Any news on whether Threadripper 3 will support AVX512?

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
Since there is nothing legally holding them back from doing so, is there any rumors or hearsay that AMD is going to finally implement AVX 512 into the new series?

I could really use it for video work in the HEVC space. Hell I have no idea when the NDA lifts so we will know details.

Thanks

Since there is nothing legally holding them back from doing so, is there any rumors or hearsay that AMD is going to finally implement AVX 512 into the new series?

I could really use it for video work in the HEVC space. Hell I have no idea when the NDA lifts so we will know details.

Thanks
I am guessing no, since AVX256 is only available on Ryzen 3 processors. The following is what I was able to dig up... Something about less of a performance penalty for Workloads:

AVX-512 : not yet ; But has an improved AVX2 "AMD has stated that there is no frequency penalty for AVX2, based on its energy aware frequency platform" https://www.anandtech.com/print/14525/amd-zen-2-microarchite...

Avx512 is a nothing burger even mor than sse2 was this time around because they both implement it differently instead of one not having a narrow use-case instruction.
Check out servethehome benchmarks of latest epyc vs Xeon and your answer is there, AMD doesn't need to fully support it to be as fast or faster in most situations..
Zen3 you might have luck but as above it doesn't need direct 512 support to be competitive or faster..

Thanks

Last time I looked into it for HEVC encoding using it didn't seem to scale very well across many cores. Might be great for laptops but for cascade lake x or threadripper shouldn't matter much. Intel has a detailed pdf available with benchmarks for HEVC with AVX512.

Last time I looked into it for HEVC encoding using it didn't seem to scale very well across many cores. Might be great for laptops but for cascade lake x or threadripper shouldn't matter much. Intel has a detailed pdf available with benchmarks for HEVC with AVX512.

Hrmm, I've never been able to try it and see. Hevc with wavefront parallel processing hauls ass across all.your cores. My 3900x can approach gpu speeds using it. I was thinking avx 512 might be icing on the cake.

Back