Any one in college?

nameless_centurian said:
i would hope that an expert in any technical field could pull in that amount.

but we aren't talking about experts. we're talking about college grads with a few certs. they only qualify as experts when they've gotten about 10 years under their belts in addition to all that other stuff.

Yea, I understand what your saying.

Average starting pay in the nation for a network admin (which is, usually, a higher grade job that requires more experience), is $200,000 a year according to forbes. This was on their website a while back.

Any good tech job, except for the janitorial work of like.. base programming and stuff like that, should pull in at least $150-$200 thousand a year when you've got some experience under your belt.

brucedeluxe169 said:
I go to New York University and am doing a Computer Science dual major with Economics and I love the program here. The professors are very friendly, and the overall environment here in the city is just fantastic.

Also, there are just tons and tons of girls here.... an amazing ratio.

I'm doing EXACTLY the same thing at UMD-College Park. And I absolutely love it.

The CS teachers are chill here, and have great sense of humors. Meanwhile, the Econ department is taught by a bunch of old guys, but old guys in touch with our generation. My econ professor incorporates LeBron James, Tony Stewart, Clinton Portis, and Kanye West into almost every lecture :D

Astrogiblet said:
Yea, I understand what your saying.

Average starting pay in the nation for a network admin (which is, usually, a higher grade job that requires more experience), is $200,000 a year according to forbes. This was on their website a while back.

Any good tech job, except for the janitorial work of like.. base programming and stuff like that, should pull in at least $150-$200 thousand a year when you've got some experience under your belt.

Seriously dude, lmk what planet those figures come from 'cause I'm moving there. Those are numbers for mid-level VPs and high level PMs. Those numbers sound extremely high, link please b/c if you're right I need to renegotiate some things. :D

EDIT: Maybe those figures are in pesos or something.

$200,000 for network admins? I'd think it'd take a guy several CCIE certs and 10+ years of expierence, and on top of that, working for a large company that can afford to pay their admin that much to earn that much money.

I'll toss another field out there...if I went to work for the NSA right after school (EE/CE/CS), I'd be starting ~$80,000 w/ the usual gov't perks, or so they tell me. I'd think net admins would be in the same range within 0-2 years as well.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
COputer hardware engineering > computer science...

Most computer hardware guys no WAY more software than computer science guys.. plus.. they know hardware :cool:

not a very good generalization. i'm sure most Computer Engineering folks are fairly proficient in 1 or 2 high-level programming languages, and most certainly have a better grasp of hardware design, but there's no reason to imply that CE in any way provides a better programming cirriculum than CS. CE just does a small subset of CS courses.

At the Univ. of TX, they just need Java Data Structures, no upper-division CS, and alot of EE, which, in terms of programming, probably involves a few ASM languages for various architectures and VHDL. CS, in terms of programming, has a deeper focus on logic and programming theory, with classes like AI, Automata, Compilers, Parallel Programming, etc.

fluxion said:
not a very good generalization. i'm sure most Computer Engineering folks are fairly proficient in 1 or 2 high-level programming languages, and most certainly have a better grasp of hardware design, but there's no reason to imply that CE in any way provides a better programming cirriculum than CS. CE just does a small subset of CS courses.

At the Univ. of TX, they just need Java Data Structures, no upper-division CS, and alot of EE, which, in terms of programming, probably involves a few ASM languages for various architectures and VHDL. CS, in terms of programming, has a deeper focus on logic and programming theory, with classes like AI, Automata, Compilers, Parallel Programming, etc.

OUr EE department teaches AI courses, and machine intelligence... as well as high level programming (mainly C/C++/C#).. of course in addition to assembly, and VHDL and verilog.. but VHDL and verilog aren't programing languges.. so i wouldn't count those
:confused:

nameless_centurian said:
not to slight you even the slightest bit, because i know that this is indeed possible..

....but what you're saying is highly, extremely unlikely.

possible? yes. definitely.

anywhere close to likely? no.. not by a long shot.

indeed. i have an AS and A+, cant even land a entry-level tech support job.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
OUr EE department teaches AI courses, and machine intelligence... as well as high level programming (mainly C/C++/C#).. of course in addition to assembly, and VHDL and verilog.. but VHDL and verilog aren't programing languges.. so i wouldn't count those
:confused:

sure they are programming languages, what you're actually programming just happens to be something other than a computer

and if that's the cirriculum at your school, well then that's pretty awesome. but i'm surprised they can offer so many programming classes without cutting you guys short on digital logic design and systems architecture.

fluxion said:
sure they are programming languages, what you're actually programming just happens to be something other than a computer

and if that's the cirriculum at your school, well then that's pretty awesome. but i'm surprised they can offer so many programming classes without cutting you guys short on digital logic design and systems architecture.

not everyone takes all those programming classes.. it's all about how you mix up your classes.. you get about 30 credits to take in whatever classes you want.. some peopel take more programming.. some peopel take more analog design.. some peopel take more digital design stuff. .depends on the person... plus our engineering program is a 4.5 to 5 year program..

I guess you can say VHDL and verilog are programming languages.. but techincally they're hardware description languages...

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
not everyone takes all those programming classes.. it's all about how you mix up your classes.. you get about 30 credits to take in whatever classes you want.. some peopel take more programming.. some peopel take more analog design.. some peopel take more digital design stuff. .depends on the person... plus our engineering program is a 4.5 to 5 year program..

I guess you can say VHDL and verilog are programming languages.. but techincally they're hardware description languages...

well, optional classes are another thing. CS majors here can take EE classes as part of their general sciences, in addition to the 2 required EE classes.

point is, there's no "killer app" of computer majors. software programmers should do CS, computer engineers should do EE or CE. if the school's cirriculum for a particular major is lacking, then it's best to go elsewhere rather than compromise on one's choice of majors. sometimes that's not an option, but the OP's primary question was about what college to attend.

Ok. When the article I read on forbes is actually needed to back up something, I can't find it. Argh.

Whatever.. I'm not sure the exact listing specifications, but it was like top paying jobs in the nation by averages.

It might of not even been forbes.

From the specs I'm now finding, net admins are making around $80,000 to $134,000 a year.

net admins are mostly high-experience positions, i dont think you could expect anywhere near $80k/year without having been in the industry for a good amount of time.

i read a recent paper which seems more along the lines of what a college student can expect to be making when he graduates:

starting pay for software engineers fresh out of school is about $55k/year

starting pay for CS, CE, ME, EE, ChE are all within $5k of each other, also averaging around $55k/year.

CS and EE job growth is slightly up. CE, ME and ChE are slightly down.

MSN Money article i believe. and this is by no means an accurate synopsis, but those are the numbers i seem to recall.

Astrogiblet said:
I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Here's the search I did: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...m+"network+administrator"++salary&btnG=Search

That results in two articles, both with substantially lower numbers than $200,000.

A sloppier search leads to this Forbes slideshow: http://www.forbes.com/2006/07/31/cx_pm_0731techjobs_1.html?thisSpeed=20000 where you find that Network Admins make an average of $106,000 in Montgomery, Alabama. The number is far out of line with the rest of the cities surveyed, which are mostly in the $70,000 range.

(Does that link not work? Read the story http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006/08/01/technology-careers-jobs_cx_pm_0801techjobs.html then use the "where each job pays best" link at the very bottom.)

fluxion said:
net admins are mostly high-experience positions, i dont think you could expect anywhere near $80k/year without having been in the industry for a good amount of time.

i read a recent paper which seems more along the lines of what a college student can expect to be making when he graduates:

starting pay for software engineers fresh out of school is about $55k/year

starting pay for CS, CE, ME, EE, ChE are all within $5k of each other, also averaging around $55k/year.

CS and EE job growth is slightly up. CE, ME and ChE are slightly down.

MSN Money article i believe. and this is by no means an accurate synopsis, but those are the numbers i seem to recall.

i'm interviewing for a job that offers very near the average (i won't say above or below), and a friend of mine was recently offered 60,500 at a company.

both companies are in pa, both of us will graduate in spring, both of us are CS

50-60 is about starting pay for CS..it's AVERAGE, that means it could be above or below by a little..this 200k BS is just that, bull crap. VPs make that kind of cash.

amromousa said:
50-60 is about starting pay for CS..it's AVERAGE, that means it could be above or below by a little..this 200k BS is just that, bull crap. VPs make that kind of cash.

Thank you (and mikeblas). I was about to consider moving, but your numbers seem reasonably close to what you'd get here. :)
(Of course, a lot of other things are different, but this isn't the time and place to discuss that. )

Astrogiblet said:
Ok. So you guys think I'm lying. I understand. Get over it and move on.

naw, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you are confused somehow --either in what you read (perhaps it was labeled wrong?) or you confused it with something else.

i REALLY don't think you're lying.

lol look at what i have started.....

But anyhow thank you every one with what you have said and it has made me thnk of the different paths i can take

nameless_centurian said:
naw, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you are confused somehow --either in what you read (perhaps it was labeled wrong?) or you confused it with something else.

i REALLY don't think you're lying.

Yea, this could be. I swear, I remember even what the page looked like, and being surprised myself. And of course, now I can't find shit on that again. Forbes changes their entire site like 5 times a day, I swear.

I'm in college....... again. This time it's a double Masters - an MBA and a Masters in Information Technology. As far as the MSIT degree goes, its been hard to accept that this degree is a "wavetop-level" setup. As a hardware enthusiast at heart, I find myself wanting more out of it, but I have been reminded more than once that this is a management-level degree which is what I wanted anyway. While I want to know everything there is to know about databases, web design, IT project management, IS design, etc, this degree won't teach me that. But that's ok.

I want to be a CIO when I grow up. I am dying for the chance to sit in the boardroom, lean over and say to the CEO, "Don't worry sir...... I speak geek." :D

I apologize, but I did not read the entire post, so maybe this has been said before... but I would recommend going to a school where you have a lot of options as far as major to explore. If I were you, I would go to the best school(s) you can afford then narrow it down to the best engineering programs. You can always change your mind once you get in as to your major, you can even transfer if moving doesn't bother you. You can likely minor or dual major in some sort of computer science. Engineers are highly sought after, so you will have more opportunities if you start broad. Personally, I go to Univ. of Florida (working on my masters in biology, no relevance here) and there are more majors than you can imagine...you can even make your own! Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth on one of the most important life decisions you will make. Good luck!

I went from Comp E to Csci to EE to Finance/Entreprenuership/MIS

Yeah i thought i was gonna be a computer person too. So enthusiastic etc.... its tough stuff.

BTW I HATE SCHEME!

Oh and i recommend U of MN-TC

MTXR said:
I went from Comp E to Csci to EE to Finance/Entreprenuership/MIS

Yeah i thought i was gonna be a computer person too. So enthusiastic etc.... its tough stuff.

BTW I HATE SCHEME!

Oh and i recommend U of MN-TC

me too, I'm planning to switch to econ major/cs minor , i too thought i was a comp person, but the amount of work is just too much for me. Way too much time spent on programming....

Why U of MN-TC?

Well, most of the IT department is top 25 in the nation depending what magazine you read. Alot of the departments are very good in what they do. I know that the applied econ is #1 in the nation.

I go to U of MN-TC, but i am in the Biz school which is ranked in the top 10 in the nation among public schools.

I like it because it is a very large school, i think 2nd largest campus in the nation.

Cost of goods and living expenses are not that high, or well lets say they aren't like the east/west coast. And its diverse.

If you don't mind the cold look into RIT.

i'm a first year doin CS at the moment. I'm in a special cs class where every project is based on a game (programming some aspect of the game). Its alot of fun so far.

Back