Any reason not to get a 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't recommend the 360 enough.

From 94-2004 I was very much into PC games. I was upgrading pc's every six months, playing a lot of FPS Quake 1-3, Diablo, Battlefield 1942-2142, Warcraft 2-3, Lots of MMO's (EQ, Star Wars Galaxies, Planetside, Asheron's Call 2, World of Warcraft, Lineage 2), and then all of a sudden the 360 was released in 2005 and was offering features that were serious competition to PC.

• Friends List
  • Easy Patching System
  • No seperate server hosting fee's (except xbox live gold account)
  • Lots and lots of gamers
  • Gamerscore system
  • Controller designed for console fps's from the ground up (still not as accurate as kb/m but i'm totally used to it)

After getting a 360, I found myself less interested in sitting in front of my PC night after night.

As for the PS3. I owned a 40gb version for about 6 months, and never really got into it. As a Blu-Ray player it is excellent, but as a gaming system it is not as complete of experience as the 360. There is something about xbox live that makes you feel like you are in a community of gamers. Much like an MMO, I log in play my games and I see everyone of my friends online. I can check out what games they are playing, invite them to parties etc.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

As an owner of all three consoles, I highly recommend the 360. My PS3 would collect dust if it wasn't for blu-ray movies. Xbox live is often on sale at retail stores and online, you can get at for 30 bucks sometimes.

It's a console.

*runs and hides*

I understand this is mainly a pc forum, but why do you have to post something that has nothing to deal with the post...please keep it on track.. I again went from hard core pc gaming for many many years and once I got an xbox I never looked back..

If you don't want to have fun, don't get a 360 because its fun and that would ruin the non-funness you want to have.

buy it, its fun, has allot of games and i think most the bugs have been fixed.

i personally use my ps3 more, but to the average buyer i cant recommend it for the price, amazing machine, but if you just want to game and don't care for all the bells and whistles, get a 360.

either or, they are both great gaming machines, i would say try them out at those preview setups that game stores usually have, see what appeals to you more.

I used to be a hardcore PC guy as well and thought consoles where not all that fun ..but after getting my 360 and actually playing it ..single player and online .. I rarely game on my PC anymore ..just the occasionaly TF2 map here and there.

to bad xboxlive isn't free tho :mad::p

I've also gone from hardcore pc gaming to Xbox 360 and never looked back, i know people worry about the quality of the actual console to be honest the periferals like the controllers and wireless headsets etc are great (in my personal experience with them) but the console itself is not built that great, however i am not worried as i have two and if one breaks i send it off and if it's out of warranty i spend $299aus and go buy a brand spanking new arcade with latest revision chipset ;)

Say if i had to buy a new console once a year it still works out to be a hell of a lot cheaper than pc gaming even with paying for live on top of that ;)

Btw i have not pressed the powerbutton on my quadcore rig in weeks, it's been all xbox and thinkpad T40 for me :D it's bought back my chidhood memories of my sega master system :)

I too went from pc gaming (WoW) to console and its pretty nice and a lot more casual :).

• xbox live (30 euros for 13 months isnt that expensive)
  • the controller
  • the support
  • the community
  • the exclusives
  • the games in general

I've had my xbox 360 since launch and had to send it to xbox a few months ago due RROD. But the support you get is above average. 1 week later I had my 360 back with 1 month free xbl gold :).

Don't get me wrong, the ps3 is nice, but for gaming I find the xbox best hands down. As a media center the ps3 is king imo.

Even with only Fallout 3 (beat once) and mass effect (just started) besides the games that came with my 360 I'd say it's worth it. I've easily played 4-5 demos of games that I would buy if I had the time to play them. Plus most of my xbox games still work, too. (no advent rising = booooo!)

Don't get a 360 if..

1. You're a diehard pc gamer...you may find yourself neglecting your desktop pc. Since I got my 360 I have only cracked my case open twice in nearly 3 years...and that was for an air dusting. I don't think my X2 4400+ and 7900GT would cut it for recent games...but I don't know.

2. You get addicted to gaming and neglect everything else...but that applies for pc gaming/other consoles as well

Basically, a 360 was my first console since a Dreamcast I bought back in 2K.....I got it about 4 months after launch and have been happily gaming ever since. Just over a year ago I got a PS3 80GB...a wonderful machine in its own right, but not as many games and I find myself buying multi-platform games for the 360 because I like the controller better and more often than not it is the superior version. The PS3 is a slickly done piece of hardware, but there are built in hardware limitations (gaming wise, everything else is top notch) that will always keep the 360 as the better pure gaming machine.

I've also gone from hardcore pc gaming to Xbox 360 and never looked back, i know people worry about the quality of the actual console to be honest the periferals like the controllers and wireless headsets etc are great (in my personal experience with them) but the console itself is not built that great, however i am not worried as i have two and if one breaks i send it off and if it's out of warranty i spend $299aus and go buy a brand spanking new arcade with latest revision chipset ;)

Say if i had to buy a new console once a year it still works out to be a hell of a lot cheaper than pc gaming even with paying for live on top of that ;)

Btw i have not pressed the powerbutton on my quadcore rig in weeks, it's been all xbox and thinkpad T40 for me :D it's bought back my chidhood memories of my sega master system :)

Z0WPL1J0CC3W47

New dell coupon code. Go buy one now!

Bought one earlier today with that. $399 - $80 + tax + free shipping = $345 in CA for the elite.

Wasn't planning on buying a new one after MS fixed my 360 (first RRoD in 2 years and well over 1000 hours of usage). But my system has been at my nephew's house these last few months and I need a new 360.

Of the current systems, the 360 is by far the best IMO. Most games are available for both the PS3 and 360, so the exclusives are what really make the system. The 360 has more in the way of good exclusives. I have yet to be impressed by the PS3 game library, it seems extremely lacking. The Wii is definitely another option but I think if you're just going to get one system the 360 is the best option.

xbox is a good buy for everyone even the jrpg fans like myself.

It has everything you could want unless you are dieing for something like msg4 or other PS3 exclusives.

I was waiting for the PS3 to start pooping out some good jrpg's.......but 2 years now and they still have little to nothing and once Star Ocean 4 became an xbox exclusive I gave up on the idea of getting a PS3 for now. By the time some good Atlus games start coming out the Ps3 will be like 150 bucks.

"The latest issue of Japanese gaming mag Dengeki has unveiled a new Japanese RPG, exclusive to the PS3. Called Atelier Rorona, it's the first next gen entry into the popular Atelier franchise. While details on the title are slim at the moment, it retains the franchise's emphasis on crafting and synthesizing.

More details are set to come out later this month on March 27, again in the Dengeki PlayStation magazine.

This opens an interesting question as to whether Rorona developer Gust's other popular RPG franchises, Ar Tonelico and Mana Khala, will also be headed to the PS3 shortly."

http://www.ps3center.net/news/2450/new-ps3-exclusive-jrpg-atelier-rorona-announced/

"The latest issue of Japanese gaming mag Dengeki has unveiled a new Japanese RPG, exclusive to the PS3. Called Atelier Rorona, it's the first next gen entry into the popular Atelier franchise. While details on the title are slim at the moment, it retains the franchise's emphasis on crafting and synthesizing.

More details are set to come out later this month on March 27, again in the Dengeki PlayStation magazine.

This opens an interesting question as to whether Rorona developer Gust's other popular RPG franchises, Ar Tonelico and Mana Khala, will also be headed to the PS3 shortly."

http://www.ps3center.net/news/2450/new-ps3-exclusive-jrpg-atelier-rorona-announced/

I am sure they will but by the time a hand full of them reach the US the PS3 could see 2 price drops by then. Localization can take forever and some games don't even make it to the states.

If you like stats, here's mine for the last year over at NeoGAF's dead 360 thread. (Other Red Light = E74 and others like it)

Code:
[B]Last 12 Months[/B]		
RRoD		382	69.08%
Drive		57	10.31%
Other Red Light	42	7.59%
Video		39	7.05%
Freezing	21	3.80%
Multiple	7	1.27%
PSU		3	0.54%
Noisy		2	0.36%

Original	373	
Refurb		180	

[B]Last 6 Months[/B]		
RRoD		204	70.10%
Other Red Light	26	8.93%
Drive		25	8.59%
Video		19	6.53%
Freezing	12	4.12%
Multiple	4	1.37%
PSU		1	0.34%
Noisy		0	0.00%

Original	190	
Refurb		101	

[B]Last 3 Months[/B]		
RRoD		95	70.90%
Other Red Light	8	5.97%
Drive		15	11.19%
Video		10	7.46%
Freezing	3	2.24%
Multiple	3	2.24%
PSU		0	0.00%
Noisy		0	0.00%

Original	90	
Refurb		44

I have 3 360's with zero issues, one of which is a 20 GB launch.

I would say get it, it's a great console, and has a ton of fun games.

any reason that you should not get a 360? No not at all as most of the consoles will be jaspers pretty soon

big pluses for the system

1. XBL
2. Arcade
3. NetFlix
4. Sheer amt of game content

HD-DVD movies are a dime a dozen and the drives are under $60 so that is a bonus

Z0WPL1J0CC3W47

New dell coupon code. Go buy one now!

Dell just extended this 20% off coupon to April 29. I used it to get a 60 GB pro last week, which arrived at my house yesterday. It was manufactured 9/30/08, so it should be the version with the jasper. Good stuff.

I have three 360's in my house and have only had a problem with the original one I purchased at launch.

Thinking of getting a new 360 pro bundle. Don't currently own any of the current gen consoles. Anything coming down the pipe that one should wait for?

It's noisy
It'll scratch your discs
You will pay $50 per year to play online on it
It's as reliable as Deathstar ibm desktop drives :D

If this doesn't scare you go for it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back