Any small smartphone recs.?

dvsman

2[H]4U
Ok so normally I've got 2 phones - one for work (samsung s6 edge + on AT&T, just upgraded) and my personal phone 2013 moto x (Verizon). You can guess which one needs upgrading :)

Since I already have the Samsung, I want my personal phone to be smaller so I can pocket whichever one suits the situation (or both if needed).

Any ideas peeps? Or anything coming down the pike I should wait for? Thanks!

You could theoretically hold out until the next Nexus (possibly unveiled late this month) and see if that hits the spot.

I'd point to the Xperia Z5 and Z5 Compact, but it's not clear when they'll be available in the US. Other than that, it's slim pickings among high-end yet mid-sized Android phones... GS6 and HTC One M9 come to mind, and I wouldn't pick the One M9. If you were willing to see how the other half lives, you could always pre-order an iPhone 6s! :p (Hey, it should have great performance and a great camera.)

Thanks fellas, I'll definitely check out the Z5 Compact. I just don't want to have 2 full size phones to carry around. I used to use iPhones (up until the 4 series) but I've had enough of that.

Amazon's been clearing out their 4.7" Fire phones real cheap (particularly if you factor in the year of Prime). Good hardware underneath the Amazon skin, just throw cyanogenmod on there.

Amazon's been clearing out their 4.7" Fire phones real cheap (particularly if you factor in the year of Prime). Good hardware underneath the Amazon skin, just throw cyanogenmod on there.

Amazon recently confirmed that it sold out of stock. You'd have to go with a third-party vendor, and I wouldn't count on that. Probably better to just snag a Moto G at that point, since it'll receive stronger support.

Define small phone. For me anything 5inches and smaller is small for me(LG3 Users) But I would wait for either new 5.2inch nexus or the z5 compact

Small phone = same size as the phone I'm replacing (Moto X 2013) or smaller. But numbers-wise the same as you have said 5"ish or less, Vengeance.

On Verizon, there really isn't any Android phone available that size that's high-end and would be worth replacing the Moto X. Xperia Compact phones aren't available on Verizon. The smallest available right now is really the S6/S6 Edge at 5.1", which isn't really small, just a smaller version of your other Edge+, hah. Only thing available other than that is the iPhone.

I'd wait to see what the nexus 5x will look like. The z5 compact and original galaxy s6 edge are good choices as well.

I'd recommend the new 2015 Moto G. Its 5-inches to the 2013 Moto X's 4.7-inches, so you wouldn't going up in size all that much, its very affordable at $220 for 16GB/2GB version (the 16GB onboard is supplemented by a microSD slot), and the performance and battery life are both excellent. I never end a work day at less than ~66-68% battery, regardless of how much I use the phone.

Thanks for the ideas, T4rd / FRZ. I'm not in a super hurry so I can wait to see the Nexus 5X. Was looking at the Z5 Compact but didn't know they weren't on Verizon (DOH!). Too bad too was really digging it.

KingOHeroes - never looked at the Moto G but I guess I should.

Thanks fellas!

Amazon recently confirmed that it sold out of stock. You'd have to go with a third-party vendor, and I wouldn't count on that. Probably better to just snag a Moto G at that point, since it'll receive stronger support.
It's a cell phone, I don't see how buying from a third party matters in the slightest. People have bought cell phones from carriers (aka third party vendors) forever.
As long as it hasn't been registered and comes with the year of Prime, it's a stupid good deal at $135/$160 for 32gb/64gb.

As far as support, the fact there's a ton of these cheap Fire phones out there bodes extremely well for community support and development. I remember when HP cleared out their Touchpads, there was a TON of community support after the sale, despite them being on WebOS rather than android/iOS.

I think sometimes when you buy from a third part vendor there could be issues with warranty but again that also depends on if you buy from a reputable vendor or not.

Again, not available on Verizon. At least the new 2015 G isn't and there hasn't been any news of it coming either from what I've seen.

Ah, yeah, I missed that part.

There is the new 5.2-inch Nexus 5X coming out soon and should be a decent option, provided it gets Universal LTE, or at least a Verizon version, like the Nexus 6 has. Also assuming 5.2-inches isn't too big.

Back