any recommendations for a hdmi to vga converter?

Xaero_toast

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for something an adapter to connect the HDMI port of my Geforce 240 GT to a VGA monitor. It's kind of an unfamiliar area for me. I've had two geforce cards in my triple monitor setup for a long time, and only just recently realized I could use the hdmi as a third monitor port, and free up a card to go in another rig. I'm not dealing with anything high-end, I'm just going from a PC to a flat screen 19" monitor. Some of my monitors take DVI and VGA, others just VGA. I could go either way with this (HDMI to VGA, or DVI), so I'm open to suggestions if my first idea isn't the best. Otherwise, I'll probably just go to VGA in the interest of being universal (can use any monitor).

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400359 is what I've got in mind so far. Like I said, this is nothing high end, so I'm just looking for the cheapest one that is still reliable. Thanks

HDMI to VGA means an active converter. That means a relatively high price and another thing to potentially go wrong.

HDMI to DVI-D on the other hand is just a passive adapter/cable so much cheaper and much less likely to cause problems.

Well, I found a Belkin unit on sale at Best Buy during school shopping.

It turns out my card, despite having 3 outputs counting the HDMI, only supports two displays. Activating the HDMI display simultaneously deactivates another display, so it looks like I'll be continuing to use two cards for my triple monitor setup. (Actually, it sounds like upgrade time).

Also worth noting, and I don't know if this is specific to this HDMI-->VGA adapter, or it applies to all of them, but the resolutions available on the display connected to the HDMI were just the television resolutions (1920x1080, 1280x720, etc). I could not get the 1280x1024 I wanted anyway,

Is this a common hassle with an HDMI port, or is this something specific to my current card (geforce 240 GT) or adapter? I'm starting to think the next card, if it can't have vga or DVI for the third port, I may look for one with a DisplayPort.

What are the specs of the rest of the rig? Does it have onboard video? If it does, you might have to adjust a setting or two in the bios to get it to work while you also have a PCIe adapter installed.

In most situations like this, you can just use the onboard video for your 3rd output. It usually actually works better if you put both the 2nd and 3rd monitor on the onboard video, and only have your nvidia adapter driving the primary monitor.

looking for a cost effective solution for this as well

piles of VGA monitors around and raspberry pi does not output VGA

What are the specs of the rest of the rig? Does it have onboard video? If it does, you might have to adjust a setting or two in the bios to get it to work while you also have a PCIe adapter installed.

In most situations like this, you can just use the onboard video for your 3rd output. It usually actually works better if you put both the 2nd and 3rd monitor on the onboard video, and only have your nvidia adapter driving the primary monitor.

Abit IP35 Pro (P35 Chipset)
Geforce GT 240 Primary (PCIe x16)
Geforce 220 Secondary (PCIe x4)

I currently have 3 19" flat panel monitors (not widescreens). I was just looking at the possibility I could drive them all off one card. This board has no onboard video provisions.

FWIW, I was able to achieve other resolutions with the HDMI port. I just had to change resolutions in the driver tab. Windows (7) didn't offer choices other than common HDTV resolutions, but it did turn out to be possible. In the end, it didn't matter, as the GPU is only capable of simultaneous operation of two displays.

It appears nVidia's 700 series have up to four outputs and are capable of using them all. That may be my next upgrade.

Back