Any sense in upgrading 939 with new Socket?

BigGreenMat

Limp Gawd
I was lucky enough to build a system early on during Socket 939 with PCI-E. My current system is a Winny 3200+ on an Asus nf4-SLI with 1gig of DDR ram. Now the more I look at what my future upgrade path will be the more I see that I am looking at a COMPLETELY new system going forward. AMD is basically done with 939, their new M2 socket will get all new processors and will go to DDR2 ram, so this means that from now forward if I upgrade I will have to upgrade my cpu, mobo, and ram correct? Is there any point to upgrade to the current available 939 stuff or would that be a waste of money?

Well you could just drop a new proc and some more memory into your current rig and be happy for a long time. Doesn't look like the new CPUs are going to be cheaper or that much faster in the near term.

personally I am sitting on a 3200 in a 754 with AGP and I am waiting for the fall to do a total upgrade of ram/video card/cpu/mboard. I will most likely go with AM2 or conroe if its all its cracked up to be.

If I was in your shoes and the and could just upgrade the proc and memory I would just do that and cruise on into 2007 with a pretty nice setup and a few more bucks in my pocket.

Not just yet. Wait for AMD's 65nm architecture to be released before contemplating an upgrade. If anything, just go get a newer cpu (dual core perhaps) and drop it in your s939 mobo. Opterons are the cpu of choice ATM.

BigGreenMat said:
I was lucky enough to build a system early on during Socket 939 with PCI-E. My current system is a Winny 3200+ on an Asus nf4-SLI with 1gig of DDR ram. Now the more I look at what my future upgrade path will be the more I see that I am looking at a COMPLETELY new system going forward. AMD is basically done with 939, their new M2 socket will get all new processors and will go to DDR2 ram, so this means that from now forward if I upgrade I will have to upgrade my cpu, mobo, and ram correct? Is there any point to upgrade to the current available 939 stuff or would that be a waste of money?

the 939 has plenty of life in it yet. A fast dual core and another gig of ram would bump performance considerably, depending on what you do. I definitely wouldnt worry with any immediate upgrade to M2.

I *personally* dont think M2 will last very long before amd transitions to ddr3, a topic sure to get me flamed, but there we go. I plan to leapfrog M2 myself.

You have a pretty solid system right there. I would wait till AMD goes 65nm or when conroe is released. A good 1gig kit of DDR2 is around 120-150 and a good 2gig kit can be purchased for 230-250 and those prces are bound to come down as even faster stuff is released. Conroe is supposed to be priced affordable and once AMD goes 65nm their prices should drop as well as they are much more affordable to fab. You should be fine with what you have and if it runs all your games and aps fine then no need to upgrade.

Tutelary said:
the 939 has plenty of life in it yet. A fast dual core and another gig of ram would bump performance considerably, depending on what you do. I definitely wouldnt worry with any immediate upgrade to M2.

I *personally* dont think M2 will last very long before amd transitions to ddr3, a topic sure to get me flamed, but there we go. I plan to leapfrog M2 myself.
That is very true. AM2 should have a life of about 1year mainstream till the move to 1207pin is made.

I agree with the suggestions to just drop in a new 939 if you want to upgrade now. AM2 won't pay off until 65nm. The big payoff will be with the new architecture which is even further away.

Yep, got my dual core opty. I am very doubtful that I will need to upgrade anytime soon as the performance boost rumored for the AM2 does not seem to be significant. However, if the rumors and inital tests are true for the intel conroe, I may have to go that route for the parents' computer.

magnuspah said:
Yep, got my dual core opty. I am very doubtful that I will need to upgrade anytime soon as the performance boost rumored for the AM2 does not seem to be significant. However, if the rumors and inital tests are true for the intel conroe, I may have to go that route for the parents' computer.

ahem. more like give the parents the opty, and use the conroe for yourself :D

I just upgraded my fine Opty system with a cheap-o sempron 3100+ NF3 Outpost.com bundle :D. Depends on what your needs are. I wouldn't upgrade to anything less than dual core though if I were you.

Tutelary said:
ahem. more like give the parents the opty, and use the conroe for yourself :D

:D Just can't do it. Since they are paying half of their system and the other parts are gift from me, I feel like I should go with the best for them. As for going intel for me, just can't do it. Have been an amd guy for so long now. I only got side tracked once when I got the pres-hot but I immediately remedied the infraction.
Then again, once the performance comparisons come out, i am sure I will be tempted.

Tutelary said:
Cpt Twitchy said:
That is very true. AM2 should have a life of about 1year mainstream till the move to 1207pin is made.
DDR3 has a long way to go before production quantities are sufficient enough to meet Intel's demands. DDR2 doesn't seem to be facing performance scaling issues either.

And who's to say that AM2 cannot support DDR3?

xonik said:
And who's to say that AM2 cannot support DDR3?
it all depends on whether it ends up being electrically compatible or not. i really hope it will be :(

also, i have a feeling that AM2 will stick around for a while, and it's replacement.. well, most likely 1207 pins as per socket F won't be needed. i'd hope not at least.
a move to an LGA platform would be nice though :D

Back