Any want to force quit in xp other then task manager?

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
As the topic states does anyone have a way to force quit something if task manager will not quit the program in xp pro? GTA fucks up and will stay in memory so I can't relaunch it. I want to be able to kill it from memory and task manager just sits there on the process tab and will do nothing. Any ideas?

End the task from the process tab, not the application tab. Right click the applicaiton in the app. tab and select "go to process".

sometimes that doesnt work well though, which is totally retarded. Usually I resort to taskkill or use pskill from sysinternals because they always work and they do it immediately.

I use taskkill quite often. It always seems to work immediately.

Well, the taskmgr end process, and taskkill use the same method. They call TerminateProcess() on the Process. ;)

I have also found TaskKill to work immediately when task manager seems to take its sweet time to kill a process...not always, but frequently enough for me to make a conscious note. If they use the exact same method to kill a process, why the apparent difference?

If you feel it is placebo, please say as much. Though I won't believe you, you are titled to your opinions as I am to mine ;)

Yea in this case I was trying it from the processes tab as it was not even showing up under the applications tab. I'll have to try that pskill though. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the info so far.

icemochalatte said:
Download this killer utillty. Be careful though, it will even allow you to kill system processes.

Kill.exe
Same thing as taskkill, except taskkill is already built in. No need to add extra files, when the app pretty much exists already. On top of that, I had tried kill.exe in the past, to close the webjetadmin DB files that run at boot, using a batch file, and it only occasionally worked. Taskkill worked everytime.

MEfreak said:
I have also found TaskKill to work immediately when task manager seems to take its sweet time to kill a process...not always, but frequently enough for me to make a conscious note. If they use the exact same method to kill a process, why the apparent difference?

If you feel it is placebo, please say as much. Though I won't believe you, you are titled to your opinions as I am to mine ;)
Well, if they both didn't execute the exact same lines of code, I might think that it wasn't placebo. But I just verified that myself, looking at taskmgr and taskkills source code.

Out of curiosity, what does task manager->kill process do? And is there any good reason for it not being the same TerminateProcess() call?

where is the source to taskmgr.exe?

Ranma_Sao said:
Well, if they both didn't execute the exact same lines of code, I might think that it wasn't placebo. But I just verified that myself, looking at taskmgr and taskkills source code.

Back