Any of you guys use the video desktop feature in Vista?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
It looked up front. I used the Van Halen Hot for teacher video for the desktop. :D

Looked awesome actually. BUT it slowly started to bug me.

Anybody else use it and really like it?

I use it anytime I show someone what Vista's like....for the wow factor, bu that's it. I have it turned off all the other times.

I started to look at it this week, found that it's a bit much sometimes, so I have been looking for some video that very slowly changes or has not to much action in it.

I currently use the initial one from MS; Very little movement, not that distracting. The rest of them are too much ( for me ).

I was hoping I wasnt the only one that was distracted by it.

But when those ladies with the swimsuits come on, I had a tendency to stop what I was doing. :p

I tried it with the last nvidia drivers and it kept crashing the desktop after 6 or more hours so I turned it off. I haven't used it with the latest drivers.

It was neat for about an hour, but really didn't do much for me overall. I either have multiple windows open covering the desktop or one window maximized. So I never really saw it anyway.

I tried it on my GF6200 and it used way too much CPU utilization with the included dreamscene samples on older drivers. Maybe I should try again with the newer drivers,

I use a plasma type Dreamscape that is nice. Changes slowly, acts as a screensaver, and is not distracting.

Those full on motion videos of real life stuff are just terribly bothering.

I did until the Novelty wore off :)

I'll try it again when it goes final. My favorite was the waterfall.

Other moving desktops, where the entire desktop was moving around, were FAR too irritating after a while. Sea sickness comes to mind.

The waterfall one is cool because only the water is moving.

I use my machines to be productive, so I don't see why anyone would bother with such a feature. To me, it just seems like marketing garbage from MS. They should have been putting their time into multiple desktops. I'd take that over any feature of Vista any day.

I use my machines to be productive, so I don't see why anyone would bother with such a feature. To me, it just seems like marketing garbage from MS. They should have been putting their time into multiple desktops. I'd take that over any feature of Vista any day.

Indeed. But their sandbox, they can do whatever they want.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the features of CentOS5's 3d desktop in vista. But that's just me. :)

I had an Opeth video that i used to try it out.

ony my friends laptop I put a "Hello I'm a Mac" video :D

subtle videos can be pleasant ...but previous nvidia drivers didnt like it ..havent tried it with new drivers yet tho

Still waiting on the drivers to mature. I've made a few of my own that I'd like to spend more time natively viewing before I submit them. There's also a dang good collection over at wincustomize. Though, I don't think I'll be uploading mine there as they end-up forcing you to register for an account.

Fair enough, but I'm very productive on my machine and as long as these are subtle I don't feel they do distract "too much", in fact I feel they are quite good at keeping your sanity if done well.

IMO, I'm glad Microsoft has made a step closer to dynamic wallpaper.

I too found it distracting. I turned it off too after less than a full day.

I did try and make one for the Hellgate London loo, but I couldn't get it to where there was no stutter at the transition from beginning to end of the loop.

Back