Any reason this mobo would not be compatible with this PSU?

Swede88

Lurker
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 700w

Thanks for your input!

Yes: That's a piece of shit PSU. Even if you using onboard video with Celeron CPU, I still would not trust that TR2 700W PSU.

Bought it locally at Fry's as my previous PSU went out. Limited to what is in stock over there. Don't want to spend more than $80 on the PSU as well. I guess I could order something off of Amazon if need be.

Well most B&M stores overcharge on the PSU. So you're generally better off buying a PSU online from a price to performance standpoint. What's the specs of your PC?

This is from memory since I can't use my rig to find out, and I believe I upgraded it back in 2009?

CPU: i5-750
HDD: can't recall, SATA though
RAM: g.skill ripjaws; I think 4 GB
Video: ATI Radeon 5850

That's what I can remember
PSU: (the dead one - Antec Earthwatts 650)

i use one of those a test bench psu with very very light loads.

too many horror stories on newegg.

This is from memory since I can't use my rig to find out, and I believe I upgraded it back in 2009?

CPU: i5-750
HDD: can't recall, SATA though
RAM: g.skill ripjaws; I think 4 GB
Video: ATI Radeon 5850

That's what I can remember
PSU: (the dead one - Antec Earthwatts 650)

Get this PSU as a replacement then:
$66 - XFX TS Series 550W PSU

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Appreciate the rec. Really trying to repair this thing tomorrow as I don't have time to wait until the weekend for amazon shipping.

Haven't researched PSU's in quite some time. Any other brands that are all around "good"? Antec, Corsair, etc... Just asking because I can get those at Fry's tomorrow.

Mostly it's just certain models that you want to look at, but all of seasonic seems to be good.

Haven't researched PSU's in quite some time. Any other brands that are all around "good"? Antec, Corsair, etc... Just asking because I can get those at Fry's tomorrow.
With PSUs these days, you judge them based on model not brand as many PSU brands, including Antec and Corsair, these days have both utterly fantastic PSUs and utterly pieces of shit PSU models in their lineup. So just because Antec model A is good doesn't mean Antec model C will be good automatically.

Between those two, go for the Antec HCG-620M. Good quality PSU.

Side note: Situations like yours is one of the reasons why I spring for Amazon Prime. ;)

Yes: That's a piece of shit PSU. Even if you using onboard video with Celeron CPU, I still would not trust that TR2 700W PSU.

I've seen all sorts of people ragging on the TR2 line of PSUs and I can never figure out why.

I've had all sorts of different TR2 models in service for years and never had a problem. I currently have a pile of 420s, several 600s and one 850 (in this rig I'm typing on) which have been in continual service with no issues.

I can't say that about Antec though. Every Antec PSU I've ever had blew up usually within a year due to the "silent fan" feature cooking the thing or shitty Fuhjyyu, teapo-cheapo, OST or other garbage Taiwanese caps failing.

I've seen all sorts of people ragging on the TR2 line of PSUs and I can never figure out why.

I've had all sorts of different TR2 models in service for years and never had a problem. I currently have a pile of 420s, several 600s and one 850 (in this rig I'm typing on) which have been in continual service with no issues.

I can't say that about Antec though. Every Antec PSU I've ever had blew up usually within a year due to the "silent fan" feature cooking the thing or shitty Fuhjyyu, teapo-cheapo, OST or other garbage Taiwanese caps failing.

Probably because those PSUs were never run under load. Even crap PSUs tend to last a while if you don't put a load on them.

However, when you do put a load on them, they can shut off due to not being able to supply enough power. Even if they can provide the power, it is likely dirty power that will kill your components quicker.

Considering that you're buying cheap TR2 PSUs in the first place, I'm willing to bet that you're also buying cheap-o Antec PSUs as well. Antec does have a quite a few crappy shitty PSUs in their lineup as well. Almost all PSU manufacturers have shitty power supplies in their lineup. Not to mention that since you mentioned Fuhjyyu, that hasn't shown up in newer Antec PSUs since 2006 to 2007. So I'm guessing there's a chance that you haven't used newer Antec PSUs or at least higher-end Antec PSUs.

So just because a bunch of Antec PSUs died on you doesn't actually make Thermaltake look better with their TR2 PSUs. Shit is shit whether it's watery, in little pieces, or one solid piece. It's still shit. Same applies to TR2 PSUs: They're still shit at the end of the day.

Great for you that they work well due to your more than likely limited load. But for those of us who aren't quite as much of a risktaker as you are, we're going to keep recommending better quality PSUs instead.

Great for you that they work well due to your more than likely limited load. But for those of us who aren't quite as much of a risktaker as you are, we're going to keep recommending better quality PSUs instead.

Why would I get an 850W unit if I never use it? lol

Before I had it in this rig, it was in a Xeon server where the CPUs alone pulled 300W, plus the 7 x 15k SCSI drives pulling an additional ~250W. The motherboard chipset and RAM were also pretty power hungry, as well as the 3 PCI-X cards. On a kill-a-watt, the server was pulling 800W from the wall, which is about 640W draw from the unit.

So it stood up to a 75% load in 24/7 use for about 2 years in the server.

The current rig it's in has an overclocked i5-2400 with an R9 280x, which is about 450W under peak load. Plus 4 SATA drives, two optical drives and a couple of PCI cards. I haven't run a kill-a-watt on this machine but under peak load it's going to be somewhere in the same range as the server.

And it's been in this rig for about 4 years now. So that's 6 years of pretty decent utilization and stuff still chugs along.

As for the lesser wattage 420s, they're under nominal loads as well from discrete video cards and usually a couple of drives. Again, no problems with any of them.

Not to mention that since you mentioned Fuhjyyu, that hasn't shown up in newer Antec PSUs since 2006 to 2007. So I'm guessing there's a chance that you haven't used newer Antec PSUs or at least

Nope, they still use them. Within this last year I've recapped one of each of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82842307
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82842561
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

They all had a mix of Teapo-cheapo, Fuhjyyu and OST caps. People don't think they use Fuhjyyu anymore because they use Teapo and OST for the output caps and Fuhjyyu are the tiny caps used for filtering on the support chips. The caps are so small that they usually omit the text and just leave their logo on, which looks like the logo on their larger caps:
http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/images/LH-b.jpg

They're also usually wedged in hard to see places, like on daughterboards or between transformers and the mosfets.

Last edited:
Why would I get an 850W unit if I never use it? lol

Before I had it in this rig, it was in a Xeon server where the CPUs alone pulled 300W, plus the 7 x 15k SCSI drives pulling an additional ~250W. The motherboard chipset and RAM were also pretty power hungry, as well as the 3 PCI-X cards. On a kill-a-watt, the server was pulling 800W from the wall, which is about 640W draw from the unit.

So it stood up to a 75% load in 24/7 use for about 2 years in the server.

The current rig it's in has an overclocked i5-2400 with an R9 280x, which is about 450W under peak load. Plus 4 SATA drives, two optical drives and a couple of PCI cards. I haven't run a kill-a-watt on this machine but under peak load it's going to be somewhere in the same range as the server.

And it's been in this rig for about 4 years now. So that's 6 years of pretty decent utilization and stuff still chugs along.

As for the lesser wattage 420s, they're under nominal loads as well from discrete video cards and usually a couple of drives. Again, no problems with any of them.
Again, great for you. But again, I'm not a risktaker and considering that there haven't been a single proper PSU review of the TR2 series showing good performance, I'm erring on the side of caution and not recommending them.

Nope, they still use them. Within this last year I've recapped one of each of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82842307
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N82842561
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

They all had a mix of Teapo-cheapo, Fuhjyyu and OST caps. People don't think they use Fuhjyyu anymore because they use Teapo and OST for the output caps and Fuhjyyu are the tiny caps used for filtering on the support chips. The caps are so small that they usually omit the text and just leave their logo on, which looks like the logo on their larger caps:
http://www.fuhjyyu.com.tw/images/LH-b.jpg

They're also usually wedged in hard to see places, like on daughterboards or between transformers and the mosfets.
I'll take your word for it then.

Yeah, until I see a TR2 blow up, I'll keep using them; Especially since I can get them from recycling centers for $10 or less.

I won't buy an Antec PSU though, and haven't since 2004ish. The only reason I have a pile of them is because people keep bringing them to me in various states of dead. Some are repairable, others aren't. I usually remove the thermistor and install a resistor to run the fan at a fixed speed since Antec made them so the fan won't kick on until a fusion reaction starts in one of the mosfets.

Here's the thing with that TR2 700W:

It is based on an updated version of an older FSP platform (in this case, the Epsilon platform that has been known to output out-of-spec ripple when pushed above 500W). As such, I'd recommend replacing it.

And the reason as to how the TR2 series PSUs have gotten their bad reputation is not because they die out or blow up per se, but because they've been known to kill other PC components even if the PSUs themselves don't blow up or die out. That is due to their generally poor DC output quality.

Back