Any point in having 32GB of RAM right now?

Syphon Filter

2[H]4U
Hi Guys,

Current spec is in my sig, 16GB of CL11 RAM. There's a good deal on RAM at the moment with another 16GB for £90.

Is there any need for a total of 32GB at this stage?

For general use and even gaming I rarely see my usage go over 8-10 GB.

Is there any need for a total of 32GB at this stage?

Only if you're looking to run virtual machines and/or RAMDisks. There is no other practical application for that much RAM that you wouldn't already be aware of if you really needed that much RAM in a single machine. Save the cash! :)

unpopulated slots on your motherboard are wasted slots! Max out that ram! This is [H]ardforum! Either go overboard or go home! No such thing as too much memory / CPU processing capacity / fast enough SSD's / high end GPUs!

(16GB should be fine, but......)

If you are into virtualization (e.g. Virtualbox) or do video editing. Maybe. Otherwise, if you already have 16GB, you should be sufficient. Also, there is a 16GB limit if you have Windows 7 Home Premium.

My chrome uses roughly 16gb on its own, but I have hundreds of tabs open.

32GB is the sweet spot for me right now. VM open, Photoshop, 20-30 Chrome tabs I usually average around 22GB usage. That gives me enough room so things don't start swapping when launching a demanding game.

For general use and even gaming I rarely see my usage go over 8-10 GB.

Same here, 16Gig of ram and i'm only using 11.8Gig w/ a browser, Minecraft (4gig max allocated, using ~5.8Gig according to task manager) and a Windows VM running. (yes the desktop runs win as well, wanted some isolation for something)

You need it for browsing with chrome :D

Or Firefox. Browsers use extreme amounts of memory when you have a lot of tabs open at once.

32GB is nice to have, but only a necessity if you are doing a lot of virtualization, ramdisk caching, or using some A/V editors, as previous posters have mentioned. I sometimes see 8 - 10 GB usage, but unless I start powering on an entire virtual sandbox, I never go over that amount.

Or Firefox. Browsers use extreme amounts of memory when you have a lot of tabs open at once.

In Firefox's case, the pig memory usage is from all of the memory leaks. Firefox has crazy amounts of memory leaks, it's baffling that FF has been out for 12 years and it still suffers from such things.

I have win 7 ult 64 bit with 16 gb and i think the only game that need alot of ram is crysis but i only play Lol and neverwinter online..so totaly overkill with 16 gb atm

I used to be one to build a beefcake rig then discovered I could put that shit on a dedicated box :p

With a boatload of RAM, you can disable the swap file and run a RAMdisk. Pure awesomeness.

And Windows caches all the the things as well. its cool with I transfer a file from a single HDD to my array and it goes at 500MB/s.

at 64GB Adobe suite and rendering while gaming in the back ground with the normal day to day stuff open (firefox/chrome, mail etc) I reguarlly got to 64GB.

Unless you are doing something along those lines 16GB is enough for a long while. I wouldn't suggest disabling your swap.. just set it to like 2GB or something small if you never/rarely use it.. some apps do require it though they are few.

Back