Any regrets going to Laptops from Desktop?

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
Im moving into a small bedroom (10x10) next month and im tyring to decide if I need to a desktop replacement. I dont play games anymore and if I do its gonna be only CS:S. Itll be mainly used for Internet, web design and some movies. If I go to a Laptop, I would get a 17 inch with a 8600GS HP DV9500vt..

My Current desktop is 24 inch LG 1920x1200, Q6600, 2GB Corsair, 8600GTS 256, 2x200GB Raid, 500GB storage HD, SB X-fi Platinum, Vista Premium.

Will I regret going to a laptop?

The major drawback with laptops is the limited upgrade options, but for your uses that doesn't look like it'll be an issue.

Will you keep your current monitor? If not, I'd recommend getting the WUXGA screen on your HP if that option is available.

The major drawback with laptops is the limited upgrade options, but for your uses that doesn't look like it'll be an issue.

Will you keep your current monitor? If not, I'd recommend getting the WUXGA screen on your HP if that option is available.

I only see WSXGA on the 17's.

That's still a pretty good resolution for a 17" LCD. I think Sager offers a laptop with 17" WUXGA LCD.

The only thing that you're likely to regret in moving to a notebook is losing storage space - I'd recommend either investing in some USB/Firewire external drive cases, or ones that connect right into your router. Otherwise, I haven't had any regrets in moving to notebooks only for the past couple of years.

my opinion on going mobile:

if you're still wanting to game with it, dont go mobile. a 17" laptop loses the whole purpose of a laptop in my eyes (mobility). you have an amazing gaming system now in your desktop, so i'd keep that or just go with something a little more portable if you want to switch for space concerns.

obviously this is just my opinion, as are the rest of the posts here. your main concern may not be using the laptop outside of your room, in which case portability is not an issue.

there are a lot of factors that affect the decision! (either way you should keep that monitor to use as a secondary monitor!)

Dude, just keep ur desktop and buy a small laptop and ull be set....theres absolutely no reason why u need to ditch ur current desktop...space is not an issue just buy a corner desk and ull be set, im living in a room 11x11 and can fit a laptop, a desktop, a huge corner desk, a dresser, bed, and still have space to spare...so unless ur room is gonna be packed with a room mate ull be fine...

The only thing you lose by going mobile is the gameability. But like you, I do not game anymore and this has not been a problem. Even my PS3 and 360 go to waste right now sadly.

The power, for most uses, is still there and there is the added portability brought by using a laptop. Also, there is the decrease in space and the ability to use the same external devices that you would with your desktop. If you are not gaming or doing the work necessary of desktop power, a laptop is the way to go (unless price is an issue of concern).

No regrets whatsoever. I used to be a HUGE gamer, but since games got boring for me the laptop was a nice choice. I've saved money by switching to a laptop :)

I have to agree with those suggesting a small laptop as a companion to your very capable desktop. I spent years using "desktop replacement" class laptops. Despite being a serious weightlifter, I got sick of lugging around 7-10 pound 15.4" and 17" laptops. You can count on a laptop weighing more than the specs claim. Smaller laptops in the 13.3" category are as nearly as robust as their 17" big brothers, save for graphics power.

I have zero regrets in moving to a laptop; even as a gamer. I enjoyed reclaiming the space having a computer desk took up and using it for something else. I now work in either the living room or the dining room. . . or even away from home as my heart desires. I like using the same computer at work and home, it keeps everything more organized that way.

I personally prefer the 17" WUXGA laptops for the screen realestate. Bought a good backpack that is ergonomic so I don't have any problems with the mile walk to work and back daily. As far as battery, I can't think of anywhere that I haven't had a plug available. Work, home, friends, coffee shop. . . all have readily accessible power.

I have zero regrets in moving to a laptop; even as a gamer. I enjoyed reclaiming the space having a computer desk took up and using it for something else. I now work in either the living room or the dining room. . . or even away from home as my heart desires. I like using the same computer at work and home, it keeps everything more organized that way.

I personally prefer the 17" WUXGA laptops for the screen realestate. Bought a good backpack that is ergonomic so I don't have any problems with the mile walk to work and back daily. As far as battery, I can't think of anywhere that I haven't had a plug available. Work, home, friends, coffee shop. . . all have readily accessible power.

Interesting.

I personaly prefer 2 systems. I have a smaller notebook with a good res screen(14 inch 1400x1050) that I carry around and use for school and work. Keep it clean as far as whats on it. Desktop I can play games one and try stuff out on as it has a lot more storage.

As far as battery life goes I prefer to be able to run a while without an ac plug. For one if I take notes in class most don't have power plugs where I need them. If I am using it at a clients or something I prefer not to have to find an open plug. Also with my evdo card I can go sit in the park somewhere and do work. Yes the park near my house has ac outlets in the pavilions which is really nice but sometimes I like to sit in the field or on a bench somewhere.

What about in the car while on a road trip? Hows the wireless internet on that?

What about in the car while on a road trip? Hows the wireless internet on that?

Mixed. I've had a few issues using the wireless while sitting shotgun with my notebook. Usualy it is pretty good though. Depends on where you are going. So far though I've been very happy with it. Have a few clients that are switching to evdo cards for their homes as they can't get dsl or cable. Have one that just ordered the a card and I am going to pick up an evdo router tommorrow. In his case he can't get dsl or cable yet verizon says that can get evdo to his house. Haven't tried yet. One of my boss' have a verizon card but is going to get a newer one as his isn't evdo revision a. With that we will be able to test sites for clients before they order one. I have the sprint version. Have another client in the same setup that is going to get a sprint card for her house. Doing tests from my notebook I was able to pull 500kb to a meg down a sec which means over 60kB a second on the low end. Nothing compaired to cable or fios but a hell of a lot better then dial up and it is as fast a lower end dsl. At my house and at the park near me I get 800kb to a meg down easy and 800kb up. Has a faster upload then my cable internet most of the time.

I was for a while testing my speed at random around town(Richmond VA area) and most places I get at least a 500k down connection. Upload seems to drop like crazy in some areas where it is only 120 to 150k up even when it says I'm on an evdo "a" network but for stuff like surfing the net who cares. Mind you right now the limit seems to be around 1.2 megs down tops on both sprint and verizon even though the cards in theory can peak at 3.1 down and 1.8 up.

Right now I'm trying to convince my boss to buy me a nice big evdo antenna and amp for my card. Have more then one client that I think we could switch to evdo and get them off satellite which now sucks with a good antenna as they are close to the towers but not close enough right now.

Should mention that some of the cards also have built in gps which might be really nice for a road trip but my aircard 595 doesn't(I think they usb version does though which sucks). Thing is I don't know how well this would work in a car as most gps recievers I've seen don't like sitting under a metal roof. In my case I just use my microsoft gps reciever I got back in like 05.

I have had a few laptops in the past, but nothing like my current notebook. Thank god Intel created the Pentium M design, or else we would have never had the Core 2 architecture. At just 35 watts, all core 2's mobile chips are smoking fast for almost any application you can throw at it. I do not miss my space heater, or how much space it took up. I Love the mobility, and because I am not into games like i was a few years ago, a laptop made sense for me. In desktop apps laptops and desktops are on a level playing field. In gaming a desktop will always win. With my notebook, I feel I have the best of both worlds. Core 2 2.0GHZ 4meg L2 cache, 8600GT, 3GB of ram, 7200 RPM SATA Drive, WSXGA+ screen all in a 1.1inch thick 6LBs notebook with 3+ hours of battery life. Not for a while will I go back to a desktop. :D

I have had a few laptops in the past, but nothing like my current notebook. Thank god Intel created the Pentium M design, or else we would have never had the Core 2 architecture. At just 35 watts, all core 2's mobile chips are smoking fast for almost any application you can throw at it. I do not miss my space heater, or how much space it took up. I Love the mobility, and because I am not into games like i was a few years ago, a laptop made sense for me. In desktop apps laptops and desktops are on a level playing field. In gaming a desktop will always win. With my notebook, I feel I have the best of both worlds. Core 2 2.0GHZ 4meg L2 cache, 8600GT, 3GB of ram, 7200 RPM SATA Drive, WSXGA+ screen all in a 1.1inch thick 6LBs notebook with 3+ hours of battery life. Not for a while will I go back to a desktop. :D

what if your motherboard goes out?

This is the best question to ask. Opening up a laptop is no where as easy as opening a desktop to swap a mobo. Besides, desktop mobos are easily ordered from plenty of vendors. Laptop parts usually only are offered by the manufacturer (or eBay) and the often rape you on the price. This is why I usually recommend a full warranty on a laptop for as long as you intend to keep it. The web is filled with horror stories of guys who's laptop died a few weeks or months after their 1 year warranty expired. A $300 3-year accidental damage warranty will pay for itself the first time you have to replace your mobo, videocard or (heaven forbid) crack your LCD.

Yup, I also got Dell's complete care for my laptop, anything happens they run a tech out to fix it. Or like when my hard drive died, they'll overnight me a new one. It even covers accidental damage, so if I dropped it, they will repair it.

So if the motherboard goes out, Dell fixes it, free of charge.

I got both a desktop and laptop now, but for a while i had just a lappy. You make comprimises all the way around, there not too bad, but god a cheap desktop LCD seems to be way ahead of a lot of laptop LCD's. Scope out your models screen before you buy if you can.

I pretty much use my notebook for everything i do on a computer, and prefer it over a desktop. The sole reason i keep a PC around is for: movies, music, and above all, storage (mainly for those first two items).

The main benefits for me are:

I don't need to sit in a chair, confined to one room.
I can lay down on the couch, with my notebook in my lap and do pretty much everything i would do on a PC.
No more sitting up when i'm hungover to browse the web.
I can take it from room to room.
I can use it on my patio outside.
No wires.
Mobility.
No added heat to a room.

The downfalls are:

No storage.
Small screen for movies.
Crappy sound.
No gaming or benching (which i was heavily into both before, and the thing i miss most)
Lack of upgradablity.

Overall, i prefer using a laptop. I since set up my PC in my living room, with wireless keyboard and mouse so i can still have access to the storage/movies/tunes. It's running on my Westy, so i feel i have the best of both worlds. No regrets.

I have been with a laptop only, DTR, for the last three years and going. I dropped computers for about 2 years as I got out of gaming. Then I got back in with a DTR in '04.

That one was only 60 gig's upgraded from a 40 gig on an HP upgraded to 2 gigs ram. My XT5000T is now Raid0 2x160 gig 7200.2 drives so storage for my needs is not an issue. Upgraded to a TL-64 from the TL-50 too so speed for my non gaming tasks is not an issue either with the 2 gigs dual channel pc5300 in there.

I can take it to the bedroom kitchen or any other room in the house. If I want I can sit on the porch or in the back yard enjoying a beer. Good thing too is it is easy to put away and regain the desk for other tasks too.

I would only go back to a desktop if there were something I just couldn't do, or it became overly laboring, on the DTR. For my use I don't see that happening any time soon.

As said elsewhere requirement for mobility is the primary reason for getting a laptop.
I'm not convinced by the space-saver argument.

I have a large range of portables from a Sony UX390N UMPC all the way up to a Dell XPS M1710 and I don't use any of these for 'fixed' work. The closest I get is with the M1710, but this is more as a transportable desktop in the field as I have proper desktop computers at the places I'd actually be sitting down for any length of time.

I say keep your current desktop and find creative ways to shoehorn it into your room - and get a basic laptop for where you want mobility. Shame you guys don't get the Samsung Q45 in the US. It's a great, cheap, compact and lightweight machine perfect as a second computer.

What do you mean "Any regrets going to Laptops from Desktop?"???

I bought an IBM Thinkpad 560X laptop for $100 for writing notes during class and I'm keeping my desktop.............................................

You don't really need that much power for CS:S. Having used the 17" HPs at work, they're certainly nice systems, but I'd rather have a 15 or 14" screen system with the same videocard (say, an Asus G1s). If you're wanting a big screen or numpad or whatever, take a larger monitor with you.

I had my 15.4" T60 hooked up to a 37" LCD playing TF2 at 1920x1080 w/o any issues...and it's a measly x1400!

Back