Any reason to update iOS on my iPhone 5?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
So my android phone screen is wrecked right now and I do t have the cash to repair it right now, so instead I've swapped to my backup phone which is an iPhone 5 running 8.4.1. There's a few apps I want but they require iOS 9+, thing is I've heard that updating older iPhones makes them run slower, any truth to this? The apps I want arnt critical and certainly not worth screwing up this phones day to day speed for lol.

Is it worth upgrading to iOS 10?

IOS10 will run faster than what you have.

There is legitimately no reason to not update.

Unless you care about jailbreaking, I would upgrade to iOS 10. Do a clean install with DFU mode.

Even if you care about maintaining your jailbreak, odds are they've been waiting for 10.1 to release a jailbreak since it introduces the new camera features for the iPhone 7+.

Unless you care about jailbreaking, I would upgrade to iOS 10. Do a clean install with DFU mode.

Even if you care about maintaining your jailbreak, odds are they've been waiting for 10.1 to release a jailbreak since it introduces the new camera features for the iPhone 7+.

Not the the iPhone 5. 32bit devices didn't make the last jailbreak.

My iPhone 5 was just retired (4month old used iPhone 6S, yay) and will be staying on iOS 8.1 indefinitely to use as a Remote Messages interface while I'm at work.

IOS10 will run faster than what you have.

There is legitimately no reason to not update.

Untrue. There have not been any speed improvements for legacy hardware. The performance in fact goes down. There was another thread discussing this exact same topic. On 5/5C/5S it's slower in all speed tests.

EDIT: iPhone 5s users on iOS 10
Feel free to scroll down. I posted all of the videos and links inside there documenting speed decrease in iOS10 on older hardware.

Which is also precisely why I haven't updated my 5S and will either never upgrade or continue to wait until they create tangible speed improvements in legacy hardware.

Untrue. There have not been any speed improvements for legacy hardware. The performance in fact goes down. There was another thread discussing this exact same topic. On 5/5C/5S it's slower in all speed tests.

EDIT: iPhone 5s users on iOS 10
Feel free to scroll down. I posted all of the videos and links inside there documenting speed decrease in iOS10 on older hardware.

Which is also precisely why I haven't updated my 5S and will either never upgrade or continue to wait until they create tangible speed improvements in legacy hardware.

Don't know, we have them at work and it was a decent speed boost or similar. There would be one for sure going from iOS8 to 10. Most in your thread even commented that they didnt notice anything if anything but a bit faster.

biggest reason? software will stop using the older SDK's eventually which will be a PITA.

That and security enhancements

so I said screw it and updated my iphone 5 and so far I regret it lol. It runs slower for sure, not unusable but you can feel the lag when doing normal things and I don't like the changes to things such as the swipe down notification area and lock screens. I wouldn't recommend updating older iphones unless you have to.

Don't know, we have them at work and it was a decent speed boost or similar. There would be one for sure going from iOS8 to 10. Most in your thread even commented that they didnt notice anything if anything but a bit faster.

I think you need to reread everything then as you are seeing what you want to see. Even Anand says (paraphrasing) that it's slower, but they recommend it for features. A position that I disagree with.
My phone works perfectly fine on iOS9.3.5. And there is not a single feature on iOS10 that will make my phone operate differently enough to make any speed loss worth it. I'll extend the life of my device simply by not making it slower.
That said, if Apple produces a patch that increases speed on older hardware to at least parity with iOS9.3.5, then I will happily upgrade. Until then, no thanks.

so I said screw it and updated my iphone 5 and so far I regret it lol. It runs slower for sure, not unusable but you can feel the lag when doing normal things and I don't like the changes to things such as the swipe down notification area and lock screens. I wouldn't recommend updating older iphones unless you have to.

Sorry about that. I'm assuming it's because of Apple's unfortunate nagware to get you to upgrade. Mine FINALLY stopped doing it after I deleted the update off of my phone about 7 or 8 times.

I think you need to reread everything then as you are seeing what you want to see. Even Anand says (paraphrasing) that it's slower, but they recommend it for features. A position that I disagree with.
My phone works perfectly fine on iOS9.3.5. And there is not a single feature on iOS10 that will make my phone operate differently enough to make any speed loss worth it. I'll extend the life of my device simply by not making it slower.
That said, if Apple produces a patch that increases speed on older hardware to at least parity with iOS9.3.5, then I will happily upgrade. Until then, no thanks.

Sorry about that. I'm assuming it's because of Apple's unfortunate nagware to get you to upgrade. Mine FINALLY stopped doing it after I deleted the update off of my phone about 7 or 8 times.

Sorry about that, I just have 130 of the stupid things and have had no slowdowns on the device or poor battery life, infact it got better for most users. Possible its a combination of apps that work worse in different combinations of iOS.

Back