Any way of testing a mobo without components?

wixter

Weaksauce
So it looks like my finances will be stretched a bit thin the next month or so which seems to just continually delay my Z77 system build. I've already purchased just about everything I can to get the box and components ready for the 'core stuff', I just need the mobo, cpu, ram, and whatever storage I want to throw in there.

So due to my situation I may be forced to just buy one major component at a time, and if it came down to that, I'd buy the hard disks first as I have means of testing already, but I'd probably buy the mobo next, cpu, then ram.

If I do this, is there any way of testing the mobo to verify it's not a dud since I won't have any of the critical components that go along with it? I've already got the psu, so I could probably power it up at least and get into bios...maybe, just not sure if it's going to freak out because there's no cpu there. I'd want to do this just in case it needed to be returned.

Of course the simpler solution would be to save my money until I have enough to cover everything at once and then not have to worry about this at all, but that sounds kinda boring really. :D

You could always pick up a Pentium G(insert low number here), I think the single core runs like $30 in some places online. Otherwise, why worry about it? If it fails, you either return it within the return window or RMA it if its not.

My newest MB......a Rampage IV Formula can access the BIOS without a CPU.

I think nearly all of the newer ASUS boards have this feature......just what it would tell you about the overall functionality is a good question. I mean that feature could work, but the CPU socket could be FUBAR'd.

I'd just play it safe and do it the other way around......buy a cpu-MB combo last so you can make sure your gtg.:D

I can understand being bored with waiting, I have a hard time doing it do. But if you can wait, at least you could maybe save a few bucks with a bundle deal or something.

Stick your cash under your mattress to hide it from you wife then buy your stuff all at once. By the time you're done buying everything piece by piece the stuff you bought first will be out of date.

Stick your cash under your mattress to hide it from you wife then buy your stuff all at once. By the time you're done buying everything piece by piece the stuff you bought first will be out of date.

^^ this.

Back