any reason to not get a gtx 480 tomorrow?

SticKx911

2[H]4U
so in the f/s section a waterblocked gtx480 came up at a good price. I was in the market for a good deal on an ati 6950, but according to anandtech they perform similarly and since this is about the same price and including a waterblock...I thought it was a no brainer, but I've never owned an nvidia card since the ti4600, and since it is "last-gen" I wasn't sure if there were any features I'd be missing.

Thanks as always!

oh, fwiw, I currently have an ati 5750 on water. only cooled by a dual 140, so temps are of a concern, but I'm sure if I don't OC that I should be fine.

games I'm playing at the moment are Grid and Fallout NV. This upgrade is in prep for SWTOR.

Missing nothing. The 480 is an amazing card, especially with proper cooling. You will not be sorry. The drivers are excellent. Very few problems. Overclock it and you can outperform a GTX580. I did.

edit: and it's not "last gen", GTX200 series was "last gen" and the 480 is current gen (500 series is a 400 series reshuffle, same core technology and features).

Since the 480 is watercooled, that takes care of the noise/heat issue they come with. Snatch it quick :)

oh, fwiw, I currently have an ati 5750 on water. only cooled by a dual 140, so temps are of a concern, but I'm sure if I don't OC that I should be fine.

games I'm playing at the moment are Grid and Fallout NV. This upgrade is in prep for SWTOR.

you have a 5750 on water?:D

back on topic the 480 is a great card.

480 on proper wc can oc pretty darn high. gl with ur purchase

crap....I loose my 3 monitor support. :(

Can I stick in like a fx5200 in my second slot (non-SLI) and run another monitor (I only game on 1 screen, I just use the other 2 for photoshop and movie watching) Or stick in a pci card?

crap....I loose my 3 monitor support. :(

Can I stick in like a fx5200 in my second slot (non-SLI) and run another monitor (I only game on 1 screen, I just use the other 2 for photoshop and movie watching) Or stick in a pci card?

You may be able to use the 5750 if you can convince the drivers to play nice.

That's what I was worried about. I don't want to mix drivers, and I have an old pci-e fx5200 in the closet collecting dust that I guess I'll try. My research shows it may work. lol. but at such an age gap, I'm not sure. I just figure I'll try it and see.

My GTX 480 oc's to 905 core / 2130 mem on air and it's actually pulling even if not faster than a 580. The few extra shaders in the 580 aren't that big of a deal.

Back