Any still running an overclocked i7 5820k? (haswell-E)

A little late to the party but thought id add my setup. Built my PC in 2015 with the i7 5820k ..... using it OC now at 4.4 Ghz with 1.275 V with no problems so far. =)

5820k was always the garbage clocker of the family. I had one for awhile with a massively overkill custom loop and could never get more than 4.4GHz out of it, no matter the voltage. Eventually put that board and chip in a friend's rig and he's been running at 4.25GHz for the past couple years pretty happily.

From all the OC results I've seen with this chip, it seems like you either get a horrible chip or you get the 1 out of 1000 that will do > 4.5GHz.

Reactions: tno
like this
Still rocking the 5820k. It can do 4.2 GHz @ 1.1v, 4.4 GHz @ 1.2v, 4.5 GHz @ 1.25v. It beats or matches Ryzen 2000 series in games.

Still rocking the 5820k. It can do 4.2 GHz @ 1.1v, 4.4 GHz @ 1.2v, 4.5 GHz @ 1.25v. It beats or matches Ryzen 2000 series in games.
Hell, with 1.25V at 4.5Ghz, if your on an AIO or custom water loop, I'd throw 1.3V ~1.35V on that baby and go for 4.6Ghz or more. My 5930K requires 1.338V to remain stable at 4.5V and 1.375V to run game stable (but not prime) at 4.625Ghz (125Mhz Strap). I have been running between those clocks (depending on use case) for years now with no issues. I have half though about picking up a J Batch 5960X on ebay or something as they come about for under $250 just to get some extra life out of X99 if I can maintain 4.5Ghz or more with the chips. Have not decided if it is really worth it though as all I mainly use the PC for is 4K gaming. I'd probably get more out of a new platform all together at this point... although x99 has by far been very good to me over the years! :)

Last edited:
Hell, with 1.25V at 4.5Ghz, if your on an AIO or custom water loop, I'd throw 1.3V ~1.35V on that baby and go for 4.6Ghz or more. My 5930K requires 1.338V to remain stable at 4.5V and 1.375V to run game stable (but not prime) at 4.625Ghz (125Mhz Strap). I have been running between those clocks (depending on use case) for years now with no issues. I have half though about picking up a J Batch 5960X on ebay or something as they come about for under $250 just to get some extra life out of X99 if I can maintain 4.5Ghz or more with the chips. Have not decided if it is really worth it though as all I mainly use the PC for is 4K gaming. I'd probably get more out of a new platform all together at this point... although x99 has by far been very good to me over the years! :)
You might get a kick out of this - I'm using my ancient TRUE 120 (Opteron 170 days) and it keeps it under well under 60C in games and ~70-75C in RealBench. Gotta love soldered 22nm. Thermalright sent me a 2011 bracket for free. I could probably get away with 4.6 on air without running torture tests but there are so many claims of degradation and I really don't want to upgrade right now. Holding out for desktop Tiger Lake or the AMD equivalent (used 5960X is tempting though).

Maybe I'll try 4.6 @ 1.3v and see what happens. My other settings on the Asus x99 Strix are 100 strap, 2666 DDR4, 1.1v SA, 1.9 VCCIN, 3/10 LLC, 38x ring @ 1.1v.

Last edited:
You might get a kick out of this - I'm using my ancient TRUE 120 (Opteron 170 days) and it keeps it under well under 60C in games and ~70-75C in RealBench. Gotta love soldered 22nm. Thermalright sent me a 2011 bracket for free. I could probably get away with 4.6 on air without running torture tests but there are so many claims of degradation and I really don't want to upgrade right now. Holding out for desktop Tiger Lake or the AMD equivalent (used 5960X is tempting though).

Maybe I'll try 4.6 @ 1.3v and see what happens. My other settings on the Asus x99 Strix are 100 strap, 2666 DDR4, 1.1v SA, 1.9 VCCIN, 3/10 LLC, 38x ring @ 1.1v.
Damn, that's nuts! But I suppose at 1.25V, you are still safe on air. I bet pushing past 1.3V would yield different results for temperatures. It seems like you have a damn good chip though; the IMC on my 5930K freaking blows; I can only run up to 2400Mhz on the DDR4 using the 100Mhz strap. System will not even post if I try 2667Mhz on the 100Mhz strap (no matter what I do). So, since I had to make the jump to the 125Mhz strap, I learned to embrace it and pushed my ram to it's rated speed awhile back. Occasionally I am still fighting a random issue of a complete screen freeze in a game or folding at home (when performing a GPU WU) that never happens if I run at the 100mhz strap and 2400Mhz ram speeds. Not sure if its memory timing related, my cache speed can't handle it (its still at default 3500Mhz as I stupidly don't have an OC socket with this board), or if the IMC is garbage even at the 125Mhz strap. Quite frankly, I have no clue and have been just trying a setting here or there over time to find the source of the problem. The way it simply hard freezes and does not reboot or BSOD has me thinking cache or IMC instead of CPU Core or Input voltages. Still trying to see what is up... I have my SA offset at +.102, I tried raising this with no success and 0.102 is what I use at 2400Mhz and it works perfectly. I have heard that's a voltage which has a sweet spot and nothing more to be gained with extra juice!

Those 5960X's have been very much tempting me though just for fun, but it's also hard to justify the cost considering it would be better spent toward a new platform at this point. Now; if the Broadwell-e 6590x (or whatever the 10c/20t one is called) was $250 or lower, I'd highly consider it. However; I heard broadwell-e's overclocked like garbage.

Haha, all this time and it turns out my CPU IO Voltage needed a boost from 1.05V to 1.12V. Ran 12 hours of CPU / GPU testing with no issues at the higher RAM speed. Haha. Knew it was something stupid I was overlooking... :p

I upgraded to a Xeon 1660v3 (bought for $160), overclocking to 4.2ghz @ 1.25v

Only negative is the ram won't run above 2400, but I am totally fine with that. No increase in game performance that I noticed, more so, my final upgrade to this pc before I upgrade the whole platform.

I upgraded to a Xeon 1660v3 (bought for $160), overclocking to 4.2ghz @ 1.25v

Only negative is the ram won't run above 2400, but I am totally fine with that. No increase in game performance that I noticed, more so, my final upgrade to this pc before I upgrade the whole platform.

Depends on the resolution you game at from my findings (and various articles out there). At 4K, barely noticeable in benchmarks more less any games (less than 1% in my testing between 2400Mhz and 2800Mhz). At 1440P, I was getting maybe 2~3% by going from 2400Mhz to 2800Mhz on the memory. Not a lot, but if you can run it, why not right to ensure no bottleneck? Can't say I've ever tested 1080P, but from what I have seen out there, maybe an 8% increase at higher RAM speeds (3200Mhz+)? Generally the GPU is the bottleneck anyway on high resolutions and if the CPU become the bottleneck, likely, RAM is not going to help you much, maybe just with some higher minimums from time to time. I believe RAM means much more for those doing more than gaming; for example video encoding, 7zip, etc. I will say, it seems "smoother" at 2800Mhz, but honestly, the data shows it may just be a placebo effect. Hard to argue hard data!

From my understanding; AMD Ryzen see rather large gains though; where as Intel does not.

Curious though; why did you go Xeon? What did u have previously?

Wait, 1600s have unlocked multiplier? That could be an easy cheap upgrade to 8 cores.

Last edited:
Depends on the resolution you game at from my findings (and various articles out there). At 4K, barely noticeable in benchmarks more less any games (less than 1% in my testing between 2400Mhz and 2800Mhz). At 1440P, I was getting maybe 2~3% by going from 2400Mhz to 2800Mhz on the memory. Not a lot, but if you can run it, why not right to ensure no bottleneck? Can't say I've ever tested 1080P, but from what I have seen out there, maybe an 8% increase at higher RAM speeds (3200Mhz+)? Generally the GPU is the bottleneck anyway on high resolutions and if the CPU become the bottleneck, likely, RAM is not going to help you much, maybe just with some higher minimums from time to time. I believe RAM means much more for those doing more than gaming; for example video encoding, 7zip, etc. I will say, it seems "smoother" at 2800Mhz, but honestly, the data shows it may just be a placebo effect. Hard to argue hard data!

From my understanding; AMD Ryzen see rather large gains though; where as Intel does not.

Curious though; why did you go Xeon? What did u have previously?
I had a 5820k, its earlier in the thread. I ran it mostly stock for its life, then the last couple of months ran at 4.2ghz

Also running 3440x1440

I didn't run extensive testing, comparing numbers but just from playing games, not large benefit that I noticed.

Worth a read IMO, it compares different ram speeds on the x99 5820k platform: https://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr4-memory-2133-vs-26663200mhz-8gb-vs-16gb?page=1

I had a 5820k, its earlier in the thread. I ran it mostly stock for its life, then the last couple of months ran at 4.2ghz

Also running 3440x1440

I didn't run extensive testing, comparing numbers but just from playing games, not large benefit that I noticed.

Worth a read IMO, it compares different ram speeds on the x99 5820k platform: https://techbuyersguru.com/gaming-ddr4-memory-2133-vs-26663200mhz-8gb-vs-16gb?page=1
Yeah, I could see it not mattering as much going from 6-core to 8-core for games if the IPC is essentially the same and the clock speed remains the same. I'm sure you might notice a difference in other tasks though (encoding, etc.).

I did read that memory article awhile back and it makes sense as x99 had ridiculous amount of memory bandwidth to begin with being quad channel. What really matters and where performance can be gained is if you can increase the memory speed while decreasing the latency. I found while I could run 2400Mhz at 13-13-13-26 @1T, I could not get a CL of 12 perfectly stable for some reason. At 2667Mhz, I could run 14-14-14-28 @ 1T but never got a CL of 13 stable. However; at 2800Mhz, I am able to run at 14-14-14-28 @1T and this provides not only more bandwidth (while trivial), it provides me with the lowest possible true latency of all 3 speeds based on my CAS value (and of course other parameters like tRFC). I documented this using AIDA64 Extreme and would run Superposition benchmarks 3 times after each change and average the scores out.

Just upgraded my 5820k to e5 1660 v3, both running at 4 Ghz. Only need to add a NVMe drive , have 8x sata ssd lol.

I couldn't get a stable clock much above stock on my i7 (operator error I'm sure), so I switched it out for an E5-2667v3 that came out of a decommissioned server and have been happy ever since.

I had my 5820 from November 2014, had it running around 4.4 to 4.6 the bulk of its time. 4.6 was not super stable but I did not really dial it in. Issue is the motherboard has a power problem and the main PCIE port died. Ever since the system has not liked running a lot of power through it but crashes used to be rare. Been getting bad at higher clocks the last 4 months so I've dialed back to 3.8 now.

Holding out for the next Ryzen cycle as the only thing to tickle my fancy. If the motherboard was still good I would likely not be considering any upgrade.

Loved my 5820K. Ran it at 4.5GHz for years. Just moved to a 9900KS last November and it "feels" better at 3440x1440 120hz. I say "feels" because I have not done much benchmarking or game to game comparisons, but I have had fewer small stutters and believe it was worth it. I still have the 5820k system, just need to put the PS I have for it in, reconnect the TitanXP to the EK Predator I have in it and I will probably try roomscale VR with it. Glad I did it, but it was more upgrade itch than my thinking it was going to be a game changer.

A bit late to the party, but I was just wondering exactly the same thing and my Internet search brought me here.

I have been building and modifying PCs since the 90s. In 2014 one of my friends asked me to build him a gaming computer with a budget of £2000 (approx. $3K then). It was quite difficult at the time to choose between the i7-4790K and the i7-5820K. I built systems with both and I just felt that the i7-5820K somehow seem more responsive, so against the popular vote I decided to go X99 instead of Z97. This PC is still going strong after a couple of graphics card upgrades.

The problem was that I didn’t have this sort of money available, but I really had to get an X99 system too, so I put the pieces together buying s/h from ebay or open box. This has been my main system for the past nearly 6 years. I don’t really do anything that demanding, its just like have a car with a big V8 its nice to know the power is there if you need it. It is nice and quiet on air cooling and overclocked to 4.2/4.3GHz with auto voltage.

There have been a few little upgrades over time where I have fitted a larger M.2 SSD and added an extra 4 x 4GB ram ($50 s/h and exactly matched the other 16GB).😁

Along the way I have built quite a lot of PCs for other people and have built a couple of systems to compare with mine as possible upgrades. First a Ryzen 5 1600X system and later a Ryzen 5 3600 system. Neither felt a worthwhile upgrade and got sold/passed on.

I had a big birthday during the first lockdown and had to cancel plans for a celebration trip, so I thought what the heck I should build myself a birthday/lockdown PC. So I put together a system with an i7-9700K/GTX 1660 Super (not really a gamer), top rated 1TB M.2 SSD, 16GB of 3200 memory and a decent Z390 motherboard. 6 months on this system has been gathering dust and I am still using the X99 system. The new system runs cool with all cores at 5GHz, but again it really doesn’t make me wasn’t to use it.

So in October I thought it was worthwhile spending some time/money on my old faithful X99 system. The M 2 SSD speeds always seemed a bit disappointing so I bought a $15 PCIE NVME M.2 adapter from Amazon. This has speeded the HD benchmarks up considerably. I then went a bit mad and bought a $300 i7-6950X from an ebay seller in HK. This arrived via FedEx in 5 days without any issues (a relief). Currently this is at 4.3GHz all cores at 1.32V. Honestly I can't say it feels a whole lot faster, but it makes me smile owning a $1700 cpu and benchmarks pretty well. Not sure whether to keep it or try to push my i7-5820K a bit harder. May also try a fresh install as the current one is five years old with 5 years of useful stuff (crap).

Maybe I shoud have waited for a 10 series i7 with hyperthreading added back in. Currently looking at Zen 3 with interest.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Last edited:
FWIW, I ended up snagging a J-Batch 5960x on ebay 6 months or so ago and I run that thing per my signature below now (posted this in another thread). X99 was WAY ahead of its time and still hold up for 1440p and 4K gaming even today with ease!

I have thought about getting a 6950x too for fun just to see if I could luck out and get a 4.4Ghz or better one (only way it would make sense over my current 5960X OC even with IPC gains); but those are still damn pricey considering the age. But 10C/20T on X99 is an awesome setup even by todays standards. Hell, I'm still loving my 8C/16T setup on it with no real plans to upgrade for now. I may see what 2021 holds for us though.

A bit late to the party, but I was just wondering exactly the same thing and my Internet search brought me here.

I have been building and modifying PCs since the 90s. In 2014 one of my friends asked me to build him a gaming computer with a budget of £2000 (approx. $3K then). It was quite difficult at the time to choose between the i7-4790K and the i7-5820K. I built systems with both and I just felt that the i7-5820K somehow seem more responsive, so against the popular vote I decided to go X99 instead of Z97. This PC is still going strong after a couple of graphics card upgrades.

The problem was that I didn’t have this sort of money available, but I really had to get an X99 system too, so I put the pieces together buying s/h from ebay or open box. This has been my main system for the past nearly 6 years. I don’t really do anything that demanding, its just like have a car with a big V8 its nice to know the power is there if you need it. It is nice and quiet on air cooling and overclocked to 4.2/4.3GHz with auto voltage.

There have been a few little upgrades over time where I have fitted a larger M.2 SSD and added an extra 4 x 4GB ram ($50 s/h and exactly matched the other 16GB).

Along the way I have built quite a lot of PCs for other people and have built a couple of systems to compare with mine as possible upgrades. First a Ryzen 5 1600X system and later a Ryzen 5 3600 system. Neither felt a worthwhile upgrade and got sold/passed on.

I had a big birthday during the first lockdown and had to cancel plans for a celebration trip, so I thought what the heck I should build myself a birthday/lockdown PC. So I put together a system with an i7-9700K/GTX 1660 Super (not really a gamer), top rated 1TB M.2 SSD, 16GB of 3200 memory and a decent zmZ390 motherboard. 6 months on this system has been gathering dust and I am still using the X99 system. The new system runs cool with all cores at 5GHz, but again it really doesn’t make me wasn’t to use it.

So in October I thought it was worthwhile spending some time/money on my old faithful X99 system. The M 2 SSD speeds always seemed a bit disappointing so I bought a $15 PCIE NVME M.2 adapter from Amazon. This has speeded the HD benchmarks up considerably. I then went a bit mad and bought a $300 i7-6950X from an ebay seller in HK. This arrived via FedEx in 5 days without any issues (a relief). Currently this is at 4.3GHz all cores at 1.32V. Honestly I can't say it feels a whole lot faster, but it makes me smile and benchmarks pretty well. Not sure whether to keep it or try to push my i7-5820K a bit harder.

Maybe I shoud have waited for a 10 series i7 with hyperthreading added back in. Currently looking at Zen 3 with interest.

Thanks for reading if you got this far!

I finally bit the bullet and bought a 5900x for my upgrade, I'm curious what, if any gaming differences will be. That said, this is comparing my 1660v3 vs a ryzen 3600 (obviously different video cards as well)

There is zero reason to upgrade, if I was more patient, this build could last me another 2 years easily.

x99 is one of my favorite platforms, easily overclockable, low temps, high memory bandwidth. Fantastic, just have to deal with higher power consumption.

Also disable spectre/meltdown for added performance

what voltage are you running the cpu at?

I'm planning to switch to a 5900x when available.

I love my 5820 but my motherboard has a power issue so I had to dial down from 4.6 to 3.8 for stability. Could spend 300 on a replacement board of the same type but with its age and how much I use it for things I think its time to upgrade. Though it's looking to be a pricey one so we'll see.

Also disable spectre/meltdown for added performance

what voltage are you running the cpu at?
Yes I noticed the overclock on my i7-6950X disappeared when Windows updated to 2004. Assume it is still broken on 2009 (20H2). For now I rolled back to 1909. This is only for Broadwell/-E isn't it? Anyway will do an 20H2 install on a spare SSD and check out renaming the mcupdate file

i7-5820K at 4.3 set itself to 1.251V
i7-6950X at 4.3 needed 1.32V
4.4 was unstable at 1.35V and I didn't want to go any higher.

On air the 6950X sits at around 23°C on idle all cores at 4.3

These settings aren't Prime95 Small/er FFT stable (instantly hits the 90s), but has been 100% reliable in normal use since 2014.

I'm planning to switch to a 5900x when available.

Could spend 300 on a replacement board of the same type but with its age and how much I use it for things I think its time to upgrade.
X99 board prices are crazy. Not sure about the Chinese X99 boards. If they were more sensible I would put my 5820K into a system for my daughter.

In the UK you can pick up a 5820K for
£50/$67 with a one year warranty or an 5960X for £135/$178 with a 2 year warranty. Both these prices seem very good to me.

6950X is still expensive here, £370 from the same retailer if they have stock. By taking the risk of buying from China for £199/$260 I could probably sell mine for a small profit if I decided to sell it now.

10 cores/20 threads was just too tempting 😁

I had one of those Chinese mobos, it worked pretty well honestly. Don't expect to overclock but they do run fine, and have nvme slots which is nice. Just make sure you get one with decent vram cooling and 4 channel ddr4. Some of them have a ddr4 and ddr3 for compatibility, while cool, it kills of the huge memory advantage of x99.

Another cheap option is to find a z440 board, you can even get a matching psu pretty cheap if you dont want to make cables for it (or buy them, usually $20-40). I have one in the closet, but never set it up.

Still running mine today no reason to upgrade yet.
Still feels quicker than my sons 8700K rig, X99 versus 1151 platform I guess.

X99 board prices are crazy. Not sure about the Chinese X99 boards. If they were more sensible I would put my 5820K into a system for my daughter.

£50/$67 with a one year warranty or an 5960X for £135/$178 with a 2 year warranty. Both these prices seem very good to me.

6950X is still expensive here, £370 from the same retailer if they have stock. By taking the risk of buying from China for £199/$260 I could probably sell mine for a small profit if I decided to sell it now.

Yeah, I found the very board I have in there now for about 300 but is used. I paid about 300 when I bought it in 2014 (thank you good sales) but I'm struggling on taking the 300 dollar chance that it wont work out vs just investing in a new build that will last longer. My primary PCI slot went toast and then year by year my heavy OC became less stable and I kept having to dial it back. Now I am mostly at 3.6 which is not bad but coming back from 4.6 (was working on 4.8) it is noticeable in some activities lol. The chip is solid, the board is holding me back.

Good chips and it is crazy to see the demand for them still but that is also a good thing I suppose. That temptation is why I want to move to the 5900x lol. Moving from my 1090T to the 5820 was a huge leap and doubling up again should drop those render times further and make everything else feel snappier. Just expensive when I was hoping to get a few more years out of this one.

I sold my 5820K last month on Ebay for £65! Bought a 5960X for £185 so not a bad switcheroo. Got that running at 4.4GHz nice and smooth. Swapped the 16GB DDR4 3000 for 32GB of DDR4 3200. Want to slip in a new 6XXX AMD card to replace my RX480 beofre Xmas hopefully. Will keep me going another couple of years at least.

Still feels quicker than my sons 8700K rig, X99 versus 1151 platform I guess.
Well i built a 9700K system as a replacement and even after clocking it to 5.0 it has been sitting around unused as it didn't feel any faster.

One of the best thing about X99 was that it has performed great with the 5820K, but now has a decent upgrade path within Haswell-E, Broadwell-E or Xeon. For not too much money.

There's not really anywhere to go from a 9700K and it appears the 9900K isn't a whole lot faster and may well cook your VRM is you haven't bought a high end board.

Last edited:
5930k @ 4.4. people way overestimate the need for a CPU @ 4k resolution. Might get in on a PCIE5/DDR5 zen4, but I haven't run into ANYTHING I felt limited by.

5820K for life, bro! It is my son's PC, now. Rocking 4.4 GHz / 1.3v. I love the X99 platform. I was so sad to see how the X299 platform turned out...ended up going consumer with Z390 late last year.

My 5960X could not clock as high as my 5820K which was interesting. My 5960X box is now an ESXi machine.

EDIT: corrected some nostalgic details and added more context. :)

Last edited:
5820K for life, bro! It is my son's PC, now. Rocking 4.4 GHz / 1.9v. I love the X99 platform. I was so sad to see how the X299 platform turned out...ended up going consumer with Z390 late last year.

My 5960X could not clock as high as my 5820K which was interesting. My 5960X box is now an ESXi machine.

EDIT: corrected some nostalgic details and added more context. :)
1.9V? No way dude, that CPU would blow out of the socket... lol. I'd believe it for the input voltage though... :) Hell, I run my 5960x at 1.3Vcore to run 4.625Ghz. I can push 4.8Ghz with 1.4Vcore, but that gets very hot...

1.9V? No way dude, that CPU would blow out of the socket... lol. I'd believe it for the input voltage though... :) Hell, I run my 5960x at 1.3Vcore to run 4.625Ghz. I can push 4.8Ghz with 1.4Vcore, but that gets very hot...

Haha my bad man - it is input voltage. I haven't been in my ASRock Xtreme4's BIOS in FOREVER. Thanks to this thread I'm tweaking my OC a bit to accomodate XMP on my RAM at 2800MHz (not shabby for 32GB!).

Looking good after 1 hour each of Intel XTU CPU and mem stress testing:

x99.PNG

Last edited:
Haha my bad man - it is input voltage. I haven't been in my ASRock Xtreme4's BIOS in FOREVER. Thanks to this thread I'm tweaking my OC a bit to accomodate XMP on my RAM at 2800MHz (not shabby for 32GB!).

Looking good after 1 hour each of Intel XTU CPU and mem stress testing:

View attachment 300205

X99 is still such a powerhouse for gaming at 1440P or 4K. I have little need or desire to move up from my platform right now and i have a feeling if I ever get my hands on an RTX 3090 (or rumored 3080Ti), I'll still hardly be CPU limited.

X99 is also fun as hell to tweak if your into that kind of thing. I spent maybe an hour getting 3000Mhz Quad Channel 32GB RAM working, but spent another WEEK tweaking ALL levels of timings to get some low latency and higher bandwidth.

When I was looking at benchmarks of 2080Ti's and 30xx series GPU's being ran on Intel 10 series CPU's, I compared at 2K and 4K on my system and I was still dead on with the 2080Ti scores. So this platform probably has a year or so left, which is freaking amazing.

I don't doubt it! I am going to do some benches versus my z390 box here soon.

Honestly, I moved up from a 5930k to future proof a bit more and lucked out in the Silicon department, both with OC and IMC.

If you check ebay every so often, you can find an amazing J-Batch 5960x for sub $200. Which is a nice upgrade with 8C/16T in mind if you want to gain some extra life out of the rig.

5820k is still doing great with a fairly standard 4.2ghz overclock. It's the wife computer now, and works just great for playing games at 1440 resolution.

Honestly, I moved up from a 5930k to future proof a bit more and lucked out in the Silicon department, both with OC and IMC.

If you check ebay every so often, you can find an amazing J-Batch 5960x for sub $200. Which is a nice upgrade with 8C/16T in mind if you want to gain some extra life out of the rig.
I just got a J batch one for 130 bucks but I haven't tested it out yet.

FWIW:

10,012 - 5820K @ 4.54GHz (1.30v); 32GB DDR4 @ 2800MHz; stock 2080 FE
13,628 - 9900KS @ 5GHz (stock); 64GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz; stock 2080 Ti FE (outgoing GPU - replaced by 3090 FE)
18,084 - 9900KS @ 5GHz (stock); 64GB DDR @ 3200MHz; stock 3090 FE

84.5% higher CPU score...9900KS versus 5820K.

FWIW:

10,012 - 5820K @ 4.54GHz (1.30v); 32GB DDR4 @ 2800MHz; stock 2080 FE
13,628 - 9900KS @ 5GHz (stock); 64GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz; stock 2080 Ti FE (outgoing GPU - replaced by 3090 FE)
18,084 - 9900KS @ 5GHz (stock); 64GB DDR @ 3200MHz; stock 3090 FE

84.5% higher CPU score...9900KS versus 5820K.

As a retired professional scientist I love measubators who collect data, if I drop a hign end videocard in these systems this prob. gives me a 10FPS +/- diff in frame rates?

Back