keep amd overdrive disabled permanently as it causes some weird issues with my monitors going crazy. BTW I had Cuisine Americana d'McDonalds for breakfast. I had two sausage egg/cheese burritos ala valuemenu with orange juice ;)

I'm still using CCC because of eyefinity, and with the Racer X patch to up the limits on GPU and VRAM OC, I've been very happy with it long term, it just hard when looking for those higher benchmarking runs where I challenged myself to reach for again... I thought I would be satisfied reaching P10k in 3dmark11... Boy was I wrong. I'm very happy with F1 2010 eyefinity performance, but was upset by the BFBC2, BF3, and Metro2033 performance, so I'm always trying to maximize what I can do with what I've got...

Either way, CCC overdrive with the patch works for me 24/7 long term... Maybe I should just be an ass and buy another 6970 to throw in my machine :p We'll see how the full release of BF3 goes. I'm freakin stoked after the beta!

Believe it or not I've gotten bsod in all versions of afterburner including beta 8 which I'm currently using. I can't wait for battlefield. I was actually going to wait to purchase it, but after seeing the single player trailer that came out today I now realize it's a day one purchase for sure. If multiplayer is buggy as hell I'll wait it out and enjoy the single player until they patch it up. So excited for that game.

I don't mind CCC at all it's actually AMD overdrive that I want to get rid of, I have a issue that comes about once in a while and the only way to fix it is to disable overdrive, reboot and then re-enable overdrive. My theory is if I were able to use afterburner to disable power tune then I wont need to enable overdrive to force my +20 setting, it will probably just stay at +20 without me having to enable overdrive. Then I can use afterburner to handle everything from overclocking to my fan profile etc...

Which issue's this out of curiosity?

A strange issue that I experience where a monitor may randomly go blank during gaming, or a monitor may roll the image up where the top 2 inches of the screen are at the bottom. If I cntrl alt delete and the blue window comes up and then I unplug/replug my monitor it'll fix it. It may happen again and it may not. That problem will continue to get progressively worse until I disable AMD overdrive, reboot and then re-enable AMD overdrive. I tried defaults, different drivers, setting cards to stock settings. Right now it hasn't done it to me in over a month I would say but the early symptoms started again yesterday so I disabled AMD overdrive and rebooted and I was good to go since. My goal is to get my cards at +20 powertune without using amd overdrive. I posted that somewhere else here in this thread. I've heard others mention this error/bug but it's been a while.

That's bizarre, I've never seen that, and I have AMD overdrive unlocked (but stock clocks) to use the fan control. Does it still happen with a fresh install of windows, out of curiosity? Might be one of those infuriating parasitic driver bugs...

That's bizarre, I've never seen that, and I have AMD overdrive unlocked (but stock clocks) to use the fan control. Does it still happen with a fresh install of windows, out of curiosity? Might be one of those infuriating parasitic driver bugs...

TBH I haven't gone to that extreme but I might now. I'm very curious now since Dr Gumby got the afterurner unofficial overclocking 2 working and has found good results. Technically this system was a new build with a fresh install on a new hard drive but the problem didn't surface for a good month so it was kind of a fresh install, however other things could have happened in that month that contributed to the problem.

Just a quick update... This is why I don't bother using AB for day to day usage... only for when I'm doing benchmarking runs...

This is with Overdrive disabled (I looked at it, and noticed that it power control is still set to 0). The clocks on the second card are stuck at higher clocks (and voltage) while the primary card drops its clocks into 2d mode. GPU-Z is also showing 0% utilization on that second GPU.. so I don't know what the deal is.. Kind of weird. This is with nothing running other than GPU-Z and the Kombuster idle screen in the background. The computer knows it's in 2d mode, hence the slowing of GPU1, but as I'm writing this with everything closed, I see that GPU2 is still at 0% utilization but at 900/1375 and 1.1v.

I have "synchronize settings for similar graphics processors" checked. I'll reboot a few times and see what happens (including some reboots with overclocking enabled at startup). I know it's a trial and error thing, but I'll report back with any findings I have.

Maybe I'll just be happy with 900/1375 long term...

Untitled.jpg

After a few reboots, with Value = 2 the clocks just stay in 3d mode 24/7

I figured that would happen. What you may want to do is to set up a 2d profile in the settings of afterburner and a hot key to switch between 2d and 3d settings. It's really easy to do in afterburner. When you boot up you can set it to boot up into your 2d clocks and then right before you go into a game you can click your hotkey/s to activate 3d mode.

that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take if it gets rid of my need to use amd overdrive to force power tune to +20. If I can leave overdrive disabled and enjoy UN-throttled gpu clocks with my overclocked settings I'll have exactly what I want.

A strange issue that I experience where a monitor may randomly go blank during gaming, or a monitor may roll the image up where the top 2 inches of the screen are at the bottom. If I cntrl alt delete and the blue window comes up and then I unplug/replug my monitor it'll fix it. It may happen again and it may not. That problem will continue to get progressively worse until I disable AMD overdrive, reboot and then re-enable AMD overdrive. I tried defaults, different drivers, setting cards to stock settings. Right now it hasn't done it to me in over a month I would say but the early symptoms started again yesterday so I disabled AMD overdrive and rebooted and I was good to go since. My goal is to get my cards at +20 powertune without using amd overdrive. I posted that somewhere else here in this thread. I've heard others mention this error/bug but it's been a while.

TIL AMD overdrive being enabled is causing me massive periods of CPU pause, which makes listening to music unpleasant and playing games really difficult. Stock CPU and no difference, turn AMD Overdrive off, so far so good...
edit: nm, just happened again as I posted that. This windows install has definitely had it, need to reformat tomorrow... :/

Wait a minute what pause. I've been getting a pause lately in stalker complete. Not sure if you remember it but I mentioned it in your afterburner memory usage thread. Could this be a driver problem? I'm using 11.10 preview ver 2 with 11.9 cap 3 installed. I wonder if it's a driver or cap thing and actually not me running out of vram.

I think I'm on 11.10 prev. 2 as well, but it's only been happening recently and the driver's been installed for a while. This was the initial bf3 beta driver, is that prev 2? When I say pause, it'll happen at the desktop, and interrupt the sound as well (thats the most annoying bit)

I think I'm on 11.10 prev. 2 as well, but it's only been happening recently and the driver's been installed for a while. This was the initial bf3 beta driver, is that prev 2? When I say pause, it'll happen at the desktop, and interrupt the sound as well (thats the most annoying bit)

Okay, I'm not having that problem. Only in games. and I'm currently only playing that game. Youtube hd videos and any music I listen to is fine.

Yeah, as I say it's a recent issue, and I know this windows install is full of old crap from programs and services I no longer use, so it's long overdue.

I just have to throw it out there, but after installing 11.10 beta 3 (final non-WHQL approved I believe) I'm doing great, it fixed some minor niggles I had with 10.9 final (some weird scaling issues), but it still jumps power control around when I enable or disable overdrive. Oh well. I can't wait to see the performance difference though...

I just saw this thread go by on OCN about a tool a member made to enable ULPS or not... I can tie that to one of the bind keys on my keyboard (Logitech G15) which I never really use otherwise... Would that be the same thing as enabling/disabling Power Tune on the fly? I know when using AB, I need to reboot before it will reset the settings...

As far as I know ULPS and powertune are separate things. While someone can feel free to correct me, ULPS controls the clocks dropping when you have no strain on them (i.e. 2d desktop), whereas Powertune deals with throttling the clocks when you're under load to prevent "excessive" power draw.

If disabling ULPS affects powertune, this is something I didn't realize - on my system I have ULPS disabled and still run into the powertune reset issues everyone discusses.

As far as I know ULPS and powertune are separate things. While someone can feel free to correct me, ULPS controls the clocks dropping when you have no strain on them (i.e. 2d desktop), whereas Powertune deals with throttling the clocks when you're under load to prevent "excessive" power draw.

That is also how I understand them. ULPS is when the cards are idle in windows and has a few different clock modes based on the load the card has. E.G. In crossfire with eyefinity my primary gpu clocks down to 500mhz as it's lowest value, while the secondary goes down to 250mhz. In non eyefinity I'm pretty sure one goes down to 250 and the other might disable completely. Powertune is more of a TDP limiter built into the drivers that keep the card form drawing too much power when the cards are being taxed by lowering the clock speed a little. By adding +20% your telling the software use up to 20% more power than your supposed to before you throttle the gpu speed down to keep within the driver controlled threshold.

Indeed, ULPS makes the second card entirely inaccessible in windows, but also stops it from using almost any power. As soon as you apply 3D load the second card is resumed. If ULPS is enabled the fan speed of the card is not adjustable using any means, as it is controlled via the BIOS.

So as a follow up, I had some time today to play around with things. I uninstalled all my old drivers, ccc, CAP, sapphire trixxx, and MSI afterburner. Downloaded the 11.10 preview 3 drivers, CAP 3' and MSI afterburner beta 8. Installed 11.10 and cap, disabled ulps in the registry again, and then put the newest afterburner beta on. As of now, afterburner overclockability and overvolting does not reset powertune on either card in ccc. Not sure if it was fixed or if Im just lucky, but I confirmed there's no throttling. Same is true if I kill ccc completely, the powertune +20 appears to persist fine.

Good thing I've found this thread as one of my 6990 cores keeps dropping all the time and it will not raise back up. Is the MSI afterburner way with "unofficial" overclocking the way to go?

My power-tune sliders in CCC keep randomly dropping back to zero.

Good thing I've found this thread as one of my 6990 cores keeps dropping all the time and it will not raise back up. Is the MSI afterburner way with "unofficial" overclocking the way to go?

My power-tune sliders in CCC keep randomly dropping back to zero.

Seems like it Vega, I started this thread long ago and came to that conclusion, the problem for me is that when I do that I get a BSOD loop and have to go back to safe mode to disable unofficial overclocking in order to boot back in windows. It's not limited to using the 2 option either, If I use the 1 option just to enable unofficial overclocking it's the same bsod loop. Not sure if it's a registry issue, msi afterburner issue or what. I still have yet to reformat to try and solve this issue but if your system can do this without putting you in a bsod loop you should absolutely try it. Seems to have worked out great for Dr. Gumby

If I do the unofficial overclocking, does it keep all GPUs at 3D clocks? I wonder how much more power that would waste.

If I do the unofficial overclocking, does it keep all GPUs at 3D clocks? I wonder how much more power that would waste.

Yes, technically it should keep you at 3d clocks all the time. You can set a 2d profile in afterburner as your boot profile and then set a hotkey to switch back and forth, the OSD will confirm your in your correct; voltage, clocks etc...

As far as power goes, I believe that would do another 20% power usage under full load but still it should be less power usage than your quad GTX 580 build from before. Power-wise you should be fine. If it gives you stability until the drivers can be ironed out then I'd say go for it.

Back