Any one port wireless access points exist?

Punkrulz

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something that I can plugin to my Linksys BEFSR41 Wired router. I recently obtained a laptop from my work that has wireless capabilities, and what I want to do is possibly have something that I can set on top of my existing router that maybe plugs into one of the ports with a wire. The router sends the connect to the WAP and the WAP sends the info to the laptop.

Everything I'm finding is either a full wireless router, or like a 4 port switch with wireless or something... doesn't something out there exist for what I'm looking for? Cause linksys doesn't have it... :/

Thanks

They do but they will probably cost more than a SOHO router.

Just get a router and disable routing and DHCP.

Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124012

Punkrulz said:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something that I can plugin to my Linksys BEFSR41 Wired router. I recently obtained a laptop from my work that has wireless capabilities, and what I want to do is possibly have something that I can set on top of my existing router that maybe plugs into one of the ports with a wire. The router sends the connect to the WAP and the WAP sends the info to the laptop.

Everything I'm finding is either a full wireless router, or like a 4 port switch with wireless or something... doesn't something out there exist for what I'm looking for? Cause linksys doesn't have it... :/

Thanks

Pretty much ALL AP's are one port devices. However, I second the recommendation for just getting a Router/AP combo and only using it as an AP as it will give you the extra hardware (switch) and cost less than a dedicated AP.

ktwebb said:
Pretty much ALL AP's are one port devices. However, I second the recommendation for just getting a Router/AP combo and only using it as an AP as it will give you the extra hardware (switch) and cost less than a dedicated AP.

THis is what I am doing with my wireless. Just get a wireless router, and run it as an AP. It's really easy.

The d-link 820 DOES convert ethernet to wireless though... so it is 'somewhat' of a one-port wireless AP.

QJ

Edited for stupidity.... :rolleyes:

We use about 12 of these (The WAP54G) -- they're slightly annoying only cause of the setup (requiring to be on the same network and all at first, etc) but they work well.

The one port QJ's referring to connects the AP to the rest of the network (And not just for configuration! :).

Well yeah, that box will work. I was just kind of hoping that I could find something that's smaller, just a dedicated wireless AP, nothing that big... I guess my expectations were different thinking that what I wanted wasn't such a hard thing, but I guess they haven't been created yet?

I don't want to spend $100 on another wireless router that I am only going to be using one computer for... then again the wireless AP is not much cheaper by comparison, so I don't know...

Oh well, thanks guys!

Back