Any Ryzen 3 3200G fans out there?

Astrowind

Weaksauce
I know some of you want the fastest you can buy but for those who do light gaming, what is your experience with the 3200G?

i have one running cp3 and cp2 emu, probly overkill for that, ill try civ 6 when i get home and report back or do you have any test in mind?

Still using the 2200G, debating about grabbing the 3400... But happy with what I have for now.

It’s used on the main TV for emulators/720p gaming, when reading reviews it did not seem to offer a large enough bump to justify the upgrade.

If I were to grab one... I would go with the 3400G/ASRock A300, downside is the sodimm ram.

I'm using a 3400g in an HTPC, which is just 5% to 10% faster, I think. Mostly for media use, but I also plan on using it for indie gaming on my TV, and for 'walking simulator' type games, like Life Is Strange, etc. It should also do well in some older or less technically demanding AAA titles. It pushed Wolfenstein II at playable levels at 1080p when I fired it up, not on max settings, of course.

When are we looking for a true "3000" series release? I have read various things that have me excited. The Navi GPU and the extended RAM support should be great leaps.
I would think by Zen3 we should have actual HBM on APU and usher in a whole new era.

When are we looking for a true "3000" series release? I have read various things that have me excited. The Navi GPU and the extended RAM support should be great leaps.
I would think by Zen3 we should have actual HBM on APU and usher in a whole new era.

probably sometime next year. zen 2 + navi based APU does sound pretty good though given the performance increase and lower power maybe 1080p on an apu might be an option soon.

If these were based on Zen 2 then they would be interesting. Some bs marketing calling these 3xxx series when they are basically the same thing as the 2xxx APUs. I don't see any use outside a cheap system and htpc for these. Gaming is very meh on these.

If these were based on Zen 2 then they would be interesting. Some bs marketing calling these 3xxx series when they are basically the same thing as the 2xxx APUs. I don't see any use outside a cheap system and htpc for these. Gaming is very meh on these.
3400g is zen+, 2400g is zen, 4400g or whatever they end up calling it will probably be either a zen+ revision or zen 2, depending on how well zen 2 works with their gpus.

They're being fairly consistent within families (apu, cpu, workstation, server), you just have to know what you're buying.

I had a 2400G and its good for the most basic gaming tasks. The APU would be an absolute winner if it had

1. A little more cache
2. 2 more cores
3. Who cares about 65 watts, bump it to 95 and be done with it.

They would have a sweet performer with 7nm Zen / Navi and some HBM alongside it. Questionable cost effectiveness but there are some sweet form factor perks.

I ran the 2200g in my wifes and daughters rigs .. My wife ran 3 monitors and just watched movies on one monitor, spreadsheets on another and chrome with 20 tabs open on the other..

My daughter played Fortnite, Strange Brigade and of course Minecraft on her 1080p monitor and I was impressed that it played Fortnite and Strange Brigade so well...

I "upgraded" wife to the 3200g (better memory controller and can now run 4 sticks of memory stable) and I upgraded my 2700x to a 3700x and moved my 'old' chip to my daughters rig and also gave her a GTX1060 3GB vidcard... sold the 1 2200g on Craigslist and put together a rig with the other 2200g to sell locally

I ran the 2200g in my wifes and daughters rigs .. My wife ran 3 monitors and just watched movies on one monitor, spreadsheets on another and chrome with 20 tabs open on the other..

My daughter played Fortnite, Strange Brigade and of course Minecraft on her 1080p monitor and I was impressed that it played Fortnite and Strange Brigade so well...

I "upgraded" wife to the 3200g (better memory controller and can now run 4 sticks of memory stable) and I upgraded my 2700x to a 3700x and moved my 'old' chip to my daughters rig and also gave her a GTX1060 3GB vidcard... sold the 1 2200g on Craigslist and put together a rig with the other 2200g to sell locally

Whew I had to get a peg board, pictures, and string to FBI that chain of events together lol

Glad you like the new 3200g. I cant wait to see how the zen 2 apus will fare.

Whew I had to get a peg board, pictures, and string to FBI that chain of events together lol

Glad you like the new 3200g. I cant wait to see how the zen 2 apus will fare.
yeah .. was on my 4th double shift when i posted that :sleep:

3400g is zen+, 2400g is zen, 4400g or whatever they end up calling it will probably be either a zen+ revision or zen 2, depending on how well zen 2 works with their gpus.

They're being fairly consistent within families (apu, cpu, workstation, server), you just have to know what you're buying.
I do wish they would have stuck the the naming convention for apu, it's confusing a 3400g is a 2000 series Zen+, not zen2. I mean, everyone here probably understands, but still... Just confusion for no real reason.

I do wish they would have stuck the the naming convention for apu, it's confusing a 3400g is a 2000 series Zen+, not zen2. I mean, everyone here probably understands, but still... Just confusion for no real reason.

Yeah they started this problem with the 2000G APUs. They come out in between 1000 and 2000 Ryzen, they should have called them 1000G APUs.

I think a lot of eagerly waiting to see what 7nm APUs contain. Hoping for more cores and Navi GPUs, but we probably only get them fall 2020. :(

Yeah they started this problem with the 2000G APUs. They come out in between 1000 and 2000 Ryzen, they should have called them 1000G APUs.

I think a lot of eagerly waiting to see what 7nm APUs contain. Hoping for more cores and Navi GPUs, but we probably only get them fall 2020. :(

Yeah, I am very interested, I have two ITX desktops at the house, both in cases that fit full size GPU's though, would be great if I could get a zen2 APU that was good enough not to need a dGPU. Eagerly awaiting, although by the time they come out, the 4000 series will be coming out soon after :).

I would have loved it if I could have gotten a 6 core APU with at least Zen+ when I was forced to upgrade recently. Sadly the built in graphics would blow away what I'm still having to use for a video card simply because I didn't have the money to upgrade it at the same time. Plus I would probably need a new PSU since mine is somewhere around 12 years old.

I would have loved it if I could have gotten a 6 core APU with at least Zen+ when I was forced to upgrade recently. Sadly the built in graphics would blow away what I'm still having to use for a video card simply because I didn't have the money to upgrade it at the same time. Plus I would probably need a new PSU since mine is somewhere around 12 years old.

The CCX design probably makes it uneconomical to really do a 6 core APU (unless if it was a cut-down 8 core, which brings its own issues with economy). AMD already had to cut down on the L3 cache to reduce the footprint of the chip. My best guess is these chips are AMD's mobile play (evidenced by their 12 PCIe lanes - 4 for the chipset, though in APU laptops, there is no separate chipset, leaving all 12 lanes for use). The desktop aspect is almost secondary.

With chiplets being a thing, I would love to see a proper APU with CPU + GPU + HBM. Intel has already proved a janky version of this can be done on a single package (Kaby Lake-G with Vega), time for AMD to actually leverage their acquisition of ATi, instead of letting others do that for them (consoles and Intel).

The CCX design probably makes it uneconomical to really do a 6 core APU (unless if it was a cut-down 8 core, which brings its own issues with economy). AMD already had to cut down on the L3 cache to reduce the footprint of the chip. My best guess is these chips are AMD's mobile play (evidenced by their 12 PCIe lanes - 4 for the chipset, though in APU laptops, there is no separate chipset, leaving all 12 lanes for use). The desktop aspect is almost secondary.

With chiplets being a thing, I would love to see a proper APU with CPU + GPU + HBM. Intel has already proved a janky version of this can be done on a single package (Kaby Lake-G with Vega), time for AMD to actually leverage their acquisition of ATi, instead of letting others do that for them (consoles and Intel).

I have no doubt you're right about the limitations. That's one reason why I'm not complaining about there not being one, just wishing there was one.

I also agree 100% with the chiplet concept for an APU. It's something that AMD should find a way to do since they have everything they need to do it. Sadly, the market for it is probably niche unless they were somehow able to get the power requirements really low for mobile use which likely isn't feasible.

I also agree 100% with the chiplet concept for an APU. It's something that AMD should find a way to do since they have everything they need to do it. Sadly, the market for it is probably niche unless they were somehow able to get the power requirements really low for mobile use which likely isn't feasible.

I bet the next APU is still monolithic. Hoping for 8 Core, because I agree, 6 core native is unlikely with CCX design, and I doubt they want to redesign a 6 core just for the APU.

I bet the next APU is still monolithic. Hoping for 8 Core, because I agree, 6 core native is unlikely with CCX design, and I doubt they want to redesign a 6 core just for the APU.
Power / heat will probably require they disable a couple cores and make a six core. Either that or it's just gonna be four cores. I gave up on dreaming of APUs I would actually buy several generations ago.

Power / heat will probably require they disable a couple cores and make a six core. Either that or it's just gonna be four cores. I gave up on dreaming of APUs I would actually buy several generations ago.

Launching in late 2020 with only 4 cores seems a little problematic. Intel has had 6 core laptop CPU for some time, and laptops is were AMD needs to break through.

I'm eyeballing the 3400g for a storage/backup/camera host server. You guys see anything wrong with that? It will be replacing a 4C/8T Sandy Bridge variant Xeon.

I'm eyeballing the 3400g for a storage/backup/camera host server. You guys see anything wrong with that? It will be replacing a 4C/8T Sandy Bridge variant Xeon.
depends on what operating system you are going to run on it

FreeNAS? .. it would work I'm sure .. but not ideal. .. I'm not aware of anything "not working"

Google is an idiot and it shows just how unreliable they are.

Freenas is NOT and I repeat NOT an operating system by any stretch, ok maybe a super mega stretch. It is a program that runs on a modified base FreeBSD platform. It uses Sun Microsystems (original owner) ZFS as its storage management system that is embedded within the Free BSD OS.

You can install FreeBSD and install a raw CLI only version of ZFS and it's still BSD. FreeNAS is an UI with some custom touch up to ZFS.

Any kernel changes to FreeBSD by thier devs are the ultimate deciding factor in the development and continuation of FreeNAS as FeeeNAS depends on the kernel functions of FreeBSD. When you modify parameters in freenas your actually modifying behavior of the BSD OS or the ZFS subsystem.

In fact if you are good enough at development you can repair a broken freenas from the shell of bsd. But freenas has no shell because it's not an OS and if you tap into the shell function from the freenas UI, guess what?! Its FreeBSDs shell.

In fact no2., Freenas devs have to wait on ZFS devs to implement new features and bug fixes before they allow you to upgrade your pools via thier freenas ui interface. In fact freenas has to release new versions for you to download once bsd and zfs teams release thier versions which are much higher level development. Without BSD and ZFS freenas is just a useless web interface.

I guess in defense of google, Microsoft Word is an operating system.

Last edited:
I have built like 8 3200G systems at work, and they have been great. Nice little machines.

Here are a few of them:
YQfaJ3k.jpg

Freenas is NOT and I repeat NOT an operating system

It's a distribution. As a distribution, it includes FreeBSD, the operating system which it is built upon.

It gets you up to running a storage server faster than just tossing FreeBSD on a box.

Is there an OS that doesn't work well with 3400g?

If talking about FreeBSD, as AMD APU support on the FOSS side has lagged for whatever reason, that's something you'd want to research.

However, since ZFS on Linux is a thing, you can just grab the latest Ubuntu LTS and do that instead.

Back