Any OSX admins that bind to AD?

roaf85

2[H]4U
Our old server admin left (smart as hell guy and certified up to 10.4 as ACSA) and now our servers are up in arms. I have taken the reigns to my building and I really wanted to always integrate into Active Directory.

We have an Active Directory already and I was wondering if I can just bind clients or as the old server admin claimed you have to extend the schema, which is not going to happen.

So my questions is can I just bind from Directory services (all computers on 10.5) or do I have to fight my way to try to get a schema extended for OSX computers?

Yes, you can just bind the clients to your AD, but you will have little to no management from the servers. You can still configure restrictions, etc. on each individual client.

Your best bet is to bind the clients to both a AD as well as an OD Server. In this situation the computers will authenticate against Active Directory while being managed by an Apple server.

Our old server admin left (smart as hell guy and certified up to 10.4 as ACSA) and now our servers are up in arms. I have taken the reigns to my building and I really wanted to always integrate into Active Directory.

We have an Active Directory already and I was wondering if I can just bind clients or as the old server admin claimed you have to extend the schema, which is not going to happen.

So my questions is can I just bind from Directory services (all computers on 10.5) or do I have to fight my way to try to get a schema extended for OSX computers?

Hi Roaf, you might want to head over to forums.macrumors.com I think they might be able to help you out a bit better than the folks here.

Any way to set up a VMware Windows 2008 set up on my OSX server and run Active Directory from that point for the WIndows Machines?

I have VMWare Fusion but I am not sure if it would work unless I left a user logged in all the time.

I suppose I could do this.

Yes we look after a few macs for an education client. Use AdmitMac for AD authentication. Works very well indeed.:p

Yes we look after a few macs for an education client. Use AdmitMac for AD authentication. Works very well indeed.:p

What I meant by the last post is running a virtual WIndows Server 2008 on OSX Server 10.5.

I know I can use Fusion, but if you log out the client it is going to shut down the VMware application.

Any way around this?

Back