Any suggestions for pure skill games?

Moogles

Weaksauce
Looking for games that are purely based on skill. Twitch shooters, RTS games, racing games and platformers with a high degree of difficulty. Think Trackmania, StarCraft, Super Meat Boy, Quake, etc. Preferably available on Steam. Any suggestions?

Quake Live/3, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft 2, Street Fighter 3 (console).... drawing blanks...

Pure skill games where the best win and the worst lose are rare these days, especially in the FPS genre were games like COD and Battlefield dominate... unfortunately :(

Quakeworld and Quake 3 for FPS...

Unfortunately in a lot of racing games, you will be beaten on technicality a lot unless you are exceptionally good at refining setups (and throwing reality out the window, usually).

Looking for games that are purely based on skill. Twitch shooters, RTS games, racing games and platformers with a high degree of difficulty. Think Trackmania, StarCraft, Super Meat Boy, Quake, etc. Preferably available on Steam. Any suggestions?

Play "i wanna be the guy"
Download it here: http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/downloads.php

Report back when you finish the game.

Super Meat Boy is nothing compared to this game.

quakelive for fps
richard burns rally for sheer excitement
iracing for circuit racing

Try some fighting games, too. In particular the 2D versions are very skill based, while the 3D ones tend to focus a bit more on memorization.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of the 2D fighters. I've also found Nexuiz on steam. Anyone know if it's worth it? It's 10 bucks so I can't really go wrong, but still. ;)

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 are pretty challenging just on normal.

What makes something a "pure" skill game? By nature every game requires skill, and a person's skill level determines how good they are at the game. Calling anything "pure" here is entirely subjective.

Some games are more difficult than others, and some take longer to learn/master, is this what you want?

What makes something a "pure" skill game? By nature every game requires skill, and a person's skill level determines how good they are at the game. Calling anything "pure" here is entirely subjective.

Some games are more difficult than others, and some take longer to learn/master, is this what you want?

I think my definition, description, and list of examples I gave was sufficiently clear. The current crop of games is unengaging and boring. I don't want to sit back and wait for the game to play itself. I want to be challenged all the way through, preferably against other people with the same mindset. I should point out that I've played Brood War at the progamer level (a long time ago, but I've won a medal at the WCG) and StarCraft II briefly as well. It's the same kind of challenge that I look for in other games.

I think my definition, description, and list of examples I gave was sufficiently clear. The current crop of games is unengaging and boring. I don't want to sit back and wait for the game to play itself. I want to be challenged all the way through, preferably against other people with the same mindset. I should point out that I've played Brood War at the progamer level (a long time ago, but I've won a medal at the WCG) and StarCraft II briefly as well. It's the same kind of challenge that I look for in other games.

like i said, try i wanna be the guy.

that is prob the game you are looking for. unique and extremely hard.

While everything takes some amount of skill, there are differences in how much games hinge on that amount. If you throw someone into a 1v1 match of Quake 3 against a seasoned pro, they are going to lose 0 and 30 (for example) every match due to the nature of the game. Change the game to COD, though, and it doesn't matter how good the pro is, he is going to die from something cheap at some point, despite winning most or all of his games.

Games these days tend to have more of these luck or technical elements thrown in to be more inviting to casual gamers—give them a chance, be it luck, equipment, higher level, etc. to overcome the unrelenting skill of some opponents to relieve the frustration.

Quake Live/3, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft 2, Street Fighter 3 (console).... drawing blanks...

Pure skill games where the best win and the worst lose are rare these days, especially in the FPS genre were games like COD and Battlefield dominate... unfortunately :(

a good player can dominate in any game. I still play alot of BC2 and I have a friend in my clan who can sit on that little island in Isla map and pin the entire other team in thier spawn while sniping the heli pilots instantly, put him on a heli gun and the other team wont have a chance, he's banned from alot of servers because they think he's a hacker. his recon k/d is 7 with 1.7k playing hours.

I don't play COD but from what I've seen a good player can shine in it, but I agree that BF3 is the worst case here and thats why youtube is now full of videos about players trolling camping snipers or doing jet stunts that is more about luck than skill. (but I have to say... this is epic)

Tribes: Ascend
MvC 2
Street Fighter 3
Street Fighter 4 (and AE)
SC II
HoN
Dota 2
At the higher levels LoL
Quakelive

That list should give you plenty of Rage... or at least it does me... I am uber competitive but to make it worse I generally suck but for some sick reason I take the punishment on these games. PvE is dull and pointless in my mind.

MOBA:

HoN if you like steep learning curves,
Dota2 if you don't.

RTS:
Starcraft2

Fighter:
Streetfighter x tekken

FPS:
Battlefield 3 Helicopters.

MMO:
GW2 GUILD PVP!

I'll look into LARP. :p

I'll check out some of your suggestions. Is DOTA2 available yet? I filled out some survey on Steam which put me in a pool of players they'll be selecting invites from.

Well imo I think you've already nailed it. Can't get any better than SC2 in that dept. Hopefully HOTS won't be to long.

Back