Any of you guys converting?

Hippee

n00b
I've always been a long time fan of AMD ever since the K6's. Im looking to upgrade my PC as soon as the DX10 cards come out. but my issue is the new Intel CPU's are really giving AMD a run for there money. the question is, To be loyal or to go with benchmarks which ive always done. Sadly for the first time in years Intel now has my attention...What to do!?!? :confused:

What would be the point in being loyal? I like AMD as well but i only care about the product, not the company. I'm not gonna buy something that sucks compared to the competition so if Conroe comes out with a blast i probably wont stay on AMD hardware for long.

ROFL Asian, I think that's what my desktop has turned into at this point, about to just keep it booting linux because my E1705 w/ 7900go is more powerful :)... I think I'll sell the GPU and buy more HD's :)

Wait until Conroe comes out. Period.

Conroe's performance looks impressive and AMD plans substantial price drops the day after Conroe is released. So it's a win-win situation.

The landscape maybe very different once the DX10 cards actually debut, since it's going to be quite a ways down the road.

Depending what your needs are, I would do the upgrade 'on the cheap' only upgrading what you need. For instance if you have 2gb of DDR, I would just grab a cheap 939 setup after the pricecuts.

If you are upgrading from say, a p3 with pc-133 ram, I would definetely go a setup with DDR2.

Well right now my setup is a AMD 2500+ barton @ 2.4ghz. x800xl 256mb, 512 geil ddr400 2-2-2-5, DFI lan party nForce 2 ultra rev.A. So. And im going to college so money isnt the greatest. Are they going to come out with any conroe's below like the 300$ mark? b/c im looking for about a 1000$ upgrade. How much longer till DX10 cards come, arnt they supposed to come out in fall.

heres another question, Dose anyone know what AMD's awanser is to the uprise in intel? i heard that there going to have a new arch. within a year or so. any word on that?

Hippee said:
Well right now my setup is a AMD 2500+ barton @ 2.4ghz. x800xl 256mb, 512 geil ddr400 2-2-2-5, DFI lan party nForce 2 ultra rev.A. So. And im going to college so money isnt the greatest. Are they going to come out with any conroe's below like the 300$ mark? b/c im looking for about a 1000$ upgrade. How much longer till DX10 cards come, arnt they supposed to come out in fall.

heres another question, Dose anyone know what AMD's awanser is to the uprise in intel? i heard that there going to have a new arch. within a year or so. any word on that?

amd will counter with the K8L architecture... but don't expect it to be out Q1 2007 at the earliest

I have been using AMD for a while but when it comes time for my next upgrade - it's whatever is faster. No question. I like supporting the "little guy" or the "underdog" but I also want to have the fastest machine I can get for my money. It will be a while before I do a major overhaul, but If I was planning one right now, I'd be looking at the Conroe cpu's...

I am going to build a Conroe box shortly after launch as I have done with every new CPU that has hit the market for the last 5 years. My personal user experiences heavily influence my overall outlook at technology and certainly I will share that with you guys.

I just upgraded to an Opteron 165 recently so this new system will last me another 2 years at least. By that time something else will hit the market which is better than the Conroe. Hopefully AMD will have something to fire back with.

Cost will be the factor. Price of processor is not only thing I concern about. Price of DDR2 is not cheap in canada.

Seeing as how my box is AMD now and my watercooling setup is for an AMD processor and I'm still on a single core San Diego, I'm going to stick with AMD for now and pick up a 170 dual core opterown after the price drop. :)

It would just be too much to switch all around for conroe, unless it's really that much better. Most likely I'm just going to be cashing in on the price drop :D

Right now I'm on a 3700 claw 754, and I'm not sure what I will do. Myy box is still chugging along quite nicely, although I am feeling the itch to get a pci-e motherboard and new video, which I intend to do relatively soon.

I'll likely wait for another year or two before upgrading my processor and jumping to DDR2, since more than anything else I'm feeling the need for more screen real estate and less desk clutter.

Really, I think my next whole system will be a laptop anyway, since they're finally getting good enough graphics to game with.

Another 512megs of ram would help you, especially if you're running XP

if you're willing to buy a new CPU AND mobo, then conroe appears to be the best bet, esecially since you have a socket A system.

Me personally, already having an s939 system, am going to upgrade to a 3800 X2 once the prices drop, AMD will keep me for another year or two

I have been with both amd and intel and generally let the cpu speed determine my purchase. If conroe turns out to be just as described than im wating in line at launch to get my grubby hands on one.

I upgraded recently and at earliest i'd upgrade again in two years. I choose whatever gives me the most bang for the buck. So if i were to upgrade within the next few months it would probably be a conroe unless amd outprices them.

umm, if im not mistaken, Dont most of us praise the computer gods that one day we will have video cards that will have 2 gigs of ddr6 that run at 2ghz/4.2ghz and processors that someday will have more cores then fingers and toes and have more ghz's then the hairs on your entire body. Tehe...

Ok heres the next chalenge for ya guys.
soon ill buy another 512mb for my box now.

my next box will be watercooled. In that case dose anyone know how expensive the conroe's will be? even the lowest one? becuase with watercooling i know i can get the temp of an opty niceee and cool =). But It also looks like i may be waiting untill the fall to upgrade due to DX10. i mean i think everyone agrees that its just a terrible time to upgrade. so i guess what im asking is 1. Will conroe's be cheap enough for a 1000$ upgrade with a 300-400$ video card. 2. If Conroe's are coming out in july, would it be worth it to really hold out untill DX10 cards. i really dont wanna hold out but it seems like thats the only smart thing to do.

Judging from the posts and responses, I think it's safe to say that AMD will lose about 60% of it's market right off bat from the enthusiast market...

I don't think AMD will let this happen.

I just upgraded from a 1700+ tbred to a Opteron 165.
So no, i won't be upgrading as the dual core opty will probably last me another 2 years.

At work, i have a p4-2.53, no HT, and I am starting to get into vmware and 64bit xp testing, so i could order an amd machine now, but i am waiting until Conroe comes out to decide.

So in my case, i'm not going to ditch something that's perfectly good, but I'm damn sure going to wait to buy with something this huge coming down the pipe.

I like my AMD box, but if something comes out faster and it's cheap... well, I'll buy that.

That said, I won't be in the market for a new PC for at least another 6 months and by then, perhaps K8L will be out. We'll see about that, but at this point I would seriously consider Conroe :)

Last intel was a P100. I'm getting a E6600 though for sure. Used to buy AMD for bang for the buck. Then I got older and more of a performance hound without empty pockets, I bought lots of A64's because they were better. I guess that's why it's been so long. The timing of events. But now I'm on my way out of AMD town.

If you want the top performance your only option is to convert. These Conroes are better than Athlon 64 by a long shot... and overclock about 1GHz farther.

I know that there awesome overclockers and everything i just kinda need to know how much the cheapest one is gonna be, and if there is major differences between the lower and higher end models, im pretty sure that i heard something about the stepping being different from the high end models. anyway, is someone could post up some specs of each Conroe model with details and Prices that would be a BIG help

Ockie said:
Judging from the posts and responses, I think it's safe to say that AMD will lose about 60% of it's market right off bat from the enthusiast market...

I don't think AMD will let this happen.

Wow 20 people is 60% of AMD enthusiast Market? If so then they must be making no money at all.

Anyway your talking about a small portion of people saying there going to get a intel machine next. Dosn't mean they wont ever buy AMD again and it dosn't mean they will never buy a low end AMD machine. Your talking about Intel is at the top of a market that is very small in sales. There is probably 100x more sales of the sempron or single core athlon64's then there ever will be of the fx line or EE line. The bread and butter is still in the cheaper products.

I sold my A64 box a month ago to get ready for an E6600. I am an AMD !!!!!! at heart, but to pay twice the price for half the performance is just nonsense IMO.

I just hope ASUS makes an affordable, OCable Intel mobo.

I will buy what it fastest at the time for my price point, just like every other componant of my compter.

My A64 should hold up for another year or so, maybe AMD will have K8L out by then

Wherever the performance is defines where I go. As of now, nVidia and AMD are the winning team, although nV statement will draw fire from phanbois....and besides X1900XT = LOUD!!!!!

Brahmzy said:
I just hope ASUS makes an affordable, OCable Intel mobo.
i just sold my cpu + mobo + ram for Conroe, i just need a cheap mobo that can OC the E6600 to 3.0ghz and i'm happy :)

i'm with ya on this one

When it is all said and done boys and girls, all you have to remember is that, if not for AMD, you would still be paying $600-$800 for Intel CPUs (even at the low end) and they likely would not be nearly as fast.

Conroe technology was born of that competition, and as long as AMD is around and putting out quality stuff, Intel will not be allowed to lapse into mediocrity again. Not without paying the price for it. The past few years prove they are not beyond make a miscue here and there. Now, they have learned, through loss of marketshare at all ends of the spectrum, from laptops to servers, that AMD is legit and if you don't keep up the R&D, they will be happy to take more.

Good for Intel if Conroe actually turns out to be what the early reports say it is! If this moves AMD in a direction that results in something better, then we have competition at its finest, and we the consumer stand to benefit.

Looky looky!

Tentative pricing for Conroe CPU purchased in quantities of 1000. [1]

Core 2 Extreme Series - 1066 MT/s FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4

Core X6900 - 3.2 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 4 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 80 W - $999 - Q4

Core X6800 - 2.93 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 4 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65 W - $999 - Q3, Price reduced by Q4.

Core 2 Duo E6x00 Series - 1066 MT/s FSB, EM64T, EIST, VT, SSE4

Core E6700 - 2.67 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 4 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65 W - $530 - Q3

Core E6600 - 2.40 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 4 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP 65 W - $316 - Q3

Core E6400 - 2.13 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 2 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP < 65 W - $224 - Q3

Core E6300 - 1.86 GHz, 1066 MT/s FSB, 2 × 32 KB L1, 2 MB L2, Dual Core, TDP < 65 W - $183 - Q3

Back