Any thoughts or experience with this case?

I think it would be perfect. With 3 exhausts that CPU should not get hot.

The only thing I would be concerned about is what it says in the newegg reviews. You can't get a big video card in there and you can't get more than one HD... if you can deal with that I guess you are set.

it looks mondo cool, too, so i'm gonna be using it for a few odds and ends of my mac se mod...

yeah, the little display is pretty cool.

only newegg wants $16 for shipping. NewEgg seems to be the only place that has it without a PSU for $19. Everywhere else wants $50 for it with some SilenX PSU. I already have a PSU!

by no personal experience but plenty of feedback on their site:

go newegg!!!!!! :p

The only thing I would be concerned about is what it says in the newegg reviews. You can't get a big video card in there and you can't get more than one HD... if you can deal with that I guess you are set.

I want to use it as a dedicated Halo/Quake III/BF1942 server.

Dedicated servers don't need beefy video cards. They aren't going to be running any graphics. They are servers.

if it's gonna be a server running that stuff, you want a xeon mobo... and i've only seen them come in 2 sizes. atx & x-atx.

this case looks (to me at least) just as cool and will fit a server mobo.

if you are dead set on the other one, make sure you have a kick-@$$ processor in there, else you are going to have a ssslllooowww server.

i think it looks rather cool.

and besides... you get 2 free pre-installed fan controllers. i don't have a comp with that case, so i don't know how good it is... but:

you really want like a 3.4ghz proc for this thing then... cuz you need oomph in a server handling that much data. you also need about 4 tons of ram.

I dont wanna run all three servers at the same time. It's already been running these servers out of a cardboard box, I just want to put it in a reasonable case and I really like that one for the price.

A friend of mine bought that exact case with the silenx PSU for his GF's machine. I saw it in action and it's a pretty good little case. It has a slightly annoying whine with that back 60mm, but nowhere near as bad as a full speed 60mm. Also, it isn't going to cool a mondo CPU well, but it might do okay if you bought one of those Vantec 1U server copper HSF units for that 1.6. Another one of my friends put the Vantecs in the 1U security servers he built and they are at least as cool as the stock intel ones with a little more room to breathe.

Hope that helps.... :)

EDIT: I have a name brand 1U style case with a 2.4 Ghz Celeron and 512 MB of DDR and I can host 25 player LAN parties with both BF1942 and UT2K4 running without a hiccup. So the 1.6 should be good as long as you have 512 MB of RAM or more.

miazmaticdotcom said:
yeah, the little display is pretty cool.

only newegg wants $16 for shipping. NewEgg seems to be the only place that has it without a PSU for $19. Everywhere else wants $50 for it with some SilenX PSU. I already have a PSU!
Keep in mind, you'll need a mATX PSU. A regular ATX PSU won't fit.

It looks like the HDD and FDD are mounted upside down; if that front small flap isn't used for a mem card reader slot but for a floppy disk drive. Obviously most people would mount it sideways, but look at the lettering for the CD slot. I wouldn't throw in an old HDD or FDD into that case - you'll need new peripherals otherwise it may not read correctly (due to gravity and how the old heads have worn).

i don't place much faith in those psus... i heard once of a guy who smoked 2 mobos in a row... one literally (smoke actually came out).

Sorry, I guess I missed the part about him having a mATX PSU. I've actually had pretty good luck with them. I had a Celeron 700 with a CDRW, two 7200rpm HDD's, PCI video card, and floppy.....and it all ran off of a 115W PSU. I did notice some burn marks on the interior of the case when I took it apart though, heh.

Gouda said:
Dedicated servers don't need beefy video cards. They aren't going to be running any graphics. They are servers.

That was more directed at the size of the PCB, not the power of the card. I have seen some low end cards that are bigger than the latest and greatest.

I have a rage128 Pro in my HTPC dealy and the thing is huge because it has built-in cable out... which I have hooked up to a TV in card on my main PC (because I'm a geek and I can.) it BARELY fits in my microATX case, the PCB is millimeters from the DVD Rom drive, and it's a pretty weak card as far as performance goes (in comparison to more recent cards.)

In any case, it's better to make sure he notices that before he hits a problem. :)

wallijonn said:
It looks like the HDD and FDD are mounted upside down; if that front small flap isn't used for a mem card reader slot but for a floppy disk drive. Obviously most people would mount it sideways, but look at the lettering for the CD slot. I wouldn't throw in an old HDD or FDD into that case - you'll need new peripherals otherwise it may not read correctly (due to gravity and how the old heads have worn).

:confused:

Looks fine to me...

I don't see how you'd think it's upside down...

Yeah, I was kind of worried about mounting the HD sideways. For now its running an 8gb that I pulled from an Xbox (upgraded the 'box to 120gig), which was built in 2001. Do you think it will be too worn to run the drive up on its side?

Gouda said:

Done.........

Get it and set it up. Everything sounds great.

Back