Any rumors on displays/panels either 1080p 120hz+ IPS (preferably 8 bit) or non curved VA 120hz+?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by limitedaccess, Jan 11, 2018.

1. limitedaccess

limitedaccess [H]ardness Supreme

Basically the title, any rumors on displays/panels either 1080p 120hz+ IPS (preferably 8 bit) or 1080p non curved VA 120hz+?

2. limitedaccess

Is there any VA 120hz+ 1080p options that are non curved besides from Foris?

The VAs with Samsung Panel (eg. CFG70) at the moment is the nearest to what I want aside concerns about the curve.

3. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

The curve is not a problem as it is very slight, and if anything it helps mitigate some of the angle issues of the VA panel. The purple ghosting of moving black text on white backgrounds when scrolling is much more annoying than the curve, trust me.

For me at least, the lack of backlight bleeding, excellent blacks and excellent colors more than make up for everything. The 24CFG70 is the best monitor I ever had, slightly better even than the Dell U2311H.

4. limitedaccess

I've seen the curves in stores before and to me there were pretty apparent. My concerns are -

1) I use 2 displays so any differences in the displays are magnified as its always side by side compare. At the moment I have a VA and IPS display and the difference in them already is a bit bothersome sometimes when going between them.

2) I don't only play single player fps/third person games. I've seen the curve being talked about from a immersion stand point but I wonder what happens if we expand that to games that are top down or other viewpoints.

3) From a more competitive gaming stand point I wonder about the muscle memory adjustment now, and possibly in the future as new display would be a differing curvature.

4) I prefer a primary display and secondary display setup. I imagine 2D tasks might be a bit weird on a curved panel as well (eg. image viewing or editing).

The above is what is making me hesitate with going with a curved panel. Otherwise that Samsung or even the cheaper MSI one using the same panel seem pretty nice. 144hz with strong color space support, good response and VA contrasts.

I'm also a bit of a die hard IPS 8 bit 1080p high refresh hold out, but that is looking like maybe never. Especially with the current GPU situation the premium for a 1440p move isn't very enticing (it's even a bit of a negative for Overwatch to me due to how the game works).