Any other routers that offer the Traffic Meter feature that Netgear has?

duh FooL

n00b
This feature is one that I found very useful at times.
I can specify a monthly data cap and it will kill any more traffic once reached.

I haven't found any other routers to offer it.

It's not related to bandwidth QoS, which I would say is applied at a client level.
This is for the entire group behind the router as a whole, where I can set a cap that it can't go over 900GB.

Comcast/XFinity doesn't have any actual competitor in my area, I'm stuck using their service, along with their data cap limits, unless I want to pay more.

I feel my current router is on its last legs, as there are times it stops handing out IP addresses, but existing connections are still working.
Maybe find a good deal during cyber monday.

Last edited:
Do you just ignore the Comcast data cap warnings?

When I get a 75% warning half-way through the month then it's time to start setting my streaming quality to 480p :facepalm:

Asus ones can, and also can tell you exactly how your bandwidth is being utilized.

If you get one, make sure to install Merlin-WRT.

Seems like I would need to setup a dedicate box for this.
To be honest, this is what I would do if you need it. That way you're not tied to a particular router or manufacturer for this feature.

I just gave up and pay the extra for unlimited from Comcast. Really makes the internet more useful.

I also routinely use 4-5 terabytes of data a month.

Seems like I would need to setup a dedicate box for this.

Well yes. But there are tons of options from SFF business systems, to mini PCs (I posted a deal just the other day in GenMay for a $65 obo ebay deal on a miniPC with 2 lan and 4gLTE backup), build your own or buy from them.

Your own goal is a new router as you said so IMO go beyond stock consumer space routers. Untangle is a UTM. Pfsense/OpnSense/Sensei/ZenArmor and a few others that provide software to your hardware can be customized etc for near that level. Then there is used commercial routers (palo alto etc).

This is H, I don't recommend consumer routers to anyone here.

As for Untangle, it may even be beyond what you need. Per connection monitoring, traffic type, and traffic destination monitoring. I can pull up a report to see how much Netflix is using.

At the least go Merlin.

Last edited:
Back