Any other Ubiquiti Unifi fanboys here?

MinPins

Limp Gawd
I'm making some major upgrades to the network in my house.
Not just this stuff, but upgrading all of the very old cabling as well.

Unifi%20Upgrades.jpg

I don't know about fan boy, I use it at home. I have a similar setup as you, I don't use the gateway and I have the wall jack AP's with ports built in since I already had ethernet cabling to every room.

Thanks DonTC, but I think I have the cabling covered.
I'm replacing the very poor quality Cat5 that the previous owner had installed with new shielded 6A.
The cable terminations are a PITA compared to Cat5, but worth the effort.
My first couple failed, but now I have the hang of it.
My cable tester also tests for ground, I love seeing all of those LEDs when I complete a cable.
Still about 5 minutes per termination though.

cabling%206a1.jpg

cabling%206a2.jpg

I love their stuff. I installed a Unifi network in my home about a year ago and BYE BYE to any and all WIFI complaints from the wife and kiddos.

Major upgrade from Best Buy/consumer grade stuff, we use them exclusively with our business clients.

If running one gig fiber network, quality cabling is vital, we are on AT & T gigabit and any poor termination job is seen with drop in speed.

I have been running an EdgeMAX router at my office for a couple of years now, and switched both my home and office APs to Unifi. I just purchased some Unifi Protect cameras and associated equipment (Cloud Key Gen2 Plus, Nano Switch) for home and will probably replace my home and office routers (Verizon router at home, EdgeMAX EdgeRouter X at office) with Unifi Security Gateways. Great gear for a very reasonable price for what it is!

I have an almost identical setup, lol (just swap the gateway for a 1u pfsense box.

Why shielded cable? It probably isn't really necessary in a home setup, you have some MRI equipment going off in the house?

I am using an ER-X for the router, everything else is Unifi. I am running the Unifiy controller on a Synology box using Docker.

I have a 24 POE switch, 5 AC pods, hanging off a Qnap that runs the App. Going to add a 10G switch for the editing gear.

Dead easy, fast hand offs, no issues.

Why shielded cable? It probably isn't really necessary in a home setup, you have some MRI equipment going off in the house?[/QUOT

If you are into SDR as a hobby you have no idea how bad RF pollution is. I see RF noise from 100 Hz to the 2 GHz band from multiple sources. Anything from a PC monitor going to sleep mode to modern digital utility electric meters generate noise, RGB bling included.

RF Noise/Pollution doesn't automatically = use shielded instead of UTP

Giant office buildings have way more EMI than a house and I've yet to see anything but UTP in those installs (other than long fiber runs)

I mean if OP already bought the shielded cable then have at it, just seems like a lot of extra work and cost for zero real world benefit in this particular application.

I chose to install high quality 10G certified cable and terminations because I want to wire my house once and be done with it. I don't have any 10G gear yet, but I expect to in the future. The cable cost slightly more than non-shielded, but I want to do it once and never think about it again. I'm testing each cable and termination as I go as well. Overkill? Meh. Sometimes a little extra effort and cash are worth it. Just MOHO, but it's the way I prefer to do things.

I have almost everything but the security gateway. Most of their stuff is really good bang/$, no subscriptions or cloud-required bullshit if you don't want to use it that way. Their cloud login stuff is handy if you do use it, and can bolt on google 2-step auth as well.

Ubnt has a soso security/vulnerability/patching record, and some other "interesting" history, which is why I shy away from their security gateway. Probably better than stock firmware that ships on all the store brand trash, but still. UDM pro (still in beta) looks like its good enough for managing a gigabit WAN at home though, which is rare at that price range.

Wifi-related gear always gets its own segmented vlan in my book, so not that worried about their security from that perspective.

The only thing with shielded is that the cable must be grounded at the switch end properly.
Not according to research. It is still beneficial to use a shielded but not grounded cable.

Thanks for the links. I read both. The White Paper is the root of the Cabling Install article, which appears to be a DIRECT copy of the Siemon White Paper. The article did give credit to the Siemon paper, so no foul. I find the conclusions interesting, but without more to go on I have to stand by what I know right now which is that any shielded cable system should be properly grounded at the switch end. It is not that I am being stubborn, it is just one White Paper is not going to get it for me. I, for my job, have to follow and quote out ANSI/TIA specs, so that is drum I march to.
True, but is there any evidence to the contrary or is the "common wisdom" just some default parroting that few tried to challenge is what interests me.

I use the ER-X and an AP-AC-LR at home and I will never go back to consumer hardware again. I've never had my routing and wifi be this stable before. It is very pleasant to set it up once, and basically never have to touch it again unless I want to change settings or get firmware updates. It's been running for 1-2 years at this point with basically zero unnecessary reboots.

It's been running for 1-2 years at this point with basically zero unnecessary reboots.
I set up a wireless bridge with Loco M5s (IIRC) on a UPS at least 4 years ago. The users don't contact me about updates very often, so I've seen over 400 days of uptime.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Edgerouter-X-sfp using POE over 4 of the ports to power 4 UniFi AP's and a passive DAC cable connected to a Netgear 48port GS748T v4 .. it's been a great setup/overkill for my needs. It would be nice if all of Ubiquiti's stuff could be managed in the UniFi Controller software. (I have the Unifi controller running in a jail on my FreeNAS server)

Back