Any thoughts on the Thinkpad X380?

atarione

2[H]4U
So I am cheap and need a "decent" laptop but not a "gaming" laptop... I have found over the years that the bigger the laptop the less likely I am to want to take it with me, somewhat defeating the purpose. What I want is something I can use traveling to do general computing work stuff... zoom /office / excel /remotely accessing various other systems ..blah blah nothing super intense.

I was looking and found a Thinkpad X380 with a 8th gen i5 (4 core 8thread) 16GB w/ SSD laptop with warranty for under $200 and a licensed copy of window 11 and charger .. from a seller with 99.8% positive ratings.. (off lease or whatever used unit).

This I think is pretty good for what I need, and pretty cheap the display is the more decent FHD 1080 IPS display..

I am very close to pulling the trigger on this... I am well aware that this isn't going to be the very bleeding edge, but it sounds reasonable for my requirments and better than most new sub $400ish laptops I have seen.

I am very fond of thinkpads in general and while I wish that it was more upgradeable (16GB ram is the max for this model and it is soldered to mb) and the keyboard was more like the older thinkpads still the keypads on these thinkpads are much better then what i have seen on most newer laptops?

Anyone have any experience / thoughts with/about this model? reviews I have seen are reasonably good/.

1670811034889.png

Apparently nobody had any thoughts... Well the price was right @$189 so I went for it and it arrived today... I am very impressed so far and the unit I recieved seems to be in good nick, looked pretty close to new actually .. came with fresh windows 11 install and powersupply. I like the size it is very portable and for what I wanted it for it seems very capable.. much better keyboard than any new laptop I saw for anything near the price.. The fingerprint scanner is handy and the trackpoint is my favorite thing on a laptop ever.. Seems so far to be quite a good value indeed...

1671156713559.png

So I have been using this laptop for a few days now... I love it.. there is on small downside and that is I discovered the screen has one small bright spot (only shows on certain background colors.. and the dudes at r/ say that is just what happens with these with use.. at some point I might replace the screen but I hasnt bothered me that much so far. And for under $200 this is miles ahead (imho) of what you might buy new at bestbuy or whatever.. I really like the keyboard not as much as the older thinkpads but this is pretty good still. Keyboard is backlit as well which is pretty nice and helpful in lower light.

jo03le34gq6a1.png

Back