Any reason to not get Vista Ultimate over Vista Home?

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
Lookin at those hot deals for upgrades to Vista Home, and really wonder if it's worth the difference in money to cheap out.

As a gamer, are there any big features I'd be sorely missing from Ultimate?

I remember from ages back there was mention about extra features to assist gaming only available in ultimate, but that was ages ago....

Anyone got some input?

Better question, is there anything is Ultimate you want/need for the price?

Why do you assume ultimate is what you need in the first place?

Are you referring to the deals on Newegg.com and other etailers for coupons for free or low cost upgrade to Vista if you buy XP? If so, you only get to use the upgrade coupon if you buy a computer preinstalled with XP Home, MCE, or Pro. That might include buying all the parts to build a computer at the same time as you buy XP (OEM) though, but I got screwed as I only bought XP MCE, and now I can't use the upgrade coupon.

ryan_975 said:
Are you referring to the deals on Newegg.com and other etailers for coupons for free or low cost upgrade to Vista if you buy XP? If so, you only get to use the upgrade coupon if you buy a computer preinstalled with XP Home, MCE, or Pro. That might include buying all the parts to build a computer at the same time as you buy XP (OEM) though, but I got screwed as I only bought XP MCE, and now I can't use the upgrade coupon.

*cough* http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1116086&page=1&pp=40

But yes, what I'm looking for is whether or not there are features I would use in ultimate.....

Ahh, great, thanks. I hadn't followed it in a while since everything I read pointed towards me being screwed for jumping the gun. But I retract my previous statement, and will delete it (boy I seem to to that a lot).

As far as the difference between Ultimate and Home Promium, I don't personally see any that would really impact gaming. There might be a few features for security (such as Bitkeeper) that would appeal to a business environment though.

Ultimate has somekinda game channel type setup in it. Something that really isn't that big of a deal. For me unless I can get ultimate real cheap I'm going with Business. I need RDP support as I remote into my machine all the time. Domain support is also something I want. For the normal person the better home will be fine.

/Shurg

Edition Comparison:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx
(Not all that in depth)

You can do a google search for more.

In any case, the question is: Do you want to pay the money? As my work place has both a Voume License and MSDN subscription I personally Opted to get Vista Business (Rough equalivant of XP Pro). Why? I didn't need any of the so-called "functionality" of Ultimate. Media Center? No Thanks. Mini-Games? No Thanks. General Bloat? Double No Thanks.

Does my copy run just the same? Yes. Does it run damn near everything XP does and Vista eventually will? Probably. That, and if by some miracle and chance I for some reason ever need to update to Ultimate, I can buy a product key (as time goes on prices often tend to go down) for a decent price and upgrade Business.

Key there: Buy Cheap now, Upgrade Cheap later.

Any who, I seem to have lost my point. It really boils down to money, and if you want the feature sets that come with Ultimate. Do you need it? And how many times are going to actualy use those features?

Seems pretty simple.

Ultimate has everything all the other editions have and more, so it's "The Big Kahuna" basically and will consume about 12-13GB of drive space after the install depending on your RAM because of the pagefile.

Home and Home Premium are most closely associated with XP Home and Media Center Edition, respectively.

Business and Business Premium are most closely associated with XP Pro.

I personally will be choosing Business as soon as I get my email from Microsoft about the 114 bugs I sent in during the beta/RC phases. Wish I could get a key for each bug, man that would be sweet.

:D

Unless you are able to get a legal copy of Vista cheaply. I see no reason to upgrade.

Hmm, didn't realize Home Premium had Remote Desktop disabled, other than that Home Premium seemed perfect for me...

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
Hmm, didn't realize Home Premium had Remote Desktop disabled, other than that Home Premium seemed perfect for me...

It can easily be circumvented by using a VNC software so it's a moot point.

Vista Ultimate consumes approximately 9gb of the hard drive, including 2gb of pagefile once you install and reboot the first time (its just over 10gb till after reboot).

Ultimate has the Media Center edition as well as Tablet PC edition among other things.

ryan_975 said:
Heh, I went to newegg to check those deals out. Look what comes up when you type "vista" into the newegg search box:
http://promotions.newegg.com/microsoft/vista/index.html

oooh, a shiny new Aero verson of newegg.

The only reason I can see to get Ultimate over Home Premium is to get the ability to join a Windows domain, bitlocker and any other feature I forgot about that is in Business or Enterprise editions.

As far as I can tell, the only thing a general home user would want ultimate for is a) remote desktop or b) bragging rights. In the off chance that you want to use IIS or advanced file encryption (available in vista business) as well as the media center functions then you may want to get ultimate. If you want a larger e-penis, get ultimate. If you'd rather put the extra couple hundred bucks towards something useful...

Russell said:
As far as I can tell, the only thing a general home user would want ultimate for is a) remote desktop or b) bragging rights. In the off chance that you want to use IIS or advanced file encryption (available in vista business) as well as the media center functions then you may want to get ultimate. If you want a larger e-penis, get ultimate. If you'd rather put the extra couple hundred bucks towards something useful...

Extra networking features could also be useful if you're installing it on a laptop that you're bringing around everywhere.

Also, anyone wanting to run in a VM should note that only Business and Ultimate are licensed for VM use. Granted, that doesn't apply to "general home users," but for people around here, it may be significant.

For many people, the ability to join a domain is v. important.

Also, RDP is infinitely useful... hence my need for the business edition.

Back