Any Speculation on New Windows Phones? (Shipping with windows phone 8.1)

JPF_

Limp Gawd
Don;t want a Lumia 630

However, I do want a phone shipping with WIndows Phone 8.1, with latest gen hardware.
I still have not upgraded my HTC Radar (Shipped with Windows 7.5, but upgraded it to 7.8).

I feel I want to stick with Windows Phone at this time.

Anyone have any leads on a 931? 935 or something of that nature?

thanks!

A new HTC One (M8) with Windows Phone will come to Verizon if not others soon.

The big rumor at the moment is the HTC One (M8) for Windows (that's the tentative name for it). Pretty much what it says on the tin; you'd get all the hardware tricks, just with Microsoft's OS on top. Not that it's a bad thing, especially if you've been yearning for a Windows Phone with a metal body.

After that, there's the Microsoft/Nokia McLaren. Whether or not that happens isn't certain, though. There's talk that it might have been cancelled, but it's hard to know for sure. Odds are that Microsoft will have *some* high-end Lumia due later this year... but if it's not McLaren, I'm not sure what. Spruced up Lumia 930 (say, with a Snapdragon 801 or 805), maybe? I'd take that.

The rumor mill coming from my sources in Microsoft says one of the reasons Microsoft is pushing for universal apps is the possibility of an Intel WP. Please let it happen... Probably not happening soon, but one can dream, right?

Arg! I hope my phone lasts for the next few months.

I'd rather have the Nokia McLaren due to Nokia native apps, but man the quality of the HTC.....

Man, decisions, decisions....

HTC is holding an event on August 19th, and apparently it's inviting Microsoft-focused news sites (and generalist sites, of course) rather than their Android counterparts. In other words, we're probably going to see that One for Windows (and hopefully one or two cheaper devices) in a few weeks.

They kind of just refreshed their entire line up, except the phablet refresh. (speaking of Nokia)

Apart from the HTC speculation, maybe Samsung will get back into it.

They kind of just refreshed their entire line up, except the phablet refresh. (speaking of Nokia)

Apart from the HTC speculation, maybe Samsung will get back into it.

It has to some degree; don't forget the ATIV SE (which is basically the Snapdragon 800-based Galaxy S4 with Windows Phone on it). But yes, manufacturers need to do a little more than pay lip service to Windows Phone, if just for the sake of independence -- you don't want to shackle yourself to one company's product, because you're going to get screwed over in time. Just ask Samsung how its relationship with Google has been going over the past year!

It has to some degree; don't forget the ATIV SE (which is basically the Snapdragon 800-based Galaxy S4 with Windows Phone on it). But yes, manufacturers need to do a little more than pay lip service to Windows Phone, if just for the sake of independence -- you don't want to shackle yourself to one company's product, because you're going to get screwed over in time. Just ask Samsung how its relationship with Google has been going over the past year!

Hehe true true.

Received an OTA update to 8.1 for my Lumia 1520 last week. It's quite nice!

Just in case there was any doubt that One for Windows is happening, Verizon actually posted an image despite the launch being over a couple of weeks away. It really is an OS switch and little else. Which isn't a bad thing as such, since the One is such a nice device.

specific carrier?

For Verizon getting a nokia ICON would still be a good purchase, even if it's isn't super shiny and new.

I do think there is a 935 coming for T-Mobile, and AT&T will also get a variant and will still have the 1520. Also, although it's an old phone now the 1020 just went non exclusive and you can finally buy an unlocked one right from Microsoft to use on T-Mobile. It is a fantastic phone and should also have the 8.1 update very soon.

The HTC one will probably be a decent phone, although I'm not so sure how well the camera is in it. If camera is lower priority then it should be a great phone. If camera is priority then the ICON/1520/1020 are very good contenders.

specific carrier?

For Verizon getting a nokia ICON would still be a good purchase, even if it's isn't super shiny and new.

I do think there is a 935 coming for T-Mobile, and AT&T will also get a variant and will still have the 1520. Also, although it's an old phone now the 1020 just went non exclusive and you can finally buy an unlocked one right from Microsoft to use on T-Mobile. It is a fantastic phone and should also have the 8.1 update very soon.

The HTC one will probably be a decent phone, although I'm not so sure how well the camera is in it. If camera is lower priority then it should be a great phone. If camera is priority then the ICON/1520/1020 are very good contenders.

Short answer:

The camera in the One should be faster, and it should have those 3D focus features. The Icon has resolution in its favour, and may be better in low light thanks to stabilization. It's also the one I'd pick for video recording due to the high dynamic range audio tech. I'd personally pick the Icon because of the camera resolution (it's good for cropping shots) and the virtual guarantee that it'll get nice features quickly, but the One will have the better industrial design, a slightly faster processor and those big honking speakers.

specific carrier?

I use T-mobile.

However, I have herd the Lumia Icon can be swapped over to T-Mobile with ease.

I'd either stick with T-mobile if they get a 935, or the HTC, or switch to straight talk and see what ATT offers in the up and coming months.

Is there a piece of hardware keeping people from running WP on Android hardware? I would think it would be feasible on these phones that have identical hardware (ATIV/Galaxy, One M8) to dual boot somehow. I have a One M8 and would love to try WP out on it. I've unlocked the bootloader and got S-Off on it, which I would think be required to do too.

will older WP get 8.1 upgrades? I was thinking of picking up the 1520 but not 100% sure.

Is there a piece of hardware keeping people from running WP on Android hardware? I would think it would be feasible on these phones that have identical hardware (ATIV/Galaxy, One M8) to dual boot somehow. I have a One M8 and would love to try WP out on it. I've unlocked the bootloader and got S-Off on it, which I would think be required to do too.

The main issue is that unlike Android, WP isn't downloadable or open. Afaik there isn't a version of it that can be moved between phones that even run WP currently. If there were more interest someone might be able to figure out a way around it but as of right now it's pretty locked down.

will older WP get 8.1 upgrades? I was thinking of picking up the 1520 but not 100% sure.

Officially you should be fine with a 920 & up. Unofficially any phone that can run WP8 is up gradable through the dev program. The main difference is that the L920, 1020, 1320, 1520 will all get the Lumia Cyan firmware updates where a phone like the lumia 810 will not.

The main issue is that unlike Android, WP isn't downloadable or open. Afaik there isn't a version of it that can be moved between phones that even run WP currently. If there were more interest someone might be able to figure out a way around it but as of right now it's pretty locked down.

Yeah, that's the gist I've gotten from it, but haven't really read into it. Seems like making WP installable on other hardware would be the perfect way for MS to get WP into people's (like me) hands to try out. I guess I'll just pick up a cheap WP device if I see a good deal on one to try it out. I'm pretty happy with Android though, so it would have to pretty damn nice for me to switch over, but I'm still intrigued enough to want to try it. I just don't think the app market or feature set is there for tinkerers/power users like me though.

http://www.dailytech.com/HTC+One+M8+for+Windows+Officially+Announced/article36420.htm

HTC One M8 for Winphone announced. The article is incorrect about the pricing - it is showing 199 on the VZW website. This looks like a great phone. I think I'll be picking one up this week.

Think HTC/Verizon gave everyone the same pricing -- Engadget (whose leaks were on the ball, BTW) also has it at $99. Guessing the PR folks either goofed, or that pricing is going to change.

Either way, this is probably the Windows Phone to get in the US unless you really want a PureView camera. Premium-feeling materials, a really nice display and features that tend to be useful day to day.

Apart from the size of their phones, I think Nokia makes the nicest looking phones.

I want an upgrade to the Nokia Lumia 1020.
I want its successor to have a APS-C crop sensor so that photos will appear as though they were done by a DSLR.
I want to be able to have exposures longer than 4 seconds.
I want there to be great bluetooth integration to allow for bluetooth shutter releases (including for standalone flash modules).
I want there to be improved white balancing and K value adjustments.
I want the phone to be able to charge with greater amperage than the amount it uses (yes, if you video record and are plugged in through AC it will use more electricity than it charges from wall) so that I can record for longer while being mobile.
I want there to be third-party chassis like Nokia's grip accessory but with better batteries, possibility to attach lens, iR shutter release, removable SDXC/SD storage (strictly for photo and video), and waterproof chassis grips.
I want this phone to be the king of consumer-grade sub-DSLR devices.
I don't mind having a slightly thicker phone for this to be possible.
What if there could be a camera grip accessory that in itself featured an APS-C sensor instead of the APS-C sensor being built into the phone?

One of the coolest thing about the HTC One W8 is now we'll actually know just how energy efficient WP is as compared to Android, with finally the devices having the same exact hardware. Hopefully this will wake up Google and get them to think about efficiency more.

One of the coolest thing about the HTC One W8 is now we'll actually know just how energy efficient WP is as compared to Android, with finally the devices having the same exact hardware. Hopefully this will wake up Google and get them to think about efficiency more.

Hasn't Samsung done the same thing with the GS3/Ativ S and GS4/Ativ SE?

Not the same screens or SoC's in either comparisons. The S3/Ativ S doesn't even have the same battery either. Sure, they are similar like a GS5 is similar to a GS4... This is the first time it's actually same everything. I certainly would love to see a completely benchmark comparison too.

Most important question: Will the new handsets have Here Maps and other Here applications, or are they only Lumia limited. If they can be only installed on Lumia, then having anything apart "phone formerly known as Nokia" is useless, as you will be locking yourself out of one of best free maps apps ever.

it is still the same problem MS needs these phones to release at the same time or within weeks of a major release not 6 months later. By the time these phones hit we will probably be right into the fall release schedule which will put them in competition with beast known as the note and the iphone. And they will be pitching what people will consider last gen phone specs. Who is going to get excited about a rerelease of the spring phones?

Most important question: Will the new handsets have Here Maps and other Here applications, or are they only Lumia limited. If they can be only installed on Lumia, then having anything apart "phone formerly known as Nokia" is useless, as you will be locking yourself out of one of best free maps apps ever.

Here Maps is available for everyone, thankfully; not sure about the others. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft makes those apps available to everyone, because it doesn't have an incentive to keep features exclusive the way Nokia did.

Reports are already in on that: http://tabtec.com/comparison/htc-one-m8-windows-75-battery-life/

75% more battery life, just by changing the OS from Android to Windows Phone 8.1

In-use time is up from 12 hours to 21 hours.
Standby time is up from 12.2 Days to 15.5 Days.

I believe it when I see it. Considering how poor battery life my 920 has (especially when browsing or navigating, let alone gaming), I definitely need to see some tests.

I should be getting mine tomorrow... I don't have the android version available for comparison :(

I'm definitely looking forward to the switch to WP8.1

I believe it when I see it. Considering how poor battery life my 920 has (especially when browsing or navigating, let alone gaming), I definitely need to see some tests.
I'll say again, I also have a 920 and have no issues with battery life.

The phone has always lasted all-day without a problem, and the new Cyan firmware + 8.1 Update has made the battery life even more phenomenal. And this is with me using GPS and firing up GBA emulators all the time.

Maybe you have a bad battery?

Everything is possible. The battery indicator is acting weirdly for some time. For example device reboot can make 15% difference.

That's true on all phones though.

Not in my experience (and sometimes the thing goes off when there should be about 20% left), it can be closer to 20%. In other phones the percentages may rise (tiny bit) after reboot but never have I seen -~20%. Also it did not used to be like this. I'd say that it started doing this since the DP 8.1 and it is the same with Cyan (I've wiped my phone completely and downgraded to 8.0 before updating to Cyan). Not even my Galaxy S with its ancient battery does that (it can still do ~4h wifi browsing by the way).

I actually use it quite a bit... Like now. Pretty much perfect dimensions and weight. I'll almost certainly switch to Z3 Compact. It should replace both.

Last edited:
Back