Any rumors on the Zalman VF900?

Isn't this thing coming out this month? I want to see it, lol. I'm about to buy the NV5.

i guess it isn't coming out this month, there are only a few days left, unless they are doing a super hard launch and letting everyone know like a few minutes before. I would guess maybe another month or so. No one even has reviews or previews of it really.

I've put some thought into getting the NV5 also, i'm just waiting to see how this performs first.

N H O said:
have you post pics of it in my thread? if you did, i dont remember seein them :p

i have heard that the vf900 would cost at least $40 :)

Yes I did post pics of it

Any idea how this will perform compared to the stock x1900xtx cooler? I purcahsed an ATI x1900xtx and am looking into overclocking it a bit on air of course. The stock fan is the loudest in my case, but I don't mind when it spins up and I'm gaming because all I hear is the game :D I just built my first system a few weeks ago and this is all new to me, but I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Additionally, the RAM Heat Sinks, do you just stick them on the front and back of the card as in some of the videos on Zalman's web site? Any pros/cons to using the ones supplied with the Zalman or should you purchased a third part RAM Heat Sink? What about Artic Silver 5? Should this be used on a video card as well? Will this fan type increase heat in a system case because it does not seem to send air out of the case as does the stock cooler for the video card. Am I missing something?

Don't know what temps you get on it, but it probably doesn't cool as well as a 3rd party cooler. The stock cooler on my 7800gtx seemed to stifle the memory, when I put on the FS-V7 I got from someone at dfi-street it dropped the core from 80 load to 65 load and the memory from around 65 to 35 under load. I think what helps the most is that all the memory chips and the core aren't smothered under the same plate, there's just not enough heat transfer.
Yeah, the RAM heatsinks just stick on the chips, just push them on firmly and once you start using the card they should sort of cure on with the temp. There isn't really any need to get 3rd party ramsinks, the Zalman ones would drop the mem temps way below stock cooling as it is. The only con really to ramsinks is that they aren't reusable, the cooler I got from dfi-street I needed to get some thermal tape to reapply the used ramsinks.
Arctic Silver, people usually don't like to use it on video cards because of all the little traces around mem chips and whatnot that could possibly be bridged by the compound, if you're not careful. As long as you don't use too much it's not really a problem, like a dab half as big around as a pencil eraser is for the core. And if you're using ramsinks you don't need to worry about AS5 on the memory.
Like I said, I don't really know what temps you get with stock cooler, but if they're high enough that a 3rd party cooler would be worthwhile it probably doesn't matter if it exhausts the air or not. As long as you have decent circulation in your case and you cpu temp isn't already on the edge it really shouldn't be a problem. Looking at your question again, yeah the system temp will increase when the card is under load, but like I said, how much depends on circulation in the case. Maybe between two equally performing coolers, the advantage may go to the one that exhausts directly outside the case, but between a stock and high-end 3rd party cooler, it doesn't really factor into the equation.
Wow, sorry that was so long, maybe this should be a pm :eek:

So uh..how about those VF900s, boy aren't they something..any dates yet? :)

I'm getting by ok with the stock cooler right now, but i'm not really pushing any OCs. 690/1.6 is the highest i can go in CCC, and i'm to much of a noob to use ATi Tool lol

You guys are all talking about performance but also remember one of the biggest gripes about the v700C was it's weight, the V900 is lighter also.

Juic3 said:
http://www.excaliberpc.com/Zalman_VF900-CU_Pure_Copper_VGA/VF900-CU/partinfo-id-564280.html

$49.95 + $4.82 shipped

Preorder for a 3/27/2006 Launch.

Is it me or is that asking a bit much for a VGA Cooler ? Or is it just price gouging at its finest ?

I think they are price gauging this vga cooler. Everyone has been talking about this cooler and have known that is coming. Many video card enthusiasts or high end pc gamers I'm sure want one so maybe people are willing to pay $50 for a vga cooler. That's outrageous to pay that much for a vga cooler. I payed 30 or 35 or something on a thermaltake extreme giant III for my 9800 back in the day and I thought that was a lot for a vga cooler. I'm gonna wait until they actually come out and other websites are selling them to see if the price drops to like 40 or something. Then maybe will I think about getting one.

thats waaaay too much.

i want this cooler, and i want it at a reasonable price!

... and i want it now? :D

Dutt1113 said:
I think they are price gauging this vga cooler. Everyone has been talking about this cooler and have known that is coming. Many video card enthusiasts or high end pc gamers I'm sure want one so maybe people are willing to pay $50 for a vga cooler. That's outrageous to pay that much for a vga cooler. I payed 30 or 35 or something on a thermaltake extreme giant III for my 9800 back in the day and I thought that was a lot for a vga cooler. I'm gonna wait until they actually come out and other websites are selling them to see if the price drops to like 40 or something. Then maybe will I think about getting one.
...and when did $70+ become acceptable for a non-watercooled CPU cooler, exactly? Look how popular the 9500 is becoming already. Computer prices are steadily climbing- video cards used to be $300, heatsinks used to be $30, and motherboards used to be $50-75. The only boards for over $100 were the obscenely enthusiast-oriented boards, like Abit's IC7 line. I tell ya, my Opty set-up had better last me a damn long time if prices keep climbing like this.

Yep the price on the 9500 cpu cooler makes me think this is gonna be the price on e-tailers, whats up with the guys at zalman.

I piad 37.50 for my scythe ninja, which has totally blew my socks off. I am willing to pay the same for a awesome vid cooler. Not a penny more.

The thing is people keep paying the high prices for the products, so companies such as Zalman can keep charging insane prices. Given the 9500 is a great cooler, but i paid half that and got the same performance.

Problem is, they can justify it.

Think about it this way- yeah, watercooling will do a ton better, in consistency at the VERY least.... But, when's the last time you checked the price on a good VGA waterblock? Heck, look at the price of one of the DangerDen blocks! Well worth it, but still a TON of money.

They'll keep raising prices until they can't anymore.

Personally, I'll keep my VF700 for now... With the 120mm fan blowing intake air right over it, it tends to stay pretty chilly... Chilly enough where temps aren't stopping me from raising my OC any higher. (last night I recorded a 31* idle, and 45* max temp after about 4 hours for FFXI)

edit: Those temps are on an eVGA 7800GT OC'd to 500/1200.

I was going to wait for this, but when I saw the price and thought that it's just going to blow more hot air around the case I decided against it and get the arctic cooler Nv5 ver3... at least it blows the hot air out.

I don't really like the look of these cause they remind me of sea animals.

I am sorry if someone already asked/answered this question, but how many slots does it take? if any.

it doesn't look like it will take anymore slots compared to the stock cooler. That's a plus for me, but I don't use my extra slots.

thats basically what im thinking... as nice looking as the new cooler will be, if it doesnt do much better, it wont be worth it.

Jason711 said:
thats basically what im thinking... as nice looking as the new cooler will be, if it doesnt do much better, it wont be worth it.

Yeah, just waiting for results on this one, or I hit the vf700cu for 28$ shipped, so this one better be VERY VERY good.

Juic3 said:
Yeah, just waiting for results on this one, or I hit the vf700cu for 28$ shipped, so this one better be VERY VERY good.

Where for $28 shipped?

and if the 900 only goes a couple degrees cooler for double the price... no thanks.

Is there anyway this could be used or modified to replace the stock chipset cooler on the Abit IC7-G Max II Advance?

mckennaiii said:
Is there anyway this could be used or modified to replace the stock chipset cooler on the Abit IC7-G Max II Advance?
I would think the cooler would be too large for that, take a look at the pics and you'll see it's about as wide as the video card's height.

What I would be wondering is if it's possible to mod it to fit a P-M system.

mckennaiii said:

there isn't a need to. I have that board in my other computer and a $5.00 passive heatsink from cooler master is keeping it at very low temps...why would you spend $50 on a vid cooler for a chipset....makes no sense.

Doesn't seem like that big of a performance jump to warrent the price...but the Leadtek cooler does look like a monster...I might get it just because it'll be quieter than my current vacuum cleaner :(

yeah.. thats what i dont like about it. that isnt the typical stock heatsink.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
...but the Leadtek cooler does look like a monster.

Oh it was. I installed one on a guy's rig before. It's part of the reason I ordered my 7800GTX's from Leadtek. And of course was disappointed when I recieved that dinky little stock POS...

*grumble*

Back