Any pico-itx boards with PCIE 4x or 8x?

ghouck

n00b
I'm looking for a pico-itx board to base a small server on. My only hangup is finding a board that will support a PCIe raid card with 8 ports. Perhaps I'm not reading the specs right, but I've yet to see one with anything more than 1x pcie. Can someone please point me to one. Thanks, Greg.

Pico-ITX is too small for PCIe slots. The best you'll get are mini PCIe slots.

You can get an adapter from BPlus that allows you to convert the M.2 slot on an Intel NuC board to a x4 PCIe slot. I don't know if this would meet your needs, but worth looking into. There was a buildlog on here a couple months ago that outlined how this worked.

Thanks. It looks like I wouldn't even need an adapter if my card was pcie 4x, correct?

Edit: I see it. I was looking at the 4x - 16x adapter. Would that adapter work with any M.2 slot 3?

Thanks. It looks like I wouldn't even need an adapter if my card was pcie 4x, correct?

Edit: I see it. I was looking at the 4x - 16x adapter. Would that adapter work with any M.2 slot 3?

A 4x to 16x will only increase the physical size of the port, not the number of lanes.
And no, it doesn't work with any M.2 slot. First, it has to be M.2 Key M, not Key B or anything else. Then it also has to be wired to 4 PCIe lanes electrically, something which most M.2 slots aren't. If you find a card that only uses one lane, then you're safe, but if it needs four, you have to make sure that the M.2 slot is fully wired.

Thanks. That makes it more clear. I'm also looking at a 3.5" sbc that lists "1x PCIe x4 slot (w/ 4x PCIe x1 speed)". is that also what you are referring to as a 4x slot with only one lane? Thanks, Greg.

Back