Any one looked at Chia yet?

this, I'm at 35 plots and hitting a ceiling on plot time v. Estimated time to win. I have some spare hardware sitting around and just using regular HDD's to plot, which isn't that much slower than my M2 drive, M2 Drive plotted 14 over the weekend regular HDD did 9.

I'll fill the 8TB of space I have for it and call it a day, either something happens or doesn't. Not putting actual cash into this.
The way network space is growing is insane. The number I saw yesterday was 72% increase per day. There is no way a normal person can keep up with this.

I'm thinking of just setting it up in a docker on my Synology and treating it more like a lottery. It shouldn't cost me much to run it.

I'm thinking of just setting it up in a docker on my Synology and treating it more like a lottery. It shouldn't cost me much to run it.
I use my synology for it, that and a 2TB drive in my PC that I don't use.

Used to use it as a plex but haven't for 5 years now, might as well repurpose it into something.

For solo mining, you're chasing a departed train you'll never catch. The better play is either selling plots or selling your harddisks while price is inflated. I bought a bunch of 14TB drives for $160 right before the Chia crunch happened, intending to migrate and swap out all my 10TB drives, so now I'll prob just sell one or the other set of drives since the resale delta will far exceed any mining reward.

In general there are just too many things wrong with Chia to devote serious resources and expense to, IMO. Where it's based, who's behind it, the absurd pre-mine, the list goes on.

Last edited:
Once pools come out join one and let it trickle in.

I guess you can pool mine with hpool. Essentially you just plot for them. I don't know if I trust some website that I have to keep changing to English from Chinese.

I guess you can pool mine with hpool. Essentially you just plot for them. I don't know if I trust some website that I have to keep changing to English from Chinese.
Hpool is a scam. Don't farm on someone else's keys and don't give your keys to someone else. Numerous people have been banned for no reason with no recourse. Stay far away.

I purchased a pair of 12 TBs and an 18TB just as the crush was starting. In fact two sellers reneged as the prices jumped.

Problem I have is I cannot plot fast enough. I am using windows 10 and a 9900k with 48gb ram, and I crash plots almost 40% of the time.

I started before chia hit 2EB. Now it's over 6.5EB. Is it going to worth chewing up my 4tb nvme?

I purchased a pair of 12 TBs and an 18TB just as the crush was starting. In fact two sellers reneged as the prices jumped.

Problem I have is I cannot plot fast enough. I am using windows 10 and a 9900k with 48gb ram, and I crash plots almost 40% of the time.

I started before chia hit 2EB. Now it's over 6.5EB. Is it going to worth chewing up my 4tb nvme?

I'm starting to think that it isn't worth it. Even with 60TB after you're plotted, you're going to fall behind in raw space. You're essentially buying a $2000 lottery ticket with the drives to win $2000 of XCH.

I have 4TB plotted and that's all I'm doing. I'll let it run in the background and maybe get lucky, but I'm not thrashing my SSD for essentially no chance at winning anything.

I'm starting to think that it isn't worth it. Even with 60TB after you're plotted, you're going to fall behind in raw space. You're essentially buying a $2000 lottery ticket with the drives to win $2000 of XCH.

I have 4TB plotted and that's all I'm doing. I'll let it run in the background and maybe get lucky, but I'm not thrashing my SSD for essentially no chance at winning anything.

I bought an old HP z640 workstation with a 14 core Xeon CPU to run the plotting in Linux (hoping that I can move the disks over without losing the plots and thinking that at least I can use it to replace my office server in the future.)

Yeah... I got into this too late.

Is it just me or is the software buggy with syncing? I had a power failure on the computer that runs the chia client after tripping a breaker. Now I have to restart the program multiple times before it will start to sync.

Is it just me or is the software buggy with syncing? I had a power failure on the computer that runs the chia client after tripping a breaker. Now I have to restart the program multiple times before it will start to sync.
Lots of people report that but I've never had an issue. 1.1.6 should fix that and is available now.

Lots of people report that but I've never had an issue. 1.1.6 should fix that and is available now.

How do you update? Just download the newer version and install over the old one or is there a way through the client?

Ok... stupid question here. Can hybrid drive be used in place of ssds for temp drives? Speed vs cost benefit.

Ok... stupid question here. Can hybrid drive be used in place of ssds for temp drives? Speed vs cost benefit.

It shouldn't make a difference for farming. For plotting, I would think it would be slower. The hybrid model is built on putting recently used data on the SSD portion for faster retrieval. I don't think plotting would benefit from that model.

You'd see a MUCH bigger difference running linux instead of using an sshd. linux will automatically do write-back and read caching with your excess ram which will perform much better then whatever limited amount of flash they put on the hard drive.

You'd see a MUCH bigger difference running linux instead of using an sshd. linux will automatically do write-back and read caching with your excess ram which will perform much better then whatever limited amount of flash they put on the hard drive.
I saw this as a less expensive replacement for ssds
Chia is a bit of a pain to set up on linux, and I already have it started on windows with two machines.... Oddly I entered the same account on the separate machine but they do not see eachothers farms

I saw this as a less expensive replacement for ssds
Chia is a bit of a pain to set up on linux, and I already have it started on windows with two machines.... Oddly I entered the same account on the separate machine but they do not see eachothers farms

it is my understanding that you want to run only one node per external IP address and have that node talk to the individual harvesters.

That said I did finally get a block yesterday morning with 348 plots so far.

it is my understanding that you want to run only one node per external IP address and have that node talk to the individual harvesters.

That said I did finally get a block yesterday morning with 348 plots so far.
Congrats on the the block.

From what I see on Reddit, I came in a little too late and a lot to slow.
I started at the beginning of the month and have had too many lock ups trying to maximize my farm. Simple to say, May 1st, chia is seeing its first EiB. Now, it is screaming toward 11EiB. Even if I have my 50 TB up and running, I would be lucky if I ever saw a Chia.
Pigheadedness is keeping me in when I should fold.

Trying to see if I can move my drive plots from my window box to a linux....

Chia really wasn't an issue to get setup on linux IMO. I'm running it through SSH so no GUI. Just follow their command line guide and use '-h' for everything. Everything is documented with '-h' so it's pretty easy to figure it out.

For what it's worth, I was keeping my estimated time to win consistent with ~30 plots per day so I imagine if you want to actually see the time go down you'd need to be doing more than that. I've plotted ~72TB and could do another 10TB or so if I wanted to max out my NAS but at this point I'm going to keep it as swing space for when pooling comes out. I think I'm going to do K33s for pools. When I first started there was a mad rush to get as many plots out as quickly as possible. With how fast Chia grew I feel like that rush is over and now it's just going to be the long game so I don't care if the K33s take longer, I'll still be farming my solo plots with the new pool plots at the same time and slowly replacing them.

This has been a fun experiment for me regardless. My NAS is actually running 40Gb Ethernet and at one point I had two of my servers transferring at the same time and I saw almost 2GB/s writes. That's the first time I've ever seen the 40Gb come in handy lol.

Chia really wasn't an issue to get setup on linux IMO. I'm running it through SSH so no GUI. Just follow their command line guide and use '-h' for everything. Everything is documented with '-h' so it's pretty easy to figure it out.

For what it's worth, I was keeping my estimated time to win consistent with ~30 plots per day so I imagine if you want to actually see the time go down you'd need to be doing more than that. I've plotted ~72TB and could do another 10TB or so if I wanted to max out my NAS but at this point I'm going to keep it as swing space for when pooling comes out. I think I'm going to do K33s for pools. When I first started there was a mad rush to get as many plots out as quickly as possible. With how fast Chia grew I feel like that rush is over and now it's just going to be the long game so I don't care if the K33s take longer, I'll still be farming my solo plots with the new pool plots at the same time and slowly replacing them.

This has been a fun experiment for me regardless. My NAS is actually running 40Gb Ethernet and at one point I had two of my servers transferring at the same time and I saw almost 2GB/s writes. That's the first time I've ever seen the 40Gb come in handy lol.
I got it set up in linux , entered the 24 word code, but is asking for backup.... moving drives over is going to be a pain.

Must say, I am impressed with the way some of you guys are getting plots going.

To be honest I am about 5 years out of touch with pc building.

Is it worth moving your plots if you only have 50tb with the ever increasing net space?

Just fill her up and farm imo. Prep another system with Linux and get ready to replot for pooling.

Is it worth moving your plots if you only have 50tb with the ever increasing net space?

Just fill her up and farm imo. Prep another system with Linux and get ready to replot for pooling.
It has been 3 weeks and thanks to crashes from my optimizing attempts, I only have 12TB farmed. Hence my thought of trying linux, which fought me on drive permissions. Not a Linux expert. Feels like the cli on the Amiga, but I do not know the codes
meh... I'll keep plugging away.

So, chia coins are at the value of a 12TB drive.
40TB for about a month and no hope for 6 month to get a coin.
I think it is better to just buy the coins at this point... set up took me too long,

So, chia coins are at the value of a 12TB drive.
40TB for about a month and no hope for 6 month to get a coin.
I think it is better to just buy the coins at this point... set up took me too long,

I came to that conclusion when the network was at 7EB. Now it’s at 30+. There is no point except maybe in a pool, but that means you would have to re-plot everything again. No thanks.

I've been on hpool pulling in consistent profits with my solo plots.. you don't need to replot to join hpool. Make a cold wallet, send your coins there and don't worry about giving them your 24 passphrase.

Also, there are tons of shitcoins you can farm alongside XCH, most of them will be worthless but just like any other coin.. some of them will moon. Just collect for a few years and you'll be fine; the netspace for most of them are still really low at least compared to CHIA so the amount of coins you can get if you get in at launch is crazy if you have the plots.

I've been on hpool pulling in consistent profits with my solo plots.. you don't need to replot to join hpool. Make a cold wallet, send your coins there and don't worry about giving them your 24 passphrase.

Also, there are tons of shitcoins you can farm alongside XCH, most of them will be worthless but just like any other coin.. some of them will moon. Just collect for a few years and you'll be fine; the netspace for most of them are still really low at least compared to CHIA so the amount of coins you can get if you get in at launch is crazy if you have the plots.

Agreed, only I have seen nothing from my investment, and I could use the drives somewhere else and just buy Chia at 280 USD.
I have considered Monero... But is it really worth it at this point? I might as well buy some shit and see if it grows.

legcramp "don't worry about giving them your 24 passphrase."

huh? you never give anyone your passphrase, ever, for anything!

legcramp "don't worry about giving them your 24 passphrase."

huh? you never give anyone your passphrase, ever, for anything!

You have to use your passphrase to generate the API key to use their hpool harvester. Not really an issue if you don't store your coins at that address.

legcramp but you had said "Make a cold wallet, send your coins there"

Either way, them having your passphrase to make an API is questionable. They should not need your passphrase for anything. Why is it every other pool out there, you do not need to give your passphrase. This sounds shady as heck...as in one day they shut down shop and wallets that did have tokens in them are emptied.

I got into Chia before the Internet. Going to be worth a fortune!!

chiapet.png

legcramp but you had said "Make a cold wallet, send your coins there"

Either way, them having your passphrase to make an API is questionable. They should not need your passphrase for anything. Why is it every other pool out there, you do not need to give your passphrase. This sounds shady as heck...as in one day they shut down shop and wallets that did have tokens in them are emptied.

Because every other pool out there you need to replot or install an .exe like corepool. Isn't all of crypto questionable? Everyone should be sending their coins into a cold wallet anyways into a fire proof safe coated with heat resistant titanium and their cold wallet's pneumatic code engraved into a titanium sheet. :D

The initial plotting and then re-plotting for Pools took a toll on the 980 Pro. 80TB total plots created used up 44% of the drive.
So far made $10 with the pool.
My friend paid for all the drives including the 980 I used for plotting. I tried to talk him out of it but he wanted to try anyway.

Samsung-980-Pro-56-percent-Chia.jpg

I'm on pool.garden. Replotting beat up my 1tb inland premium, but it's still got 60% life left because I only have 23tb of plots. The 5950x was chewing through one every 39 minutes, though I wasn't pausing in between transfers. I was lucky enough to get my 2 chia early when I self plotted, now I'm getting like .01 every 1.5 days. Still more productive than mining burst would be right now.

Back