Any non-google/Android or Apple phones out there?

I own a Pinephone and it's not really quite there yet imo.
In the meantime there are android phones which run Ubuntu Touch or you can 'degoogle' your phone by running any AOSP rom without GAPPS and instead use F-Droid.

Huawei phones are non-Google phones, though I'm not sure you'd rather have Chinese spyware vs US spyware.

They're still using Android, just not with Google apps and services.

The truly Google-less devices come out in 2021, when Huawei releases phones based on its Harmony OS.

Researching the Pine64 company looks like pinephone isn't very far from China either.

"In January 2020, Pine Microsystems Inc. was dissolved while Pine Store Limited was incorporated on December 5, 2019 in Hong Kong and store.pine64.org claims to operate under the laws of Malaysia and China."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine64

There is almost no point in owning non-Android and/or non-Apple smart phone if you want to have apps. It makes more sense to get an old flip phone with the same basic functions today's non-iOS and/or non-Android phones provide. I think communication security is an exception, in which case you should go with a cryptophone (from GSMK or ESD). Librem 5 is NOT a cryptophone. It provides a bit more security (or maybe just sense of security) than today's typical iOS or Android phone at the cost of being heavily app-limited, assuming you try to stick to Zero Trust-like policies.

AOSP, Ubuntu touch, lineageOS, /e/ project, but almost all of these require you to flash your phone. Advantages you don't have your phone phoning home, the apps aren't all that limited either for some of these, especially the AOSP flavors of which there are many. Will some apps not work? yep...but those are mainly Google based apps, however most of those have alternatives. Here is a decent video on using a degoogled phone this channel has many other videos on degoogled phones, as well as reviews on linux phones as well.

If security or privacy is a concern, I think Android is still acceptable.

Just get a good VPN provider, and use end-2-end encryption like Signal.

Should be about the best you can do without serious inconvenience.

There are some kaios phones. Mostly feature phones...but they're there if that's your jam.

I've got a drawer full of Windows Phones. If you're not going to use any apps, they're nice. I'd probably look for a WP 8 phone rather than Windows Mobile 10. Mobile IE is garbage, but Mobile Edge is worse (unless they made it tolerable after I gave up; Edge might be ok if you get a 900 series phone).

Otherwise, Nokia 8110 4G in yellow. (KaiOS)

The problem, like many Linux-based phones, is that it's using seriously old hardware. "It runs Linux" is about the only real selling point!
It can run linux yes, but can also come preloaded with stock android or lineage (degoogled android the topic of this thread btw). It does have a 3 year old chip, the snapdragon 835, which is still fast enough for me personally it may or may not be fast enough for others at the given price. It also has a keyboard which may or may not attract some users. It also has a user replaceable battery which some users will appreciate. I'm not shilling for this product as I don't work for them nor am not in the market for any phone atm, but it is an attractive alternative to the usual brands out there.

Samsung Also killed Tizen, which also was linux.. microsoft killed Windows phone which was the only one different to android and iOS.. so for now, nope, only android and iOS

The Freedom Phone is the only option that will compete with the current phones made available. The Pine and Puri are the only other options but again, as the forum has shown will not compete with the new technology.

The Freedom Phone is the only option that will compete with the current phones made available. The Pine and Puri are the only other options but again, as the forum has shown will not compete with the new technology.
The Freedom Phone is just a rebadged Umidigi handset with mildly customized firmware. You're still using Android. It's a scam to take advantage of gullible people who cry "censorship!" when Facebook takes down their misinformation.

Back