Any routers better for gaming than others?

EricDawg

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Netgear FSV318 that is losing connection more often. Thinking about replacing it. Any routers/firewalls out there that are better for gaming than others?

My Netgear support experience:
I tried to register on Netgears website to post a message and it wouldn't take my purchase date as valid. (it was a valid date). I called there 888 number and got a dot head in India. He told me that I had to register first. I said I couldn't because of the invalid purchase date. He said it's probably because I'm entering a purchase date that is before the manufacturing date. Fuck me. How is that possible? He told me to register first, and then that support isn't available for me after 90 days. I said the phone menu I went through said to push this number for support after 90 days. He said yes that's correct. WTF? I told him to fuck off. God damn outsourced fucking idiots. Ok I feel better now. Well... not really.
:mad:

Yes I upgraded the firmware. It worked the first time. Spotty since then.

The D-Link GamerLounge routers are suppose to be better for gamming when there's heavy network ussage. I've read some reviews about it, and it's gotten very well accepted, so, you might want to try that.

My slightly older SMC router works great with games.

Usually I have this running:

2 Computers running CS/DOD/FarCry/America's Army/Age of Empires/ect
1 Xbox Live running which ever games
1 PC Wirelessly Web browsing

and I get 130 or so ping on the computers with my 4000/384 cable connection.

I've been using a Netgear FVS 318 for over a year now and I've never had a single problem with it's performance, gaming or otherwise.

If yours is version 3 it's pretty much different components from what I read. I was pretty happy with it until the last month. A few long stretches were it lost my DSL IP. Funny I upgraded the firmware and that fixed it right away. For a day. But it's been solid for a few days now.

Their support sucks ass though. Some Indian finally emailed me and told me how to setup my internet correctly. Except he told me how to set it up for a static IP address, not DSL. Which I have and provides a dynmanic IP address. Thanks Sadhir.

I dunno. We'll see. I won't be buying Netgear again though. I liked the product, but I hate companies that give shitty service. Outsourced especially. I know... they all do it. I'll buy a friggin CISCO router if I have too! :mad:

EQTakeOffense said:
The D-Link GamerLounge routers are suppose to be better for gamming when there's heavy network ussage. I've read some reviews about it, and it's gotten very well accepted, so, you might want to try that.

Gracias guys.
:)

Back