Any specific model/brand or anything will do ?

Vesqwi

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I have very few knowledge in SDD so I'll need your help choosing the right one to get for this new rig I'm building. All I know is:
-I won't do Storage at all (I have an external HDD for this)
-I will need enough space to install my Win7 64bit OS + 3-4 game of ~8Gb at once
-Won't use any app either, will be solely a gaming rig.

so I guess 120Gb SSD would be enough.. would it ?

CPU: i7 2600K
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (will go Crossfire in a year or so)
Memory: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz (2x4GB)
Hard drive: 160Gb SDD
PSU: SeaSonic X-SERIES X-1050
Monitor: Asus VG236HE
Cooling: ????
Case: ????

Yep, for what you are describing, a 120 GB drive should be fine. It should even give you a little room for future expansion.

Crucial, Corsair, and Intel seem to be the favorites around here right now. I would avoid OCZ as they have seem to have let their quality slip the last couple of years.

Have fun, and let us know how things work out.

Don

Yep, for what you are describing, a 120 GB drive should be fine. It should even give you a little room for future expansion.

Crucial, Corsair, and Intel seem to be the favorites around here right now. I would avoid OCZ as they have seem to have let their quality slip the last couple of years.

Have fun, and let us know how things work out.

Don

Thanks Don

Just dont buy a Corsair Nova Series 2 or any other drive with a Phison controller. They are terrible - better sticking with spinning rust!

Just dont buy a Corsair Nova Series 2 or any other drive with a Phison controller. They are terrible - better sticking with spinning rust!

I have been using Phison drives for quite awhile (5 quarters or more.) Nowhere near current gen drives, BUT... they have made OK HTPC drives when all you need is an OS and media apps to load and everything else comes from the network.

The Crucial M4 128GB, which is a solid choice, is on sale a few places this weekend.

The Crucial M4 128GB, which is a solid choice, is on sale a few places this weekend.

I wouldn't mind buying one at a reduced price today... Names of said places putting them on sale?

I wasn't a fan of the Crucial drive I had, but that might just have been me. Personally, I'd rather have the Corsair Force Series GT depending on price. NewEgg has it today for $190, though the 180GB model is $220 after MIR (so more space for a few more games, plus extra headroom for spreading the writes around).

Back