Any rumored dates for the 1TB Samsung 950 Pro?

RandysWay

[H]ard|Gawd
Just as the title says. Is there any rumored/speculated dates for the release of the 1TB Samsung 950 Pro?

"Along with the 850 Pro increasing in capacity in the third quarter, we should also see the 1TB 950 Pro release, of course with 48-layer 3D V-NAND as well." (source)

The wait for the higher-density V-NAND is because Samsung insists upon making sure the 950 Pros are single-sided only; they could have released a 1TB at the same time as the 512GBs, but it would have to have been double-sided.

The wait for the higher-density V-NAND is because Samsung insists upon making sure the 950 Pros are single-sided only; they could have released a 1TB at the same time as the 512GBs, but it would have to have been double-sided.

they could have made longer sticks.....plenty of MB support the longer standard M.2 :/

Apparently Samsung can't do double-sided because of thermal issues:

Anandtech said:
The PCIe 3.0 x4 interface certainly gives the drive plenty of headroom. And based on the performance of the 950 Pro, it's doubtful that an M.2 drive will be able to saturate the interface before running in to thermal limits while still remaining in the same form factor. Future drives in this area will probably have to implement aggressive power saving techniques in order to keep average temperatures low enough to accommodate bursts of activity. The 950 Pro and the PCIe ecosystem in general have a lot to improve upon here.

The M.2 form factor is also constraining drive capacities to a degree. The back side of the 950 Pro is empty so a 1TB model should be geometrically possible if not economical, but the extra NAND packages would be even more susceptible to thermal problems. Samsung is instead choosing to wait for their 256Gb third-generation V-NAND before offering a larger model of the 950 Pro.
(source)

yea termal issues was a given...unless it was in a vertical position or on a PCIe card...there woudl be massive issues if done in a m.2 MB slot (unless vertical)

Ah yes, I remember the reason now--with all the "throttling" issues. Thanks for reminding me!

Another problem I noticed on a lot of Z170 motherboards at least is that the NVME slot shares bandwidth with the thousand other peripherals all connected to the DMI link to the CPU, instead of having 4 dedicated PCI-e lanes from the CPU. I saw maybe one motherboard that smartly used switches between an x8 slot and an NVMe slot, splitting it to 4x/4x if the NVMe was populated (not using a PEX bridge).

I plan to go AIC for a future build this year (once Broadwell-E is out), or MAYBE consider one of the 2xNVMe->PCIe 8x adapters--which do use a PEX chip to switch traffic--but they're about $250 or so at the moment.

Ah yes, I remember the reason now--with all the "throttling" issues. Thanks for reminding me!

what does that mean? If your referring to current gen the only reason they throttle is because people have crap cases.

This is from a review on Maximum PC for the Samsung 950 Pro:

Best NVMe SSDs

There is one potential cause for concern with the 950 Pro drive, and that’s thermal throttling. In short, the amount of data that the drive and controller can process in a short amount of time is staggering. Under heavy loads, however, it can cause the controller to heat up to the point where it has to reduce clock speeds in order to keep temperatures in check. For normal workloads, this doesn’t happen much and even when it does it’s not particularly noticeable.

Last edited:
Thus is from a review on Maximum PC for the Samsung 950 Pro:

http://www.maximumpc.com/best-nvme-ssds/

again crappy cases with no air flow. I can do F@H and run benchmark on mine and it barely reaches 60C in worse case. Just use some common sense in design of your rig. I can see laptops having issues though for sure! They need to consider design and her into it with either a heatsink or some sort of fan.

what does that mean? If your referring to current gen the only reason they throttle is because people have crap cases.

Well, "crap" airflow, technically ;)

But Samsung has to design for the worst-case scenario...

Well, "crap" airflow, technically ;)

But Samsung has to design for the worst-case scenario...

thats what throttling is there for...worse case. It is like expecting intel to design a CPU to run in a box with no air...seriously?

I am looking forward to the release of the 1TB in hopes that the 512GB might go down a little in price. Is that wishful thinking? :(

Early 2016 my ass. Damn it's already mid-2016 and not even news about the 4tb evo/pro and 1tb 950 pro.

Yeah i also hope for the new 1 tb to arrive since OCZ just released a 1 TB variant.

Samsung has released new SSDs in very early July in previous years, so you might see something then.

Samsung has released new SSDs in very early July in previous years, so you might see something then.
no further updates? I know last statement was September but wasn't sure if new news was released and i missed it.

no further updates? I know last statement was September but wasn't sure if new news was released and i missed it.

Well they announced the SM960 and PM960 OEM replacements with better benchmarks than the 950 Pro so its likely the 960 Pro will be announced any day now with 1TB capacity and better speeds than the 950 Pro series.

As of June 22, 2016:

"Also reportedly in the upcoming product pipeline are 960 PRO and 960 EVO models. While many awaited a 1TB version of the 950 PRO series, it would appear that Samsung has chosen to instead utilize the new 48-layer V-NAND to make a 1TB version as the 960 PRO. A logical extension of this would be a 960 EVO, which would represent Samsung’s first retail M.2 PCIe 3.0 X 4 SSD utilizing TLC NAND. One would expect a price point similar to that of the 850 EVO, yet with a significant performance boost via the faster PCIe interface." (source)

So we're in the Real Soon Now™ phase for a 1TB 960 Pro.

that source is dumb...it was always know 1TB was waiting on 48 layer derp derp. What is news is they are re-branding it instead of calling it a 950PRO like they first intended.

that source is dumb...it was always know 1TB was waiting on 48 layer derp derp. What is news is they are re-branding it instead of calling it a 950PRO like they first intended.

The 960 Pro is way more powerful than the 950 pro. I'm going to guess the decision was based on being competitive with the upcoming Optane SSD drives. Its a brand new controller which gets much higher iops and less thermal.

The 512gb version already undercuts the 950 pro 512 by $48 so you are right that the Plextor is cheaper, is nvme, and the 950 pro will be close in price. I agree with you completely!

Yes consumer NVMe SSDs have way better drivers. Also that Plextor M8Pe is very interesting. Might try and compare it to my Intel 750 1.2TB.

I'd like to know when the firmware update to allow e-drive will be coming to the rest of the range (if it ever will)

Most SSD's hardware encrypt the data written to the NAND by default, but the keys are stored in the controller in such a way that it's transparent to the rest of the computer. eDrive has Bittlocker manage the key and store it in the TPM rather than encrypting/decrypting the data in software. The performance hit from Bittlocker isn't huge, but being able to use eDrive would mean no overhead at all compared to an unencrypted drive.

Samsungs SATA drives, such as the 850 evo support it, but the 950 pro has an asterisk next to it in the spec list saying 'with firmware update'

I'm hoping that when the 'final' model for the range comes out that the firmware will be forthcoming, but i'm not basing that on anything other than blind optimism.

Hardware Accelerated BitLocker Encryption: Microsoft Windows 8 eDrive Investigated with Crucial M500

eh...i rather use veracrypt...i think it is probably less likely to get broken or have back door. If i get around to it i want to use a few different softwares on important stuff.

Samsung does have the OEM edition of the 960 available already...Samsung SM961 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review

About $550 US from RamCity.

I have had it on order from them for a while and it was just delayed to mid oct ship date from sep 5. I would not hold out hope if I were you. I may end up cancelling now because the retail version may be out soon enough to make the hassle of the oem not worth it.

Back