Any PC Gaming Codes you Live By ?

Simmonz

2[H]4U
Any moral codes you guys follow in PC Gaming ? For instance if a publisher doesn't release a demo for the PC version then I refuse to pay more than $20 for the game. I also refuse to pay the same or more for a digital copy of a game as I would a physical copy.

I refuse to buy a game at full price when it requires an internet connection to play single player content. For a time I refused to buy them period but then I couldn't pass up AC2 for $10. D3 might be an exception to the rule for me if community feedback is positive.

Oh, and I refuse to use Origin :p.

I refuse to buy a game at full price when it requires an internet connection to play single player content. For a time I refused to buy them period but then I couldn't pass up AC2 for $10. D3 might be an exception to the rule for me if community feedback is positive.

Oh, and I refuse to use Origin :p.
Yeah I refused to buy the always online games for a while. I bought AC2 for $10 and was given Splinter Cell Conviction by a friend. I doubt I would buy another.

Don't give a fuck as along as the game looks like fun and will give me enough entertainment.

I don't really care about any of this "YOU ARE KILLING PC GAMING BECAUSE YOU BUY CONSOLE PORTS" shit. I buy what I want, not what others want me to buy.

I still prefer a true PC game over a console port, but I buy for entertainment.

As of now Im officially off buying any games period. Bought a project car.

Code wise

I'm aware I'm 100% alone in this but I do not buy EA games, Activision, Zenimax, or 2k.

They've all offended me in some way. EA for millions of reasons, Actvision for their treatment of COD and the original IW studio, Zenimax/bethesda for the scrolls bullshit, treatment of Obsidian and I generally think the ES series is going downhill, 2k for Bioshock 2 - Unforgivable.

I'm sure the response is "hu hu goodluck finding a game to play" - to that I say fuck you the last 5 games I bought were indie and frankly the above are on a sinking ship and they fucking know it.

Don't give a fuck as along as the game looks like fun and will give me enough entertainment.

I don't really care about any of this "YOU ARE KILLING PC GAMING BECAUSE YOU BUY CONSOLE PORTS" shit. I buy what I want, not what others want me to buy.

Well said. But in my case "I buy what I want" also extends to how well a company treats their customers. Always-on DRM gets a big "bullshit" from me since our ISP loves to screw up the internet connection often enough for it to be a problem (and no, there are no alternatives in the area).

You won't hear any argument from me. In some ways I wish I could just buy games without running them through my checklist but I am happy with my methods.

I do try to buy PC Exclusives first though, the publisher has taken the risk to focus on the PC version and only the PC version so I try to make sure they see some return even if I am only one sale.

I vote with my wallet but I don't like to miss out on games so I set a price that I'm willing to pay for a game and wait for it to reach that point. I start by looking at my general interest in the game as well as the length and replayability to figure out the base price I'm willing to pay and then I modify that based on what type of DRM it has, whether it's a bad port, and how the developer/publisher has treated it's customers in the past. For instance any game that requires Steam is only worth half of the base price since I don't really "own" it, less restrictive but still intrusive DRM might only drop the base price by a few dollars while more restrictive DRM might drop the base price to the price of a rental(<$10).

I never buy a game on first day or first week and depending on what happens with any particular game often not till after the first month.

Case in point the mess there is with D3 right now. Dont mind problems but wow..

That's basically how I feel. The only stance I mostly take is "no always-on DRM". Though it's mostly "no Ubisoft" really since they seem to have nothing but contempt for PC gamers.

My code is used or heavily discounted (aka steam holiday sales).

PC games come down in price anyways and my backlog is really too big to be buying "NEW" games :)

Personally I haven't seen anything tickle my fancy in awhile. The last PC games I bought were DNF ($7.50). Alice 2 ($7.50). Batman AC ($30, but did buy new on PS3 for $60 that came with $30 dollars off another game) around December.

It helps that I don't care if I'm on the cutting edge of technology :)

I purchase a game if looks like it's worth purchasing. If I feel it's worthy of buying at launch I do so, otherwise I wait for it to go on sale. I don't really get to worked up about it.

No Ubisoft and always wait for community feedback for PC games. On consoles, Ubisoft only when bought used (and there isnt some required online pass) and highly acclaimed console exclusives from other devs (new or used). Those I always follow, I also have a guideline of $30-$20-$10 (for the first six months after release try to by at or under $30, 6 months to a year at/under $20, year old games $10 or less)

I really hate Ubisoft.

I don't have any hard and fast rules, but I always set a price threshold on a game that it has to hit before I'll buy it. So, for example, I really wanted saints row three, but I wouldnt buy it until it hit $20, and for skyrim it was $30.

I always try to support the pc exclusive devs, as well as releases like the upcoming dark souls pc port, since they are listening to their fans. Unless of course they do something fucking stupid like requiring always online DRM...I'm looking at you blizzard.

I erred when I bought D3(all my friends are playing it), but I don't buy games that are always online, and not MMORPGs, or FPS(aka counterstrike).

Right now I apply the following.

• No draconian DRM - The only exception is digital distribution services I've decided to use, I accept that digital distribution requires some inherent protection and find the use of steam acceptable, otherwise always on DRM is no sale.
  • No bloatware - No GFWL or social clubs or anything like that, if I'm required to install some 3rd party rubbish on my PC to get the game working when it's simply not necessary then no sale.
  • Preferred methods of distribution - Either the game is released in a box that works stand alone or through steam as my preferred digital distribution method, if it's locked to origin or any other service that I don't want installed then no sale.

Basically no BF3 because it's tied to origin, no Diablo 3 because it's tied to battlenet, no Assassins creed or other Ubisoft rubbish because of its always on DRM.

The only recent game I actually regret not being able to buy is Batman Arkham City, if that didn't use GFWL i'd be all over it, but I don't want GFWL installed on my PC nor do I want to be reliant on logging in to their shitty service, so no sale.

Don't listen to fanboys/ pc gaming divas/ boycotters/ or anyone who feels a strong need to push their opinions on you about pc games.

BF3 has put me off modern gaming. I got it for free as a Christmas present, the boxed copy.
I hate how I have to jump through hoops to get it to play, and since I have just re-installed Windows 7, I just can't face the hours of downloading Origin then all the updates it goes through before I spend another 3 hours installing BF3 and its updates.

I can't much see the point of the BF3 disc since all the content seems to be downloaded.
So I won't be installing it..........installing Windows, its never ending updates, some software, and a selection of games to keep me amused, takes long enough without the hassle of installing BF3.
I won't miss it, as I am currently happily playing CoH again after not using it for a couple of years.

I have a fair stock of older games like the UT series C&C series, Crysis series and BF1942/2/2142 plus the mods for them like Desert Combat, AIX2, Mercenaries etc....all free off the internet.
Plus, they don't demand that I have to be connected to the internet, so I can happily play against the computer with its bots.

If I want to play online, then there is BF2142, but I still have the option of single player if I want, and it doesn't care if my internet is working or not.

So my code is, no more new games for me as I can get plenty of enjoyment with the ones I have, as I hate not being in control of the game, and not being able to play if the internet has gone off.
Sorry if this upsets the BF3 fans, but it causes me too much grief installing it to be worth the time and effort.:D

I'll only play full price for a game that I know I'll play more than once, or at least get 100 hours of gameplay or more... Skyrim, BF3, and Diablo 3 are such game

Other games will have to wait till 75% off if I'm only going to play once :p

Rule no 1: Buy and Enjoy

Rule no 2: Be prepared for the feeling that you'll have wasted $60 (...or DKK 400 in my case)

Rule no 3: Past track record is no guarantee for anything

Yep, I live by 2 simple rules.

1) Buy games I want to play.

2) Don't buy games I don't want to play.

It has served me well ;)

Granted things like absurd DRM will reduce my desire to play, but I don't consider that as part of any "code" or "rule", just a simple fact of it reduces the value of a game to me, so I'm less inclined to buy it.

none of my money goes to developers who can't be arsed to program in 3d properly. it's recent, but I abide to it 100%. if you can't make your game render correctly in 3d, stick to 2d games. on the other hand, I buy on sight, regardless if the game is even good or not, titles that look good in 3d. I'll get them for cheap, but still.

If a full priced game comes with day-one paid DLC, I will wait until the game is available for a discount at greater than the price of the DLC. I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3. I'm figuring $30 will be a good price.

I don't buy games at release for $60 - that's too much money for a leap of faith that it will be good. If reviews are bad, then that means I won't end up getting it at all. (sorry ME3)

I don't buy games with DRM that interferes with gameplay. (sorry Ubisoft, Diablo 3)

I don't buy games that are Origin only. (sorry BF3, ME3)

I don't pre-order unless it is discounted.

I don't buy games at release for $60 - that's too much money for a leap of faith that it will be good.

I don't pre-order unless it is discounted.

This is beautiful. Took the words right out of my mouth. Save about $200 in releases by using those two rules in the last few years -- 4 games or so that I simply didn't buy. D3 might be next (yay $260!).

My only code for all gaming platforms is...

..Buy games I want to play, I don't care about silly politics, the publishers, DRM, anything. I care about having fun and escaping reality little bits at a time.

1 Never buy ubi soft again.
2 Only buy digital games no more hard coppies unless its a CE for an mmo.
3 I now officialy hate id soft after they released rage.

I'll NEVER buy UbiSoft or EA/Origin titles again (or any other 'always online' DRM scheme). I will also never support a company that forces 'online passes' and then removes the ability to play said games within a few years (EA).

Other than those, I'm not picky. I just don't like a publishing company having me by the short hairs with something that I paid for and should be entitled to enjoy when and where I see fit. Other than those, as long as it's fun and interests me, I'll give it a try. I'm not an elitist.

Edit: and that doesn't only apply only to PC games. That's across the board.

Last edited:
My rules:

1. I don't pay full price unless its a AAA game from an established developer and I have done my research including videos, demos and reviews. Some games are day 1 purchases IE D3, Borderlands 2, GW2, etc. Other games can wait.

2. I do not spend money on microtransactions EVER.

3. I do not pay full price for any game that uses the Gamebryo engine or an "updated" version of it. This engine is old and does not deserve full price. In fact they should open source it and let schools learn how NOT to write a game engine.

4. I do not trust any reviews from IGN. They have given so many turd games a high school its criminal.

5. I do not buy games that require a monthly fee. Done with that sometime ago.

I read the title and thought that this thread was gonna be about in-game gaming codes that you have. That might be an interesting topic also. As far as buying habits go I usually get what I feel I would enjoy at a value I can live with.

"There are more good games than I have the time to play."

I don't think any game is a "must buy". If the DRM or something else pisses me off (like Origin exclusive), I have no problem finding something else to play. I enthusiastically enjoy reading people's pissed off rants about something, they buy it anyways as if a gun is held to their head, then still throw a fit.

"If it's worth the time to play, then it's worth paying for."

This one should be followed by everyone.

I don't really follow any rules except that I will not buy any Activision title again, well I did cave in and buy D3, after how they treated the original IW team.

I'm getting very close to not buying games that require an internet connection in any way outside of multi player though. Mass Effect 3 really pissed me off in this regard for two reasons. One they tied your galactic readiness into multi player, and the fact that if I don't have an active internet connection I can't access game saves that have DLC associated with them.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of trying to game on the PC in general. I love the PC, and have been a PC gamer since I was 4 (1988), but the hoops we have to jump through nowadays is just ridiculous. I'm getting sick of it. If Blizzard hadn't required an active internet connection for D3 I could've played it for more than an hour and a half yesterday. It's all almost enough for me to switch over to consoles. Granted, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence, but the game makers really are making PC gamers lives miserable.

I don't pre-order/pay full price unless I know will play the game for hundreds of hours, like Battlefield 3 and Street Fighter 4.

No VSync
If the game has horrible mouse accell then I either won't play it or I'll use a gamepad.
Form my opinions on games instead of following the droves of others.

New rules I live by.

Must not be broken:
-No CE editions
-No buying day one without personally playing in a beta and watching a weeks worth of video on a game.
-No more monthly fees for games
-No purchasing a game that offers day one DLC
-No purchasing of Ubisoft, EA Games, Activision (D3 was my last, wanted to finish the story off)
-No buying of game currency with real money

My only code for all gaming platforms is...

..Buy games I want to play, I don't care about silly politics, the publishers, DRM, anything. I care about having fun and escaping reality little bits at a time.

This. And ABACABB.

I refuse to bind myself with stupid principles.

For games I am sure about, I will buy them. For games that I am not, I generally watch a bit of it on www.twitch.tv. Seriously. This is the best thing you can do to get a taste of a game.

Back