Any reason to upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra?

I have a mid 2009 Mac Pro and it's currently running El Capitan. The OS Sierra is not supported on this Mac. I found a site with a work around and I may be able to upgrade. Is it worth the trouble to upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra or should I stick with El Capitan? Thanks.

Security is one reason, older OSes don't get all the patches. And some softwares will not work with older versions (and vice versa unfortunately).

So if you upgrade you need to prepare to buy updates to some of your apps. Also Sierra will bring some new usability features but mainly minor things. Dark mode is my favorite enhancement of High Sierra.

I'm running an old 2007 iMac off an M.2 USB ssd enclosure with an old SSD ripped out of a 2015 MBP. It's booting and running High Sierra with no problem.

I would say unless a program you need requires it, I'd stick with cap. At least youve got that going for you, last year I upgraded four macbooks and an iMac all from 2009-2011 that had like tiger, leopard or snow leopard on them. Couldnt just update through the store either I had to upgrade to Yosemite then arrive at cap or Sierra all using the DMG method. One MacBook and the iMac required resetting the local password too. Pain in the ass to get those upgraded...

Honestly I couldn’t tell you any differences in the last 6 or 7 OS X releases

I had problems mounting drives under Sierra, El Capitan was a far more stable release for me.

I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro that I installed El Capitan on and figured this was as high as it would go but after installing El Capitan Hi Sierra showed itself as an upgrade. So far, working flawlessly.

If I were to install a Metal-compatible card it should be upgrade-able to Mojave.

I’m an upgrade whore and usually upgrade and patch everything in sight. But sometimes if something is old and working maybe it’s best to let it be.

Back